LRM question
Author Message
 LRM question

I need some help in clarifying whats possible with "configuration
declarationes". The LRM gives syntactically:

CONFIGURATION identifier OF name IS ...

and (if I get it correct) that name has to be an entity which resides in the
same library as the configuration does. (correct so far?)
Question now: can I use some other construct than an identifier for name?
For which purpose - what would I want configure then?
I can't find a case that is more complex than identifier and semanticallly
allowed.

thanks in advance
tom
--

phone: +49-231 755 6464, FAX: +49-231 755 6555
T. Dettmer, Dortmund University, Computer Science I, 44221 Dortmund, Germany

Mon, 22 Jan 1996 23:31:59 GMT
 LRM question

Quote:
>I need some help in clarifying whats possible with "configuration
>declarationes". The LRM gives syntactically:

>CONFIGURATION identifier OF name IS ...

>and (if I get it correct) that name has to be an entity which resides in the
>same library as the configuration does. (correct so far?)

Yes, you're correct so far....

Quote:
>Question now: can I use some other construct than an identifier for name?
>For which purpose - what would I want configure then?
>I can't find a case that is more complex than identifier and semanticallly
>allowed.

Well, there's a bit of controversy here.  Strictly speaking, the visibility
rules and the fact that a configuration declaration is a primary unit combine
to require a selected name between the OF and IS.  I.e.,

configuration example of some_entity is ...

is illegal, since some_entity is not directly visible.  Hence, one must use

configuration example of work.some_entity is ...

However, given the rule that a configuration declaration for a given design
entity must be in the same library as the design entity, some implementations
treat the "work." as implicit, since the entity declaration denoted by the name
must be in the working library.

--Paul
--

2 Davis Drive           voice: 919-990-9506              that man behind the
P.O. Box 13036          fax:   919-990-8561              curtain!"

Tue, 23 Jan 1996 23:31:55 GMT

1. OVI LRM Questions

2. Aggregate Selection With Variables (LRM Question)

3. LRM question - access types and concurrency

4. diff Ada83-LRM Ada9X-LRM

5. Questions about LRM

6. Verilog LRM 2.0 question

7. Question about LRM: indexed name, attrib_name

8. Question regarding LRM 5.95 7.6(19)

9. COBOL 74 LRM Needed

10. LRM sec 13.4.1

11. LRM Sec 10.2.1

12. LRM for Verilog 2001 and System Verilog