VHDL Text Book
Author Message
 VHDL Text Book

Dear Netters:

I am looking for a text book about VHDL for the undergraduate
course I am going to teach.  I prefer a book combining the
language and its application for typical circuits effectively.
Could someone give me suggestion?

Any help will be appreciated.

Al

Sun, 23 Feb 1997 03:34:24 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

Hi !

Another book (beside the already mentioned PERRY) you should decide is:

NAVABI, Zainalabedin
VHDL:  Analysis an Modeling of Digital Systems
McGraw-Hill: New York
ISBN 0-07-046472-3

A special benefit: Instructor's manual, including disc, available:
ISBN 0-07-911351-6

Hope this helps,

Markus

  Institute of Systems Science,                           /
  Dept. Microelectronic Systems - Prof. Dr. Hagelauer     \         No
  Altenberger Str. 69, A-4040 Linz                        /    kangaroos
  Tel.: +43 - 732 2468 891    (or ...877)                 \     in
  Fax.: +43 - 732 2468 892                                /  Austria!

Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:55:05 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

Quote:

>   I haven't found one that I really liked, but the best one that
>I've seen so far is _VHDL_ by Douglas Perry, published by McGraw-Hill.

Ditto (and it is in the 2nd edition, I think). I also like armstrong's
little cookbook, but it isn't sufficient to teach from.

Tom
--
** Tom Barrett   __   office: THN C225 | phone:  804-982-2965 **
** M.S.E.E.      \/  BC v1.9: B4 f+ t+ w+ d++ g- k- s- e r- p **

Mon, 24 Feb 1997 02:45:35 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

   I haven't found one that I really liked, but the best one that
I've seen so far is _VHDL_ by Douglas Perry, published by McGraw-Hill.

TJ
--

Sun, 23 Feb 1997 06:10:10 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

Scott{*filter*}inson
Mt. View, CA

Quote:
>Dear Netters:

>I am looking for a text book about VHDL for the undergraduate
>course I am going to teach.  I prefer a book combining the
>language and its application for typical circuits effectively.
>Could someone give me suggestion?

>Al

Mon, 24 Feb 1997 01:51:58 GMT
 VHDL Text Book
I am taking my first VHDL course. We are using Perry's second edition
and it seems pretty good. As has been mentioned elsewhre, examples and
exercises would help immensely. I forget what it is like to learn
yet another language until I have to go through it. Whew!

tony

Mon, 24 Feb 1997 05:15:22 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

Quote:

> >   I haven't found one that I really liked, but the best one that
> >I've seen so far is _VHDL_ by Douglas Perry, published by McGraw-Hill.
> Ditto (and it is in the 2nd edition, I think). I also like armstrong's
> little cookbook, but it isn't sufficient to teach from.

Have you guys looked at the VHDL Primer from Prentice-Hall?
I think it's pretty good.

--

  Jim Frenzel, Asst. Prof   Electrical Engineering, BEL 213
  208-885-7532              University of Idaho

Wed, 26 Feb 1997 20:52:48 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

: The NEW Perry book is a good one (the red one sucks) but it lacks
: adequate examples.

I got my first experience with VHDL on alliance and then moved on to
V-system. We had quite a few text books in the office - which I never
got through.

I really like The VHDL Cookbook by Peter J. Ashenden, which I got from
ftp.cs.adelaide.edu.au in pub/VHDL-Cookbook. In 90 pages it contains the
most basic stuff and a case study with the construction of a micro
processor. It probably would make a good suplement to the Perry book.

jens

Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:15:47 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

Quote:

> I really like The VHDL Cookbook by Peter J. Ashenden, which I got from
> ftp.cs.adelaide.edu.au in pub/VHDL-Cookbook.

My experience (based on a sampling of two students) is that
people who learn to code from the Cookbook have trouble
synthesizing.  However, the two individuals in question were/are
probably better programmers than hardware engineers, which might
have something to do with it.

Regardless, I tell my students to ignore statements such as
"VHDL is a programming language" and continuously visualize the
hardware as they write their code.

--

  Jim Frenzel, Asst. Prof   Electrical Engineering, BEL 213
  208-885-7532              University of Idaho

Fri, 28 Feb 1997 22:27:08 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

Quote:

>Regardless, I tell my students to ignore statements such as
>"VHDL is a programming language" and continuously visualize the
>hardware as they write their code.

My experience with our engineers is that trying to visualize hardware
prevents them from realizing the benefit of high level synthesis tools.

--

                   | (708) 259-9600 (ex 24762)

Tue, 04 Mar 1997 09:52:21 GMT
 VHDL Text Book

Quote:

>>Regardless, I tell my students to ignore statements such as
>>"VHDL is a programming language" and continuously visualize the
>>hardware as they write their code.

>My experience with our engineers is that trying to visualize hardware
>prevents them from realizing the benefit of high level synthesis tools.

Sorry, but my experience with engineers not visualizing the hardware
is slow bloated designs that are either marginally synthesizable
or violate good design practices or both.

During a key juncture in time for the aerospace company that I
formerly worked at, management opted to synthesize a new programmable DSP
chip set using an RTL/C language written by pure programmers.
The design ended up being four times the size and one quarter
the speed of what was anticipated.  The design started before TI
announced the 'C10 but was not completed until TI completed
the 'C30 processor.  As a result most DoD customers opted for
competitors' systems with the commercial, faster, cheaper,
more easily programmable processor.  Additionally the design
had some {*filter*} race conditions that probably could have been
avoided with good synchronous design techniques--for which
one needs to visulize the hardware.

                Bill Abboud

Wed, 05 Mar 1997 06:23:04 GMT

1. VHDL Text Book

2. New book on PSL/SUGAR with Verilog and VHDL

3. Advanced Books on Verilog and VHDL?

4. New book: Real Chip DSGN and Verification, Verilog/VHDL

5. NEW VHDL Book + CD with GNU EMACS

6. Please recommend a book for learning VHDL.

7. ***Verilog,VHDL and Synthesis courses taught by author of Verilog book*******

8. Verlog/vhdl Books

9. Book on VHDL

10. just bought Cohen's book...Real Chip Design and Verification using Verilog and VHDL

11. Good newbie verilog or VHDL book