Info for beginner
Author Message
 Info for beginner

Hi at all,

I'm a beginner into VHDL field.

To start right it's possible found a software able to translate a source
VHDL code
into a high-level (platform independent) schematics form?

I'm studing the VHDL book of Douglas Perry (3 edtn).

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Fabio Filippa

Ama il tuo mestiere con passione
E' il significato della tua vita
Auguste Rodin (1840-1917)

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:44:36 GMT
 Info for beginner

Quote:

> Hi at all,

> I'm a beginner into VHDL field.

> To start right it's possible found a software able to translate a source
> VHDL code
> into a high-level (platform independent) schematics form?

> I'm studing the VHDL book of Douglas Perry (3 edtn).

> Thanks for your help

> Best regards

> Fabio Filippa

> --
> Ama il tuo mestiere con passione
> E' il significato della tua vita
> Auguste Rodin (1840-1917)

Fabio,

The greater tool I know for high-level schematic block is HDL Designer
Serie from Mentor, but it's not free.
With you can import, export VHDL, work in complex VHDL struture... see
more on the mentor website

We edited our HDL utility on our website with the advantages of the HDL
Designer Serie. Look at:
http://www.amontec.com/fix/core/amt_hdl_util/amt_hdl_utilindex.htm

Our amt_hdl_util canbe a very nice library for all VHDL beginners. This
lib includes all basic VHDL components you will need for a good start in
VHDL design, like:
asynchronous counter examples
synchronous counter example
edge detector
toggle flip-flop
working with synchronous reset and set
working with asynchronous reset and set
pulse generator
dff
rsff, rsff
... and many more
( all of that is free on
http://www.amontec.com/fix/core/amt_hdl_util/amt_hdl_utilindex.htm
)
another good link from amontec is
http://www.amontec.com/vhdl_templates.shtml

Let me know in the future if you need more than in the amt_hdl_util

Laurent Gauch
www.amontec.com

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 05:49:12 GMT
 Info for beginner

Quote:

> a software able to translate a source VHDL code
> into a high-level (platform independent) schematics form?

Leonardo and Synplicity let you view what they call
an RTL schematic after a successful compilation
of your vhdl source files.

Each entity is a rectangular block.
If you click on a block you will see
wires, gates, flops and other blocks.

I don't know of any cheap way to do this.

    -- Mike Treseler

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:11:30 GMT
 Info for beginner

> Hi at all,

> I'm a beginner into VHDL field.

> To start right it's possible found a software able to translate a source
> VHDL code
> into a high-level (platform independent) schematics form?

  I am not aware of any freeware for this. But a general suggestion (as you
said you are a novice user of VHDL), try and get higher level schematic
either on paper or in your mind and then start coding VHDL - for Design,
of-course for validation, i.e. TB you will need a different frame of mind.

Quote:
> I'm studing the VHDL book of Douglas Perry (3 edtn).

  My recommendation would be to try the likes of Kevin Skahill, Ben Cohen,
Peter Ashenden, there is quite  a bit of choice in VHDL books, so try
another one along with this book.

Good Luck,
Srinivasan

Quote:

--
Srinivasan Venkataramanan
Senior Verification Engineer

http://www.noveldv.com http://www.deeps.org

I don't speak for Intel

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:18:19 GMT
 Info for beginner
Hi All,
I rather like Perry's third edition, I've seen a first edition and that
wasn't my cup of tea. The Kevin Skahill book came free with Warp from
Cypress, I don't know if they still do that but I thought for about 70 all
in it was quite a good deal, I've spent more on a single book.

Best Regards

Andre'

Quote:
> Hi,

> > Hi at all,

> > I'm a beginner into VHDL field.

> > To start right it's possible found a software able to translate a source
> > VHDL code
> > into a high-level (platform independent) schematics form?

>   I am not aware of any freeware for this. But a general suggestion (as
you
> said you are a novice user of VHDL), try and get higher level schematic
> either on paper or in your mind and then start coding VHDL - for Design,
> of-course for validation, i.e. TB you will need a different frame of mind.

> > I'm studing the VHDL book of Douglas Perry (3 edtn).

>   My recommendation would be to try the likes of Kevin Skahill, Ben Cohen,
> Peter Ashenden, there is quite  a bit of choice in VHDL books, so try
> another one along with this book.

> Good Luck,
> Srinivasan

> > Thanks for your help

> > Best regards

> > Fabio Filippa

> --
> Srinivasan Venkataramanan
> Senior Verification Engineer
> Software & Silicon Systems India Pvt Ltd. - an Intel company
> Bangalore, India

> http://www.noveldv.com http://www.deeps.org

> I don't speak for Intel

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:10:49 GMT
 Info for beginner

> Hi All,
> I rather like Perry's third edition, I've seen a first edition and that
> wasn't my cup of tea.

   I haven't seen the third edition yet, the problem I had with that book
(whichever edition we had in our institute library during 1996-97) was that
it had a Vending m/c controller example with user defined data types in
ports (also there were some synthesisable examples with INTEGER port IIRC).
I can imagine that the modern synthesis tools may be able to handle them,
but the suggestion I got from senior colleagues (back in 1998) was to stick
to std_logic/std_logic_vector in the interface. So I still couldn't digest a
first level VHDL book had some thing like that.

Quote:
> The Kevin Skahill book came free with Warp from
> Cypress, I don't know if they still do that but I thought for about 70

all

    I didn't use that SW much, but I liked the book the most - except for
the CPLD/FPGA part, which I was not very keen on. (But it is funny that this
Kevin's book is entitled as "VHDL for Programmable Logic Devices" and I keep
recommending this book inspite of me having never done anything with
FPGA/CPLD).

Regards,
Srinivasan

Quote:
> in it was quite a good deal, I've spent more on a single book.

> Best Regards

> Andre'

<SNIP>

--
Srinivasan Venkataramanan
Senior Verification Engineer
Software & Silicon Systems India Pvt Ltd. - an Intel company
Bangalore, India

http://www.noveldv.com http://www.deeps.org

I don't speak for Intel

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 22:18:09 GMT
 Info for beginner
Thanks for info, at this time I'm writing VHDL code by means LIBERO silver
version, only
disadvantage is schematic translation less.

Thanks again

Ama il tuo mestiere con passione
E' il significato della tua vita
Auguste Rodin (1840-1917)

Quote:
> Hi,

> > Hi at all,

> > I'm a beginner into VHDL field.

> > To start right it's possible found a software able to translate a source
> > VHDL code
> > into a high-level (platform independent) schematics form?

>   I am not aware of any freeware for this. But a general suggestion (as
you
> said you are a novice user of VHDL), try and get higher level schematic
> either on paper or in your mind and then start coding VHDL - for Design,
> of-course for validation, i.e. TB you will need a different frame of mind.

> > I'm studing the VHDL book of Douglas Perry (3 edtn).

>   My recommendation would be to try the likes of Kevin Skahill, Ben Cohen,
> Peter Ashenden, there is quite  a bit of choice in VHDL books, so try
> another one along with this book.

> Good Luck,
> Srinivasan

> > Thanks for your help

> > Best regards

> > Fabio Filippa

> --
> Srinivasan Venkataramanan
> Senior Verification Engineer
> Software & Silicon Systems India Pvt Ltd. - an Intel company
> Bangalore, India

> http://www.noveldv.com http://www.deeps.org

> I don't speak for Intel

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:34:06 GMT
 Info for beginner
Well, could you please give me a URL how find the tool?

Best regards and thank again

Powermos

Ama il tuo mestiere con passione
E' il significato della tua vita
Auguste Rodin (1840-1917)

Quote:
> Hi All,
> I rather like Perry's third edition, I've seen a first edition and that
> wasn't my cup of tea. The Kevin Skahill book came free with Warp from
> Cypress, I don't know if they still do that but I thought for about 70
all
> in it was quite a good deal, I've spent more on a single book.

> Best Regards

> Andre'

wrote

> > Hi,

> > > Hi at all,

> > > I'm a beginner into VHDL field.

> > > To start right it's possible found a software able to translate a
source
> > > VHDL code
> > > into a high-level (platform independent) schematics form?

> >   I am not aware of any freeware for this. But a general suggestion (as
> you
> > said you are a novice user of VHDL), try and get higher level schematic
> > either on paper or in your mind and then start coding VHDL - for Design,
> > of-course for validation, i.e. TB you will need a different frame of
mind.

> > > I'm studing the VHDL book of Douglas Perry (3 edtn).

> >   My recommendation would be to try the likes of Kevin Skahill, Ben
Cohen,
> > Peter Ashenden, there is quite  a bit of choice in VHDL books, so try
> > another one along with this book.

> > Good Luck,
> > Srinivasan

> > > Thanks for your help

> > > Best regards

> > > Fabio Filippa

> > --
> > Srinivasan Venkataramanan
> > Senior Verification Engineer
> > Software & Silicon Systems India Pvt Ltd. - an Intel company
> > Bangalore, India

> > http://www.noveldv.com http://www.deeps.org

> > I don't speak for Intel

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 05:36:31 GMT

1. Info for Beginners

2. Rank beginner needs info for bootstrapping

3. Need beginner info

4. interrupt routines: beginner needs info

5. Beginner - Tkinter info

6. Online beginner's lisp info?

7. multi threading - beginner info

8. SmallTalk Beginner Needs Info/Recommendation

9. Outputting info from awk and using the info to name the awk output file

10. ACTOR: info & info request

11. BIOS Code space, memory map, fs info, and exec format info

12. FAT info and Disk info please!