floating point package
Author Message
 floating point package

hi
I was trying to do an DSP functions like FFT etc in hardware using VHDL.
Since all my inputs and variables can only be bit vectors for them to be
syntheziable  I was wondering if a floating point math package which
does FP mult, addn and sub is avaible on the net. What does everyone who
does DSP on hardware do as the std package is sure not suffient to
handle this?
thanx for any help
harish

Mon, 28 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 floating point package
harish a crit :

Quote:

> hi
> I was trying to do an DSP functions like FFT etc in hardware using VHDL.
> Since all my inputs and variables can only be bit vectors for them to be
> syntheziable  I was wondering if a floating point math package which
> does FP mult, addn and sub is avaible on the net. What does everyone who
> does DSP on hardware do as the std package is sure not suffient to
> handle this?
> thanx for any help
> harish

How do you perform FFT on an integer DSP (no FPU)? You code it in a
fixed point way. Same with hardware implementations. Floating point
operations are usually avoidable in signal processing. There is some
work to be done about accuracy and dynamics but a lot of gates and
ns are saved.

Regards,
--
Renaud Pacalet, ENST / COMELEC, 46 rue Barrault 75634 Paris Cedex 13

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. An alternative to floating point (was Re: Floating point non-exactness)

2. IBM 370 Floating point to IEEE floating point

3. IEEE 754 Floating point VHDL functions / MATH package

4. Getting a floating point number from a float-object

5. vax floating pont to unix floating point

6. fixed point vs floating point

7. code with fixed-point or floating-point

8. fixed point vs floating point

9. fixed point vs floating point

10. Floating Point vs Fixed Point

11. Type/Class Distinction (was: RE: Future floating point directions? [was Re: floating point in 2.0])

12. an if expression comparing a computed floating point value with a floating point constant fails when it shouldn't