Naive question(?) about component configurations
Author Message
 Naive question(?) about component configurations

Can anyone tell me of the rationale behind the `component_configuration's being
in the declarative part of the architecture?

What is the statement declaring, the instantiation label? To my way of thinking
the configuration is providing associations between previously declared
`entities'(not the VHDL keyword!) that will be resolved at elaboration time
rather than a declaration.
The motivation behind the question is:
does the configuration apply to the component or to the instantiations?
Yes I know it applies to both! but in your conceptual model of the design is
the following:
component x port(...) end component;
for all : x use entity a;
x1 : x...;
x2 : x...;
x3 : x...;
x4 : x...;

just a shorthand for:
----

for x1 : x use entity a;
for x2 : x use entity a;
for x3 : x use entity a;
for x4 : x use entity a;
 or is it saying something about the `virtual design unit' declared by the
component? In other words does the component configuration logically belong to
the component declaration or the individual instantiations?

Robert

Room 3.08, IT Building, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Tel: (+44) 61-275 6269          Fax: (+44) 61-275 6280

Mon, 25 Oct 1993 19:54:51 GMT

1. Naive question(?) about component c

2. naive type checking II (not so naive?)

3. configuration for components instantiated with generate

4. Problem: component configuration in hierarchical designs

5. configuration statement does not see component instantiation label when within generate loop

6. component configurations

7. Questions from a naive user

8. Questions from a naive st programmer

9. Naive Forth questions

10. Extremely naive (and probably stupid) question

11. (Yet another) naive question

12. Naive question