VHDL for Linux...?
Author Message
 VHDL for Linux...?

Hi all...

This primarily addresses the circuits community...

I have been playing (or trying to play) with both magic and ocean.  I
was wondering if there are any free VHDL simulators available or being
worked on for Linux.  If so, what about synthesis tools?

If I'm asking something outrageous, please tell me so...

While I'm on the subject, and I know this isn't the proper group but I
know there are a lot of hardware weenies out there like me, is there
an emacs major mode for VHDL floating around?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 05:06:14 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?
In a similar vein, has anyone seen LogicWorks for *nix?  I can't use
the Mac version, and the DOS version sucks dead goats (dies a *lot*
and won't run under dosemu).  Does anybody know just what command
switches LogicWorks accepts?

| It's nice to be important, but it's *important* to suck up to the |
| sysadmin  -- Me                                                   |

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 08:06:49 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?
And don't forget about the complete ALLIANCE tools

VHDL, logic synthesis, router, layout editor, layout extraction
etc.....

just go at ftp.ibp.fr ( alliance sub-directory ) and get
or the sources, or the linux binaries for FREE..

O---------------------------------------------------------------O
|    +---+         , ,                                          |
|   / \ / \      Frederic POTTER : Equipe R-CUBE, Labo. MASI    |
|  /   /   \                       de l'Institut Blaise Pascal  |
| +---+ \   \                                                   |
|  \   \ +---+   Couloir 55-65, 2eme etage.                     |
|   \   /   /                                                   |
|    \ / \ /     Universite Pierre et Marie Curie (P6)          |
|     +---+      4 place Jussieu, 75252 Paris Cedex 05          |
|                                                               |
| Tel  : + 33 1 44 27 39 67   Fax   :   + 33 1 44 27 62 86      |

o---------------------------------------------------------------o

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 21:22:11 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?
: Hi all...

: This primarily addresses the circuits community...

: I have been playing (or trying to play) with both magic and ocean.  I
: was wondering if there are any free VHDL simulators available or being
: worked on for Linux.  If so, what about synthesis tools?

: If I'm asking something outrageous, please tell me so...

: While I'm on the subject, and I know this isn't the proper group but I
: know there are a lot of hardware weenies out there like me, is there
: an emacs major mode for VHDL floating around?

: Thanks in advance,

: Mark

tools :-)

Faculty of Aerospace Engineering        2628 AG Delft   \_______(_)_______/
T U Delft               Optimists designed the aeroplane,     !  !  !
Ph(Work) (+31)15-783992 pessimists designed the parachute!
Ph(Home) (+31)15-569636 Plan:Design Airplanes on Linux the best OS on Earth!
------------------------------PGP-KEY-AVAILABLE--------------------------------

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 17:16:24 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?

: I have been playing (or trying to play) with both magic and ocean.  I
: was wondering if there are any free VHDL simulators available or being
: worked on for Linux.  If so, what about synthesis tools?

Yes there is. Get the Alliance-2.0 package. You can ftp the source
from: ftp.ibp.fr
You will find it in /ibp/softs/masi/alliance

Alliance is aimed at VLSI synthesis but if that is not your goal
you can still use the VHDL simulator.. BTW, it is a great package.

don

: While I'm on the subject, and I know this isn't the proper group but I
: know there are a lot of hardware weenies out there like me, is there
: an emacs major mode for VHDL floating around?

I would like to know this :)

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 11:13:36 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?

Quote:

>: I have been playing (or trying to play) with both magic and ocean.  I
>: was wondering if there are any free VHDL simulators available or being
>: worked on for Linux.  If so, what about synthesis tools?

>Are there _any_ free VHDL tools?  All of the ones I have used haven't
>been..

  A set of VHDL models and tools for modeling the IEEE 1149.1
test standard is available as public domain from Northeastern
University. A paper describing the models and utilities was
presented at the VUIF spring conference.  A more detailed
description of this work with the complete code for the models
and utility procedures was presented at the Atlantic Test Work-
shop in New Hampshire.
  The software consists of a set of VHDL descriptions that model
the various components of the 1149.1 standard, and a set of
procedures that can be used in a test bench for control and data
application to the standard models.  All models and utilities
have been tested and readme and documentation files provide
complete information for their usage.
  You will be able to ftp the software from the nuvlsi machine:
       nuvlsi.coe.northeastern.edu
  The ftp directory is:
       /pub/IEEE_1149/*
  Please use the models, and if you make improvements, please keep
us informed.  I appreciate if you send me a mail message if you get
the software.  This way I'll know who has the software.  My mail

Bardo

-------"---------------------------------------------------------------
Bardo MULLER                           Phone  : [33] [1] 69 41 78 50
Institut d'Electronique Fondamentale   Fax    : [33] [1] 60 19 25 93

91405 ORSAY CEDEX FRANCE

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 16:46:53 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?

Quote:

>Yes there is. Get the Alliance-2.0 package. You can ftp the source
>from: ftp.ibp.fr
>You will find it in /ibp/softs/masi/alliance

>Alliance is aimed at VLSI synthesis but if that is not your goal
>you can still use the VHDL simulator.. BTW, it is a great package.

>don

Alliance covers so small subset of VHDL that it is virtually useless in
term of doing design using Alliance.  It may be a great tool to learn the VLSI
design-synthesis-layout-verification flow, but definitely not a VHDL
tool for design, IMHO.

Let me tell you what you can do in Alliance: Boolean functions,
flip flops, muxes. That is all. No conditional statement (like if...then),
no sequential statement (like process), no file I/O (so don't expect to
create test bench), and no arithmatic operations (like + - * /).
Overall, you can not do behavi{*filter*}modeling in Alliance.

Worset of all, all files in document directory were empty.

I wish I was wrong.  Using Alliance would save me $3K to buy Model
Tech's package.  Again, it totally depends on what you are expecting out
of Alliance.  In term of a design modeling, I suggest you stay away
from Alliance.

Albert

Sun, 02 Mar 1997 22:07:14 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?

Quote:

>Have you used Cal Tech's Chipmunk VLSI package? This was ported to Linux
>a couple years ago. It's available via ftp from somewhere at cal tech.

It doesn't have any VHDL modeling stuff in it, which I think the
original poster was after. However, in general, if you're doing custom
LSI on a severe budget, a loaded PC + Linux + gcc + Xfree + {a good
selection of freely distributable tools} can do the job nicely. Which
tools are right is a strong function of what you're trying to do; even
though I maintain the Chipmunk tools, for all of the tools in the
suite I think there are better freely-available alternatives for
mainstream designs. The most common choices among people I know seems
to be:

Magic
IRSIM
Gemini
WireC

with the rest of the functions filled in by Berkeley tools. Oftimes
there will be one or two commercial tools tossed into the mix as well,
most commonly Viewlogic, HSPICE, or Ledit -- although these
alternatives only work if your cheap platform of choice isn't a Linux
PC but a reconditioned Sun, to my knowledge (reconditioned Suns are
very competitive platforms for this application).

The real niche of the Chipmunk tools is when you are doing designs out
of the mainstream ...

                                                        --john lazzaro
                                                          chipmunk maintainer

Tue, 04 Mar 1997 03:07:27 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?
: I wish I was wrong.  Using Alliance would save me $3K to buy Model
: Tech's package.  Again, it totally depends on what you are expecting out
: of Alliance.  In term of a design modeling, I suggest you stay away
: from Alliance.

Have you used Cal Tech's Chipmunk VLSI package? This was ported to Linux
a couple years ago. It's available via ftp from somewhere at cal tech.

Mon, 03 Mar 1997 13:03:22 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?

Quote:
> mainstream designs. The most common choices among people I know seems
> to be:

> Magic
> IRSIM
> Gemini
> WireC

Could somebody tell me firstly what these packages do and secondly where I can
get them from (I think that could be a popular request). Versions for Windows
or Linux or HP/UX would be preferred by me (especially linux). Thanks in
advance...
--
John Leslie

Mon, 10 Mar 1997 20:50:10 GMT
 VHDL for Linux...?
: > mainstream designs. The most common choices among people I know seems
: > to be:
: >
: > Magic
: > IRSIM
: > Gemini
: > WireC
: >

: Could somebody tell me firstly what these packages do and secondly where I can
: get them from (I think that could be a popular request). Versions for Windows
: or Linux or HP/UX would be preferred by me (especially linux). Thanks in
: advance...
: --
: John Leslie

I've used Magic and IRSIM, but neither is a VHDL tool.  Magic is a
simple but very easy to use layout editor.  It does on-the-fly DRC (it
uses the one variable, lambda method) and some autorouting.  I've
actually used it to produce a simple stack cpu.  It's pretty fast and
comes with a nice tutorial, but best of all is its low price - free.

IRSIM is a timing tool, a pretty simple one compared with commercial
ones, (like pearl - the only one I'm actually familiar with).  But it
works well with Magic - it does timing on the actual layout.  It can
do things like longest phase to phase delay, etc.

Anyway, you can get Linux binaries of these two from
sunsite.unc.edu in
/pub/Linux/apps/circuits (INDEX)
irsim.tar.z              event-driven logic-level simulator for MOS circuits
magic63p3-run.tar.gz     VLSI graphical layout tool [bin]
magic63p3-src.tar.gz     VLSI graphical layout tool [src]

Magic requires X obviously.  These tools are great for learning how to
do VLSI CMOS design/layout.  I suspect they're mostly used by
university students.

Guy Maor

Tue, 18 Mar 1997 07:19:34 GMT

1. VHDL and Linux

2. VHDL under Linux?

3. VHDL for Linux?

4. VHDL for Linux

5. Public Domain VHDL in Linux ??

6. Vhdl for linux + FAQ where?

7. Beta tester needed: VHDL Studio Solaris/Linux/Windows

8. Announcing FreeHDL project: Linux VHDL Simulator

9. Announce: VHDL Simili 2.0 - Graphics, Windows, Linux, Affordable

10. Beta tester needed: VHDL Studio Solaris/Linux/Windows

11. VHDL Studio for Linux

12. Is Alliance Free Linux VHDL any good?