synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set
Author Message
 synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

Quote:

--
The asynch reset is best used in a circuit when you want to reset on
power-on or to initialize the circuit as a whole. In the normal

In general, designs should be totally synchronous unless you have a very
good reason.

Rick Collins

remove the XY to email me.

Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

Hi,everyone:
I have heared that it is better to use synchronous reset/set than to use
asynchronous reset/set,
Why?  And when I must use asynchronous reset/set, what do I need to be
attention?
Thanks
Chenmin

Sun, 08 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

Quote:

> Hi,everyone:
> I have heared that it is better to use synchronous reset/set than to use
> asynchronous reset/set,
> Why?  And when I must use asynchronous reset/set, what do I need to be
> attention?
> Thanks
> Chenmin

Asynchronous chip design should be avoided because:

- It complicates the static timing analysis
- It complicates the automatic scan test insertion
- It may lead to very risky race condition
- Automatic reoptimizing after layout is difficult and risky
- portability is not ensure

In fact all tools used in a design flow works very well when
the design is synchronous and MANY MANY problems appears when
the design is partially asynchronous.

A single clock, a single clock edge, no latch, no async
set/reset pins on FF, no internal bidir, no internal tri state,
no gated clock is a way for success.

With today technology, gates count is non longer an issue
(20000 g/mm2 in 0.35 um, 35000 g/mm2 in 0.25 um) so in my
opinion, there are no good reason at all to use the asynchronous
FF reset/set pins.

The only case where asynchronous reset/set may be tolerated is
for simulation power up where some/all FF async clear inputs
are tied together with a chip reset pin.

Bye

Sun, 08 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

Quote:

> > Hi,everyone:
> > I have heared that it is better to use synchronous reset/set than to use
> > asynchronous reset/set,
> > Why?  And when I must use asynchronous reset/set, what do I need to be
> > attention?
> > Thanks
> > Chenmin

> Asynchronous chip design should be avoided because:

> - It complicates the static timing analysis
> - It complicates the automatic scan test insertion
> - It may lead to very risky race condition
> - Automatic reoptimizing after layout is difficult and risky
> - portability is not ensure

> In fact all tools used in a design flow works very well when
> the design is synchronous and MANY MANY problems appears when
> the design is partially asynchronous.

> A single clock, a single clock edge, no latch, no async
> set/reset pins on FF, no internal bidir, no internal tri state,
> no gated clock is a way for success.

> With today technology, gates count is non longer an issue
> (20000 g/mm2 in 0.35 um, 35000 g/mm2 in 0.25 um) so in my
> opinion, there are no good reason at all to use the asynchronous
> FF reset/set pins.

> The only case where asynchronous reset/set may be tolerated is
> for simulation power up where some/all FF async clear inputs
> are tied together with a chip reset pin.

> Bye

All very good advice to ease the pain of chip design. If by synchronous
reset/set you mean that that you have pins on your FF's which will
reset/set your FF on an active edge of the clock then I would go one
stage further and suggest you avoid FF's of this type. If you require
your FF's to enter a particular state for a particular event, it is
better to do your design so that they are loaded via the D-input. The
reason I say this is that if your FF has reset/set pins which are
controlled via another FF (in the same or a different scan chain), it is
quite easy to reset/set that FF when running scan tests. Obviously the
quality of your test tool will determine if it can "understand" this
type of structure and make allowances for it.

Steve.
* Steve Emm, Philips Semiconductors, Southampton, U.K.             *

* tel   : +44 1703 316361                 (fax  : +44 1703 316303) *

Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

what if you take the reset pin of the chip, synchronize it using two dffs and the
connect the output to all the asynch reset inputs of all dffs ? Is this an OK use
of the asynch reset ?

Quote:

>> Hi,everyone:
>> I have heared that it is better to use synchronous reset/set than to use
>> asynchronous reset/set,
>> Why?  And when I must use asynchronous reset/set, what do I need to be
>> attention?
>> Thanks
>> Chenmin

>Asynchronous chip design should be avoided because:

>- It complicates the static timing analysis
>- It complicates the automatic scan test insertion
>- It may lead to very risky race condition
>- Automatic reoptimizing after layout is difficult and risky
>- portability is not ensure

>In fact all tools used in a design flow works very well when
>the design is synchronous and MANY MANY problems appears when
>the design is partially asynchronous.

>A single clock, a single clock edge, no latch, no async
>set/reset pins on FF, no internal bidir, no internal tri state,
>no gated clock is a way for success.

>With today technology, gates count is non longer an issue
>(20000 g/mm2 in 0.35 um, 35000 g/mm2 in 0.25 um) so in my
>opinion, there are no good reason at all to use the asynchronous
>FF reset/set pins.

>The only case where asynchronous reset/set may be tolerated is
>for simulation power up where some/all FF async clear inputs
>are tied together with a chip reset pin.

>Bye

muzo

Wed, 11 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. synchronous reset/set or asynchronous reset/set

2. RESET --- Synchronous Vs Asynchronous

3. reset: asynchronous vs. synchronous

4. RESET --- Synchronous Vs Asynchronous

5. Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Reset

6. reset: asynchronous vs. synchronous

7. Setting & resetting screen resolution

8. I want to set or reset Windows system clock from within LabView

9. Experts opinion requested for flip-flop model with async set/reset

10. Global set/reset

11. Flip-flop w async set and reset

12. D-FF with async set/reset