HDL code editors?
Author Message
 HDL code editors?

 I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and Prism.
Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

Andy Brown
--
They said it couldn't be done....
So I didn't do it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?

Quote:
>  I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
> syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
> I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and Prism.
> Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

> Andy Brown
> --
> They said it couldn't be done....
> So I didn't do it.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Emacs or Xemacs. Simply the best.

--
Klaus Falser
Durst Phototechnik AG

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?
Andy Brown a crit :

Quote:

>  I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
> syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
> I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and Prism.
> Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

Hi
I use Emacs, it works fine. The VHDL mode is already included (I had
some trouble adding a Verilog mode)

Have a look there:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

--
Nicolas MATRINGE           DotCom S.A.
Conception electronique    16 rue du Moulin des Bruyeres

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?

Quote:
> I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
>syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
>I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and Prism.
>Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

>Andy Brown

I use UltraEdit for both Verilog and VHDL.  You can display line
numbers, print line numbers, do syntax coloring for every language
known to humankind, etc.  It's the best $30 software investment I've
ever made.  You can try it free for a month or so.  Go to:

   http://www.ultraedit.com

And yes, I know: Emacs and vi are free.  But I'd gladly pay $30 not to
use Emacs and maybe ten times that not to use vi.

I have no interest in UltraEdit other than as a satisfied customer.

Take care,
Bob

Bob Perlman
Cambrian Design Works
Digital Design, Signal Integrity
http://www.best.com/~bobperl/cdw.htm
Send e-mail replies to best<dot>com, username bobperl

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?
You could try "TEXTPAD".
Its free to download and has useful features like blockedit.
Register it if you like it, though.
Niv.

Quote:
> I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
> syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
> I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and Prism.
> Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

> Andy Brown
> --
> They said it couldn't be done....
> So I didn't do it.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?

Quote:
>Emacs or Xemacs. Simply the best.

I second that.  Emacs is also available on many platforms, unix, linus,
windows.  Thus, as your work moves on different platform, you have the
knowledge of the best, and very powerful editor.
In shell mode, you have access to unix like command (grep, ls, tail, etc..) and
can compile you code from that shell.

My web site has some tips on emacs.  See FAQEMACS,  Some answers to FAQ on use
of emacs for VHDL .

VhdlCohen Training, Consulting, Verification

http://www.vhdlcohen.com/
Author of following textbooks:
VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies, 2nd Edition,
  isbn 0-7923-8474-1 Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999
VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, 2nd Edition,
  isbn 0-7923-8115-7 Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?
Hi Andy,

have a look at "Ultra Edit". It is a shareware program and it is a realy
powerful editor with lots of goodies which allow much easier coding. I
can not tell you the price, because I don't remember, but if you go to a
shareware site (e.g. "www.softssek.com") there will be detailed
Information. It has also a trial feature, so you can test it before you
buy a license.

hope this will help,

    Markus Sponsel

Quote:
>I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
>syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
>I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and Prism.
>Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

>Andy Brown
>--
>They said it couldn't be done....
>So I didn't do it.

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?
I use TextPad, too. It's only 17 to register, and it's a nice little
app.

      Dave.

Quote:
> You could try "TEXTPAD".
> Its free to download and has useful features like blockedit.
> Register it if you like it, though.
> Niv.

> > I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
> > syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
> > I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and
Prism.
> > Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

> > Andy Brown
> > --
> > They said it couldn't be done....
> > So I didn't do it.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

The opinions expressed above may differ from those
of my employer.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:46:40 +0200, Nicolas Matringe

Quote:

>I use Emacs, it works fine. The VHDL mode is already included (I had
>some trouble adding a Verilog mode)

Did you manage to fix this? I can't do it either. I don't get syntax
colouring, although the rest seems to work.

Thanks

Evan

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?
Hi,

        You can try to get a WINNT port of NEDIT. This is a really
cool multi-language editor available in most UNIX platform. It have
multi-window editing, split-view editing, syntax highlight, ...

Regards,
Addie Tang

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?

Quote:

>  I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
> syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
> I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and Prism.
> Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

VIM. http://ww.vim.org

Hamish
--

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?

Edit Plus 2 (http://www.editplus.com/) can also be a good choice.

Yu

Quote:

> >  I am looking for a Windows NT VHDL code text editor. It must have
> > syntax highlighting and line numbering. It must also be cheap !
> > I have looked at HDL Turbo Writer (nice but too expensive) and Prism.
> > Has anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations ?

> VIM. http://ww.vim.org

> Hamish
> --

  yshi.vcf
1K Download

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?

Quote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:46:40 +0200, Nicolas Matringe

> >I use Emacs, it works fine. The VHDL mode is already included (I had
> >some trouble adding a Verilog mode)

> Did you manage to fix this? I can't do it either. I don't get syntax
> colouring, although the rest seems to work.

Try turning on the font lock.  I also change some of the colors to be
more pleasing to my eye and add more extensions to the list for things
that are verilog like.

Here is the code from my .emacs (replace /yourpathnamehere/):

(defun turn-on-font-lock-and-set-face ()
  (cond (window-system
         (turn-on-font-lock)
         (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-function-name-face "ForestGreen")
         (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "Red")
         (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-keyword-face "Blue")
         (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-type-face "Magenta")
         (setq verilog-auto-newline nil))))

(add-hook 'verilog-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock-and-set-face)

(autoload 'verilog-mode   "/yourpathnamehere/verilog-mode.el"
                          "Verilog Editing Mode" t)

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (append '(("\\.v$"  . verilog-mode)   ; to edit Verilog code
                ("\\.vh$"   . verilog-mode)
                ("\\.vlog$"   . verilog-mode)
                ("\\.vr$"   . verilog-mode)
                ("\\.vrh$"   . verilog-mode)
                ("\\.vs$"   . verilog-mode)
                ("\\.vsh$"   . verilog-mode)
                ("\\.verilog$"   . verilog-mode)
                ) auto-mode-alist))

--
Brian K. Ogilvie

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HDL code editors?

Quote:

>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:46:40 +0200, Nicolas Matringe

>> >I use Emacs, it works fine. The VHDL mode is already included (I had
>> >some trouble adding a Verilog mode)

>> Did you manage to fix this? I can't do it either. I don't get syntax
>> colouring, although the rest seems to work.

>Try turning on the font lock.  I also change some of the colors to be
>more pleasing to my eye and add more extensions to the list for things
>that are verilog like.

Thanks very much - the font lock did the trick.

Evan

Mon, 03 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for VERILOG books (advanced HDL Coding / Coding for Synthesis)

2. Announcing New HDL Editor

3. what's the best HDL editor

4. Custom HDL editor in Xilinx foundation

5. HDL Editor

6. HDL Editor

7. ANNOUNCE: HDL Editor

8. Announce: RHDL-0.4.2 (Ruby HDL) an agile HDL

9. Announce: RHDL-0.4.2 (Ruby HDL) an agile HDL

10. Announce: RHDL-0.4.2 (Ruby HDL) an agile HDL

11. Coding HDL for Reviewability // Link to paper + 2003 MAPLD Conf

12. "HDL Code Inefficiency and Its Solutions"