Why don't hiring managers post job ads (instead of head hunters?)
Author Message
 Why don't hiring managers post job ads (instead of head hunters?)

I happened to agree that job postings are OK, so long as they are
actually relevent to chip design, synthesis and testing.  Having said
that, I hope these news groups don't become swamped with
job listings . . .

What I was curious to know is why companies looking to hire
engineers don't post directly, rather than requiring some one
who might be interested in a job to go through some header
hunter.

After all, you might have to sift through a few more resumes,
but I doubt it is that much more than the head hunters forward
anyway.  We can skip the debate about job agencies since we
pretty much beat it to death a few weeks ago.

Just curious.

Steve Allen
Asic Design Consultant

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Why don't hiring managers post job ads (instead of head hunters?)

Quote:

>What I was curious to know is why companies looking to hire
>engineers don't post directly, rather than requiring some one
>who might be interested in a job to go through some header
>hunter.

Because of the Internet's bad reputation.   Many hiring managers
figure people lurking around the net who might see their post
fall into one antisocial category or another -- they are either
a crypto-anarchist, a {*filter*}ographer, a rabid NRA apologist, a
chat-room {*filter*}, etc. etc.   So they don't want to do their
hiring here.

Headhunters, of course, have no such qualms. :)

Steve

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Why don't hiring managers post job ads (instead of head hunters?)

: I happened to agree that job postings are OK, so long as they are
: actually relevent to chip design, synthesis and testing.  Having said
: that, I hope these news groups don't become swamped with
: job listings . . .

: What I was curious to know is why companies looking to hire
: engineers don't post directly, rather than requiring some one
: who might be interested in a job to go through some header
: hunter.

: After all, you might have to sift through a few more resumes,
: but I doubt it is that much more than the head hunters forward
: anyway.  We can skip the debate about job agencies since we
: pretty much beat it to death a few weeks ago.

: Just curious.

: Steve Allen
: Asic Design Consultant

Reson#1:

If you hire a dork via a headhunter then the headhunter looks bad.
Do it yourself and YOU look bad.

Reason #2:

If you are hiring new employees to replace existing ones you do not
not want the existing ones to read  the ads and figure out what you
are doing.

Reason #3:

If you hire one person and turn down 20 you would rather have those
20 mad at the XYZ headhunter rather than your company. After all you
still want to keep them as customers.

If you need more then read Dilbert.

John Eaton

Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why don't hiring managers post job ads (instead of head hunters?)

2. Job Opening-Not a Head Hunter

3. Job Opening-Not a Head Hunter

4. don't make smalltalk discussion group into consultant hunter's group

5. Job ad posted in misc.jobs.offered

6. RATES, why don't they post rates?

7. head-hunter blues

8. I am thinking about becoming a Head Hunter

9. JOB AD. -- Research Post in Computational Phonology (Edinburgh)

10. Where to post Tcl job ad?