Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95
Author Message
 Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95

Hi everyone !

I am looking for some EDA tools that are running under Win 95/ Win NT PC's.

The tools should have :
      - VHDL compiler & simulator
      - FPGA synthesis
      - some way to check that what goes out from synthesis is what you
need

Anyone knows some tools like that please let me know. I heard about
PeakVHDL,
but I need some other, for comparison. Price/quality is the issue here.

Thank you, everybody.

Ovidiu Lupas
Design Engineer
TimTeh Electronics Ltd.

Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95

> Hi everyone !

> I am looking for some EDA tools that are running under Win 95/ Win NT PC's.

> The tools should have :
>       - VHDL compiler & simulator
>       - FPGA synthesis
>       - some way to check that what goes out from synthesis is what you
> need

> Anyone knows some tools like that please let me know. I heard about
> PeakVHDL,
> but I need some other, for comparison. Price/quality is the issue here.

For a list of VHDL compilers (some of them with synthesis tools available)
take a look at Part 3 of the VHDL FAQ (http://www.vhdl.org/comp.lang.vhdl/).

For FPGA development systems see http://www.optimagic.com/ . Especially
take a look at the free/low-cost/demo software list.

Bye,...
Edwin

Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95

Quote:
>I am looking for some EDA tools that are running under Win 95/ Win NT PC's.

>The tools should have :
>      - VHDL compiler & simulator
>      - FPGA synthesis
>      - some way to check that what goes out from synthesis is what you
>need

Here is a set of tools which we recommend you evaluate as the complete
solution for FPGA synthesis:

VHDL Editor:
===========

http://www.silicon-systems.com                    ED4W-HDL  or ED4W-HDL
EXPERT

Simulator:
========

http://www.model.com                                    ModelSim

Synthesis:
========

http://www.synplicity.com                                Synplify and HDL
Analyst (for schmatic viewing)

All the tools above have evaluation periods of about 1 month.

Regards.

John

Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95

Quote:

>I am looking for some EDA tools that are running under Win 95/ Win NT PC's.

>The tools should have :
>      - VHDL compiler & simulator
>      - FPGA synthesis
>      - some way to check that what goes out from synthesis is what you
>need

>Anyone knows some tools like that please let me know. I heard about
>PeakVHDL,
>but I need some other, for comparison. Price/quality is the issue here.

Don't forget to look at "Electric".  This is a full EDA package with VHDL
compilation.  Source code is available a the Free Software Foundation
site.  For the latest version, download:

     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/electric-5.4g3.tar.gz

(although version 5.4g4 will be out soon...fixes BSD compilation, among
other things).

Although this free version of Electric has no specific FPGA code in it,
the system was used by the DynaChip corporation as the basis of their FPGA
software.  Therefore, you can get technology mappers as well as FPGA
architecture and layout facilities.

To repeat an earlier message, here are some of the features of Electric:

Quote:
> Platform independence.  This source release compiles under UNIX, Windows

and Macintosh.

Quote:
> Design both Schematic circuits and ASICs (has many IC design rule sets

including the latest quad-metal MOSIS submicron rules).

Quote:
> Many built-in tools (DRC, Simulation, Routing, Silicon Compilation, VHDL

interface, Network Consistency Checking, Compaction, Compensation, PLA
Generation, and much more).

Quote:
> Built-in constraint system provides powerful design assistance.
> Flexible database and tool control make this an ideal workbench for CAD

tool development.

If you want further information, see the GNU web page at:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/electric/electric.html
And if you want further information from the folks who wrote Electric, see
their web page at:
    http://www.electriceditor.com

        -Steven Rubin

Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95
Check out the tools at http://www.associatedpro.com They are all designed to
run on NT/Windows and come with FPGA boards to boot!
Quote:

>Hi everyone !

>I am looking for some EDA tools that are running under Win 95/ Win NT PC's.

>The tools should have :
>      - VHDL compiler & simulator
>      - FPGA synthesis
>      - some way to check that what goes out from synthesis is what you
>need

>Anyone knows some tools like that please let me know. I heard about
>PeakVHDL,
>but I need some other, for comparison. Price/quality is the issue here.

>Thank you, everybody.

>Ovidiu Lupas
>Design Engineer
>TimTeh Electronics Ltd.

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95
Try searching www.isdmag.com. They have excellent eda tool summaries.

Quote:
>Hi everyone !

>I am looking for some EDA tools that are running under Win 95/ Win NT
PC's.

>The tools should have :
>      - VHDL compiler & simulator
>      - FPGA synthesis
>      - some way to check that what goes out from synthesis is what
you
>need

>Anyone knows some tools like that please let me know. I heard about
>PeakVHDL,
>but I need some other, for comparison. Price/quality is the issue
here.

>Thank you, everybody.

>Ovidiu Lupas
>Design Engineer
>TimTeh Electronics Ltd.

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95
We use Modelsim PE--a GREAT VHDL simulator!!!! couldn't live without it.

We use Exemplar Galileo 4.2.2 --very nice tool-- highly recommended

We have Synplify 5.06, but honestly, in most of our applications, it falls short of Exemplar in important areas, such as true VHDL
compatibility.  I think they have improved the product quite a bit since 3.0, but we are now in the habit relying on the Exemplar
tool.  Synplify does have a nice user interface, though, and the HDL analyst is pretty good.

Actually, I think having 2 synthesis tools is a tremendous boon, since they ALL have bugs.

Tom Meagher

Quote:

>Hi everyone !

>I am looking for some EDA tools that are running under Win 95/ Win NT PC's.

>The tools should have :
>      - VHDL compiler & simulator
>      - FPGA synthesis
>      - some way to check that what goes out from synthesis is what you
>need

>Anyone knows some tools like that please let me know. I heard about
>PeakVHDL,
>but I need some other, for comparison. Price/quality is the issue here.

>Thank you, everybody.

>Ovidiu Lupas
>Design Engineer
>TimTeh Electronics Ltd.

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95
Check out Viewlogic's tools:

    Fusion/SpeedWave for VHDL simulation
    FPGA Express for FPGA synthesis

at www.viewlogic.com

Quote:

> Hi everyone !

> I am looking for some EDA tools that are running under Win 95/ Win NT PC's.

> The tools should have :
>       - VHDL compiler & simulator
>       - FPGA synthesis
>       - some way to check that what goes out from synthesis is what you
> need

> Anyone knows some tools like that please let me know. I heard about
> PeakVHDL,
> but I need some other, for comparison. Price/quality is the issue here.

> Thank you, everybody.

> Ovidiu Lupas
> Design Engineer
> TimTeh Electronics Ltd.

*-------------------------------------------------------*
* John Willoughby           ?W??? ?E?C? ?r?C         *
* Verification Marketing    office: 508-303-5238        *
* Viewlogic Systems         mobile: 508-254-9608        *
* 293 Boston Post Rd West   fax: 508-460-7826           *

*                                                       *
* "Well done is better than well said" - Ben Franklin   *
*-------------------------------------------------------*

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. XDS for Win NT and Win 95 now available

2. SmallEiffel -0.82 for DOS, Win NT, Win 95

3. REXX for Win 95 and Win NT

4. File locking in Win 95/Win NT

5. vhdl pretty printer for win NT/95/ msdos

6. Win '95 DDE calls in ObjectREXX for Windows 95/NT

7. Win 3.11 vs Win 95 (For Arnor)

8. Filter performance Win 98 v Win 95

9. Win 3.1x / Win 95 Conflict ?

10. Netzwork error 55 with Win 3.x or Win 95 and Exospace

11. Clipper Tools III Netware Functions & Win 95

12. APL2 on Win'95/NT