Output of a VDHL Compiled Program
Author Message
 Output of a VDHL Compiled Program

I'm writing a VHDL compiler.  I have a good handle on the language, but I'm
not the best when it comes to the output.  I am an expert C++ programmer so
I understand the whole program compiling / creation process.

My question is this:  How should the compiled program appear?  What kind of
a file extension should it have?  For example, if I compile a C++ program
for Windows, I would end up w/ an EXE.  If I compile it for Unix / Linux,
even though it doesn't need (by default) an extension, it still is compiled
with all the libraries, etc.

For a VHDL program, is the output a binary file?  That's the main question.

Any links on creating a vhdl compiler would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--R

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:53:10 GMT
 Output of a VDHL Compiled Program

Quote:

> I'm writing a VHDL compiler.  I have a good handle on the language, but I'm
> not the best when it comes to the output.  I am an expert C++ programmer so
> I understand the whole program compiling / creation process.

> My question is this:  How should the compiled program appear?  What kind of
> a file extension should it have?  For example, if I compile a C++ program
> for Windows, I would end up w/ an EXE.  If I compile it for Unix / Linux,
> even though it doesn't need (by default) an extension, it still is compiled
> with all the libraries, etc.

VHDL is a standard for digital hardware description.
The runtime environment is a simulation program.
VHDL is not used much for general programming.

VHDL compiled for digital simulation is often a hierarchical directory
structure with files for each instance of entity, architecture and package
represented in the source files. There is no executable file in
the C++ sense. The file formats depend on the target simulator, but
are normally host independent.

VHDL compiled for synthesis is a text file netlist of device specific
primitive logic blocks. The standard file formats are EDIF and VHDL.

  -- Mike Treseler

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:51:19 GMT

1. Program compiled with pgf77 uses location of program as default directory

2. compiling code but no output to screen

3. Verilog to VDHL / Verilog to C

4. Lint for VDHL?

5. Estimate of gate count in a behavioural VDHL description

6. Ethernet 10baseT adaptor VDHL model

7. generating a sawtooth wave in VDHL for a successive approximation A/D converter

8. Looking for a VDHL to netlist generator

9. VDHL Tutorial - Synopsis

10. Looking for VDHL compiler

11. Lint for VDHL?

12. is there a vdhl faq?