Verbal Descriptions of Reactive Systems
Author Message
 Verbal Descriptions of Reactive Systems

Hi all,

this is not exactly the right newsgroup but hopefully you can help
and give me hints about literature and internet ressources.

Topics of interest are reactive systems, protocols, HW/SW-Codesign,
Extended Sequence Charts (ESC), and VHDL, of course.

[ESC is a specification method for reactive systems and looks like
 a mixture of message sequence charts and SDL.]

Goals of my work are to adopt ESC to real needs and to compare it to
other "usual" tools/methods like StateCharts, SpeedChart, or
SpecCharts.

So I need examples of *real* reactive systems (controllers) and
communication protocols. I know, these can become very big. But I
don't want to develop real systems, I only want to describe the
systems functionality with ESC on a rather high abstraction level.
I'm looking for verbal but detailed descriptions of reactive
systems. It would be nice to verify the ESC-model (possibly through
a testbench) and compare it to the other possible descriptions
(lines of code/file size, simulation time, ...).

Any help and helpful hints appreciated.

  Dietmar
--

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Verbal Descriptions of Reactive Systems

Dietmar,
why not try the P1394 ("firewire") standard?
It is a serial interface, so you avoid all kinds of asynchronous issues,
and takes about 26k gates (I'm told) to build the controller.  So, that
should be a good real-world problem.  Plus, you could actually go to
hardware and put it in an FPGA and see if you really did capture the
system's behavior.

Erik Jessen

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Functional Programming and Reactive Systems

2. Questions: The System Description File

3. Description of Project labels in SCC system

4. LPNMR'97: Final call for System Descriptions

5. reactive the HLT

6. A Visual Rather Than Verbal Future

7. How's your NON-VERBAL?

8. a technological society requires visual literacy skills as well as verbal skills

9. Verbal curses and REXX/Curses

10. Os accepts verbal instructions, difficult?

11. OZ++ system released with compiler, execution system and management systems

12. APL, J syntax descriptions; PD software