Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.
Author Message
 Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

Hi,

I won't ask the unreasonable question "What is the BEST book for learning
VHDL" but I would appreciate some advise.  I used Verilog on my last
project and it is clear that my new group will be using VHDL due to the
simulator liscences we have.  I need a book that will help bring me up to
speed on VHDL fairly quickly.  It should emphaisze coding for synthesis.
We will be using Synopsys as the synthesizer and targeting FPGAs for the
prototypes and eventually targeting ASIC technology.  Thanks in advance.

Tue, 06 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

Quote:

> won't ask the unreasonable question "What is the BEST book for learning
>VHDL" but I would appreciate some advise.  ...  It should emphaisze

coding for synthesis.

Take a look at my just published book  "VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked
Questions"
 ISBN 0-7923-9791-6 Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
This book  evolved from discussions on comp.lang.vhdl newsgroup,
European Space Agency (ESA) reports, discussions with Model Technology
Inc.,  Synopsys?
presentation, and class discussions.    The book addresses a set of
problems commonly experienced by
real users of VHDL. This book emphasises synthesis, design techniques for
BFM modeling, and
design verification methods.   It provides practical explanations to the
questions, and suggests practical
solutions to the raised issues.  It utilizes a question/answer format,
along with demonstration code
(available on an enclosed disk), to emphasize the answers to each
question.  The book is organized in
nine sections, starting with language related issues and progressing to
real applications of VDHL.

Contents
Preface.  About the disk.  Notation Conventions.  1. LANGUAGE ELEMENTS
(basic language
elements,  salient points of concurrent statements, configurations, ports,
arithmetic issues, and package
Std_Logic_1164).  2. ARRAYS  (array operations, array initialization, use
of constrained and
unconstrained arrays, mapping of arrays of different sizes, and
application of arrays in synthesis).
3. DRIVERS (Errors in the creation of unexpected multiple drivers).  4.
SUBPROGRAMS (side effects,
garbage collection, files, conversion functions, and normalization of
parameters).  5. PACKAGES
(conversion of various types to strings, Linear Feedback Shift Registers
(LFSR), Multiple Input Shift
Register (MISR), and random number generation).  6.  MODELS (RAM
implementations, including a
memory efficient model using a linked list/paging approach, zero ohm
resistor,  error injector and its
applications).  7. SYNTHESIS  (supported/unsupported constructs, synthesis
problems, primitive models,
registers, latches, combinational logic, tri-states and design
optimization). 8. DESIGN VERIFICATION
AND TESTBENCH (functional verification, auto-regression, and formal
verification, testbench modeling
approaches).   9.  POTPOURI (methods to enhance simulation speed, and
collection of topics)

The table of contents can be found at my Web page:
http://members.aol.com/vhdlcohen/vhdl.

technical book stores.

--=============================================
-- Ben Cohen, Hughes Aircraft Co,  RE- R1/B507
-- ** "VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies",
--     ISBN 0-7923-9598-0  Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.
-- ** "VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked Questions"
--     ISBN 0-7923-9791-6 Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
-- FTP site:   users.aol.com       /vhdlcohen/vhdl
-- Web page:   http://members.aol.com/vhdlcohen/vhdl
-- (310) 334-7389,      fax: (310) 334-1749
--=============================================

Wed, 07 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

Quote:

>Hi,

>I won't ask the unreasonable question "What is the BEST book for learning
>VHDL" but I would appreciate some advise.  I used Verilog on my last
>project and it is clear that my new group will be using VHDL due to the
>simulator liscences we have.  I need a book that will help bring me up to
>speed on VHDL fairly quickly.  It should emphaisze coding for synthesis.
>We will be using Synopsys as the synthesizer and targeting FPGAs for the
>prototypes and eventually targeting ASIC technology.  Thanks in advance.

May I be so bold as to suggest my book. Amoung other things, it shows
synthesizable models of VHDL and Verilog side-by side so should be ideal for
your requirements. It is called:

                    HDL Chip design
A Practical Guide for Designing, Synthesizing and Simulating
         ASICs and FPGAs using VHDL or Verilog

see:
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~asmith

Doug Smith

Mon, 12 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

Quote:

>Hi,

>I won't ask the unreasonable question "What is the BEST book for learning
>VHDL" but I would appreciate some advise.  I used Verilog on my last
>project and it is clear that my new group will be using VHDL due to the
>simulator liscences we have.  I need a book that will help bring me up to
>speed on VHDL fairly quickly.  It should emphaisze coding for synthesis.
>We will be using Synopsys as the synthesizer and targeting FPGAs for the
>prototypes and eventually targeting ASIC technology.  Thanks in advance.

May I be so bold as to suggest my book. Amoung other things, it shows
synthesizable models of VHDL and Verilog side-by side so should be ideal for
your requirements. It is called:

                    HDL Chip design
A Practical Guide for Designing, Synthesizing and Simulating
         ASICs and FPGAs using VHDL or Verilog

see:
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~asmith

Doug Smith

Mon, 12 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

Quote:

>May I be so bold as to suggest my book. Amoung other things, it shows
>synthesizable models of VHDL and Verilog side-by side so should be ideal for
>your requirements. It is called:

>                    HDL Chip design
>A Practical Guide for Designing, Synthesizing and Simulating
>         ASICs and FPGAs using VHDL or Verilog

>see:
>http://fly.hiwaay.net/~asmith

>Doug Smith

Doug,  I cannot contact this address for some reason.  Netscape gives
me some error like server refusing connection.

Tue, 13 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

There are a number of good books posted on
http://www.vhdl.com/VHDLFAQ/faq_books.htm

--
Sincerely,

The VHDL Technology Group            Web:    http://www.vhdl.com
100 Brodhead Road, Suite 140         Phone : 610-882-3130
Bethlehem, PA 18017                  Fax   : 610-882-3133

Wed, 14 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

something about:

Quote:
>Take a look at my just published book  "VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked
>Questions"
> ISBN 0-7923-9791-6 Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
>This book  evolved from discussions on comp.lang.vhdl newsgroup,
>European Space Agency (ESA) reports, discussions with Model Technology
>Inc.,  Synopsys?
>presentation, and class discussions.    The book addresses a set of
>problems commonly experienced by
>real users of VHDL. This book emphasises synthesis, design techniques for
>BFM modeling, and
>design verification methods.   It provides practical explanations to the
>questions, and suggests practical
>solutions to the raised issues.  It utilizes a question/answer format,
>along with demonstration code
>(available on an enclosed disk), to emphasize the answers to each
>question.  The book is organized in
>nine sections, starting with language related issues and progressing to
>real applications of VDHL.
>The table of contents can be found at my Web page:
>http://members.aol.com/vhdlcohen/vhdl.

>technical book stores.

>--=============================================
>-- Ben Cohen, Hughes Aircraft Co,  RE- R1/B507
>-- ** "VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies",
>--     ISBN 0-7923-9598-0  Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.
>-- ** "VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked Questions"
>--     ISBN 0-7923-9791-6 Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
>-- FTP site:   users.aol.com       /vhdlcohen/vhdl
>-- Web page:   http://members.aol.com/vhdlcohen/vhdl
>-- (310) 334-7389,      fax: (310) 334-1749
>--=============================================

Do you recommend this book over your previous book "...Styles &
Methodologies"????

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

Quote:

>>Take a look at my just published book  "VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked
Questions"
>Do you recommend this book over your previous book "...Styles &

Methodologies"????

This is a DIFFERENT book in that it addresses not only issues experienced
by users in the community, but also in a more extensive manner,  synthesis
and techniques for design verification and regression tests.    This book
is really intended for someone who wants more proficiency in the use of
VHDL along with techniques used in HDLs.   The book uses a Question/Answer
format, organized in 9 chapters.  Check my web site for TOC
 http://members.aol.com/vhdlcohen/vhdl

The first book emphasizes the  language, styles in using VHDL,  techniques
for testbench and BFM designs.

Bottom line, I recommend both.
Ben Cohen

--=============================================
-- Ben Cohen, Hughes Aircraft Co,  RE- R1/B507
-- ** "VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies",
--     ISBN 0-7923-9598-0  Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.
-- ** "VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked Questions"
--     ISBN 0-7923-9791-6 Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
-- FTP site:   users.aol.com       /vhdlcohen/vhdl
-- Web page:   http://members.aol.com/vhdlcohen/vhdl
-- (310) 334-7389,      fax: (310) 334-1749
--=============================================

Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

2. Recommended Books to learn Labview?

3. recommended book for learning Fortran 95?

4. Recommended books for learning Fortran

5. Recommended VHDL book titles wanted ...

6. Please recommend VRML books

7. Please recommend a good vhdl simulation tools

8. Recommend Cobol Book, and Compiler, for C++ Programmer Please

9. Recommend a book for complete PHP beginner please?

10. Please recommend books on Prolog.

11. NEED GREAT BOOK ON LISP - Please Recommend!!!

12. Book for learning VHDL ?