Q: Some idea on profiling
Author Message
 Q: Some idea on profiling

This question recently came up in our research group:
How could you do profiling natively in VHDL?

Idea: You have a hierarchical model structure, which is on the lowest
level described by behavioural architectures which contain processes.
Assume you want statistics on how often the processes are executed
during a simulation run.
So you add a signal in each architecture embedding processes for
each process and a line in each process that increments this signal
when a process is triggered.

And then: how would you transport this data to the outer world?
An idea would be a package that has a shared variable (list of record
elements) and an impure function 'add_entry_to_list' that writes to the
shared variable in the package (and another one that for instance dequeues
that variable into a textio file).

Any architecture which has processes to profile would then have a use
clause declaring this profiling package. The question is now: is the body
of such a package guaranteed to be instantiated only once, so that I do not
have multiple instances of such a shared variable floating around in
the elaborated model?

Or, if not, how would one solve this in VHDL?

(Of course, this relates to VHDL'93 as 87 lacks shared variables).

--

|  |   / GMD-SET German National Research  | Phone: (+49) 2241 14 2448
|__|  /  Center for Computer Science       | Fax:   (+49) 2241 14 2342
|  | /   Schloss Birlinghoven              | Had a nightmare yesterday:
|  |/    53754 St. Augustin, Germany       | My system started up with
                                           | ... Booting vmunix.el ...

Fri, 28 Feb 1997 21:40:15 GMT

1. Ideas for speeding up profile?

2. ANNOUNCE: Profile 1.0 (Simple Tcl Profiling)

3. several Qs

4. Qs on CLUBMGR, Template BUG ???

5. Qs

6. Qs about language nomenclature

7. New newbies Qs on Ruby

8. Newbie Qs: startup time, Module.constants, chdir, Ruby distro's library

9. Qs on Ruby and DbC/Smalltalk

10. 2 Qs: IndexedFaceSets & browsers

11. Qs re 'Write & 'Read

12. newbie obj files Qs