Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)
Author Message
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)

Hi,

I've just uploaded vhdl-posix-0.1.tar.gz to

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

This is mostly a proof-of-concept and to get feedback.  It includes a
(very minimal) HTTP server written in VHDL!

From the README:

    This is version 0.1 of the vhdl-posix package.  It provides
    support for accessing POSIX features from VHDL.

    Currently, there is some useful support for Modelsim, and some
    initial code for the Synopsys implementations of VHPI.  VHPI is
    largely untested.

    VHDL is a nice language for simulating hardware.  It is not so
    nice for interacting with the environment of the simulator.  Given
    that a simulation is just a program, after all, you might want to
    do things that other programs do: open network connections,
    launching processes, and reacting to outside events.

    VHDL itself does not provide the means for this, but each
    simulator likely offers support for doing things that are `out of
    the ordinary', by allowing calls to code written in C.

    This package aims to provide a portable way of accessing selected
    features of POSIX.  It should be portable across different POSIX
    implementations, and across different simulators.

- Marius

Mon, 24 May 2004 01:39:06 GMT
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)
Um,

Can I ask, "Why?"

baffled,

> Hi,

> I've just uploaded vhdl-posix-0.1.tar.gz to

>     http://freesoftware.fsf.org/download/vhdl-posix/

> This is mostly a proof-of-concept and to get feedback.  It includes a
> (very minimal) HTTP server written in VHDL!

> From the README:

>     This is version 0.1 of the vhdl-posix package.  It provides
>     support for accessing POSIX features from VHDL.

>     Currently, there is some useful support for Modelsim, and some
>     initial code for the Synopsys implementations of VHPI.  VHPI is
>     largely untested.

>     VHDL is a nice language for simulating hardware.  It is not so
>     nice for interacting with the environment of the simulator.  Given
>     that a simulation is just a program, after all, you might want to
>     do things that other programs do: open network connections,
>     launching processes, and reacting to outside events.

>     VHDL itself does not provide the means for this, but each
>     simulator likely offers support for doing things that are `out of
>     the ordinary', by allowing calls to code written in C.

>     This package aims to provide a portable way of accessing selected
>     features of POSIX.  It should be portable across different POSIX
>     implementations, and across different simulators.

> - Marius

Tue, 25 May 2004 02:55:34 GMT
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)

Quote:

> Um,

> Can I ask, "Why?"

Heh, of course.  "Why not?".  The web server thingy was mostly a joke,
and "because it can be done".  The motivation for vhdl-posix in
general is that I have trouble integrating VHDL simulations with
external tools, like hooking gdb to a simulated processor (leon, in
our case).  Also, it seems worthwhile to be able to read and write
binary files, and generally have more control over I/O.

What do you think is wrong with it?

Tue, 25 May 2004 04:29:43 GMT
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)

Good work. I think it is a great idea. This will take testbenches
to a new level. Imagine opening pipes to other programs that provide
stimulus or even connecting a VHDL model to a real device. Ofcourse
things like this can be done with Verilog like PLI but this exposes
all operating system facilities to the VHDL programmer without having to
switch languages. Now, if we can make this package available from
all simulators :-) In my opinion something like should actually be a
standard that people can count on.

Thanx again for this great contribution. I will be looking forward
to working with this package and seeing it grow and get adopted.

Regards,
Haneef

Symphony EDA
www.symphonyeda.com

Tue, 25 May 2004 09:52:14 GMT
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)

Quote:

> Good work. I think it is a great idea. This will take testbenches
> to a new level. Imagine opening pipes to other programs that provide
> stimulus or even connecting a VHDL model to a real device. Ofcourse
> things like this can be done with Verilog like PLI but this exposes
> all operating system facilities to the VHDL programmer without having to
> switch languages.

Proprietary systems exist for at least Leapfrog and NCVHDL (and
Modelsim too I guess, although I have never used it), and they
work nicely, indeed.

Quote:
> Now, if we can make this package available from all simulators :-)
> In my opinion something like should actually be a standard that
> people can count on.

Funny you should say this... :) Just yesterday we were a little bit
disappointed to note that Simili doesn't (yet?) seem to provide a
suitable external interface for that, or are we wrong? (Of course,
I'm not complaining about a nice simulator you can get for free.)

Cheers,
  Colin

Tue, 25 May 2004 17:47:13 GMT
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)

Quote:

> Proprietary systems exist for at least Leapfrog and NCVHDL (and
> Modelsim too I guess, although I have never used it), and they
> work nicely, indeed.

Ah, intersting.  Can you say more about them?  Thanks.

Tue, 25 May 2004 19:41:17 GMT
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)

Quote:

>> Proprietary systems exist for at least Leapfrog and NCVHDL (and
>> Modelsim too I guess, although I have never used it), and they
>> work nicely, indeed.

> Ah, intersting.  Can you say more about them?  Thanks.

Looks like Mentor's Seamless CVE is the only commercial one left
(<http://www.mentorg.com/seamless/index.html>) as seemingly
Synopsys's Eagle-i and Summit's VCPU have bitten the dust.

The other one I know of is an in-house tool.

Cheers,
  Colin

Tue, 25 May 2004 20:17:10 GMT
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)
Is it only me????
This is not a new idea.
I had Altera around here about three months ago, they demonstrated a web
server in vhdl using their Nios, Excalibur and SOPC builder.

--
Benjamin Todd
European Organisation for Nuclear Research

Quote:

> >> Proprietary systems exist for at least Leapfrog and NCVHDL (and
> >> Modelsim too I guess, although I have never used it), and they
> >> work nicely, indeed.

> > Ah, intersting.  Can you say more about them?  Thanks.

> Looks like Mentor's Seamless CVE is the only commercial one left
> (<http://www.mentorg.com/seamless/index.html>) as seemingly
> Synopsys's Eagle-i and Summit's VCPU have bitten the dust.

> The other one I know of is an in-house tool.

> Cheers,
>   Colin

Sun, 30 May 2004 00:36:47 GMT
 Web server in VHDL? (vhdl-posix-0.1)

Quote:

> Is it only me????
> This is not a new idea.
> I had Altera around here about three months ago, they demonstrated a web
> server in vhdl using their Nios, Excalibur and SOPC builder.

Well, nobody has ever come up with a generic, free and POSIX'y solution.
The web server is just a nice, placative example for a working two-way
communication.

Cheers,
  Colin

Sun, 30 May 2004 19:22:43 GMT

1. VHDL-AMS and VHDL'93 Web parser

2. Xemacs VHDL mode (vhdl.zip file, 83 Kbytes) - vhdl.zip (1/1)

3. POSIX for VHDL?

4. Generic Server for Dolphin now has web server with ST servlets and ST server pages

5. VHDL-200x, The Future of VHDL

6. VHDL-93 generates different concatenation results from VHDL-87

7. Selection of VHDL non-commercial VHDL Simulator

8. serching for vhdl courses/cherche des cours de vhdl

9. MVP - Make VHDL Pretty - VHDL Prettifier

10. Differences Between VHDL 87 and VHDL 93

11. Matlab/Simulink -> VHDL(VHDL-AMS)

12. ModelSim or Aldec VHDL simulator for VHDL ????