VHDL graphic tool
Author Message
 VHDL graphic tool

Hi,
I'm new in the VHDL business.
My question: is there a tool (unix or windows) that allows designers to
convert code (entity...) into graphic blocks? Just like in Maxplus of
Altera.
The purpose is to have an overview (toplevel) of the connections between
entities of different VHDL blocks.

Thanks,
Marc

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 00:39:59 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool

Quote:

> Hi,
> I'm new in the VHDL business.
> My question: is there a tool (unix or windows) that allows designers to
> convert code (entity...) into graphic blocks? Just like in Maxplus of
> Altera.
> The purpose is to have an overview (toplevel) of the connections between
> entities of different VHDL blocks.

> Thanks,
> Marc

The Debussy tool from Novas can be used to provide a graphical view of a
VHDL design.  Amongst other things, it allows navigation through the
hierarchy and shows interconnectivity between design units.

Does anyone know of an _open source_ tool addressing this issue?

Andrew

--

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:07:51 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool

Quote:
> Hi,
> I'm new in the VHDL business.
> My question: is there a tool (unix or windows) that allows designers to
> convert code (entity...) into graphic blocks? Just like in Maxplus of
> Altera.
> The purpose is to have an overview (toplevel) of the connections between
> entities of different VHDL blocks.

> Thanks,
> Marc

I use HDL Designer Series from Mentor, this tool is very very nice
today, but the nice has a cost !
The HDL Designer Series can import .vhd files and translate it in
graphics fsm or structure views....

Laurent Gauch
www.amontec.com

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:16:36 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool
Cadence NC-Sim also provides a graghical view of the design.  Synplicity's
Synplfy does also for the syntehsizable logic.
Ben Cohen     Publisher, Trainer, Consultant    (310) 721-4830

Author of following textbooks:
0-9705394-2-8
* Component Design by Example ",  2001 isbn  0-9705394-0-1
* VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies, 2nd Edition, 1999 isbn 0-7923-8474-1
* VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, 2nd Edition, isbn 0-7923-8115

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:41:35 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool
Wow, now i'm working with NC several months but never seen that.
Stepping through the help and the menus again didn't help either...
Do you know the name of this utility?
If you mean the signal flow browser which I doubt I didn't figure out
how to watch the entire design.

Thanks.
Christian

Quote:

> Cadence NC-Sim also provides a graghical view of the design.  Synplicity's
> Synplfy does also for the syntehsizable logic.
> Ben Cohen     Publisher, Trainer, Consultant    (310) 721-4830

> Author of following textbooks:
> * Real Chip Design and Verification Using Verilog and VHDL, 2002 isbn
> 0-9705394-2-8
> * Component Design by Example ",  2001 isbn  0-9705394-0-1
> * VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies, 2nd Edition, 1999 isbn 0-7923-8474-1
> * VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, 2nd Edition, isbn 0-7923-8115

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:14:36 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool

Quote:
> Wow, now i'm working with NC several months but never seen that.
> Stepping through the help and the menus again didn't help either...
> Do you know the name of this utility?
> If you mean the signal flow browser which I doubt I didn't figure out
> how to watch the entire design.

If you have version LDV4.1 of the software, that has a verilog only
schematic viewer. The mixed language schematic viewer is in LDV5.0 which is
going to be available in the next few weeks. Within SimVision there is a
menu button to invoke the schematic viewer on the design.

Martyn

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:47:13 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool
Hi Martyn,

Quote:

<SNIP>

> If you have version LDV4.1 of the software, that has a verilog only
> schematic viewer.

   IIRC this feature has been there for quite some time, since ldv 3.2
onwards - if my memory serves. (For the benefit of OP, once you open NC GUI,
in the main window you will see icons for "Navigator, Watch window, Signal
Flow Browser, Cycle View, SCHEMATIC").

I have used this feature for about an year now. Having said that, I do have
a "wish list" for this schematic viewer.

1. It could get little more intelligent and identify stuff like MUX etc. I
understand that Debussy kind of tools do this (and more) but I prefer to
have one integrated environment.
2. Drag and Drop from Navigator is a must, I remember seeing some drag &
drop inside simvision waveform viewer, Well done Cadence - please go ahead
and support this for the entire SimVision analysis environment.
3. Annotating source code to the "genblock"s (the procedural blocks are
named that way inside this tool), currently selecting a genblock in
Schematic window places a marker at the beginning of the code in the source
window. Since in general the designs are big, schematic window is always
"maximized" in size, hence it is isn't that easy to see the source code. Few
suggestions could be: take me to the source code straight away (not sure if
everyone will like this), annotate the piece of code on top of the block
itself.

Thanks,
Srini

Quote:

--
Srinivasan Venkataramanan
Senior Verification Engineer

http://www.noveldv.com

I don't speak for Intel

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:29:22 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool

Quote:

> If you have version LDV4.1 of the software, that has a verilog only
> schematic viewer. The mixed language schematic viewer is in LDV5.0 which is
> going to be available in the next few weeks. Within SimVision there is a
> menu button to invoke the schematic viewer on the design.

In fact, now I have found it and it gives me a 'VHDL currently not
supported'

But as I see that you all use NC a lot I have another question(that I've
recently posted to comp.cad.cadence, too)

When executing NcSim from a remote shell and try to print out SimVision
waveforms the print window pops up and starts growing bigger and bigger.
The text fields and buttons are not accessible, I only can kill the
window.
XWin32 XDMCP
This seems to be CDE specific as it occurs under XWin32 XDMCP as well as
a Sun station as client with CDE (but not on a XWin32 rexec session).
(I hope not to have abused all these Xwin terms:).

Have you ever had that kind of problem and even may know a solution?

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:36:43 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool

<SNIP>
> But as I see that you all use NC a lot I have another question(that I've
> recently posted to comp.cad.cadence, too)

> When executing NcSim from a remote shell and try to print out SimVision
> waveforms the print window pops up and starts growing bigger and bigger.
> The text fields and buttons are not accessible, I only can kill the
> window.
> XWin32 XDMCP
> This seems to be CDE specific as it occurs under XWin32 XDMCP as well as
> a Sun station as client with CDE (but not on a XWin32 rexec session).
> (I hope not to have abused all these Xwin terms:).

> Have you ever had that kind of problem and even may know a solution?

  Never, but very interesting problem indeed :-) Which version of Simvision
do you use? I have used LDV 3.4.s12, 4.x under Solaris, CDE. But I am not a
XWidnow literate to underrated "XWin32 XDMCP " etc. The easiest solution
would be open a service request with your AE.

Sorry couldn't help much.
Srinivasan

--
Srinivasan Venkataramanan
Senior Verification Engineer
Software & Silicon Systems India Pvt Ltd. - an Intel company
Bangalore, India

http://www.noveldv.com

I don't speak for Intel

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:43:20 GMT
 VHDL graphic tool

Quote:

> Hi,

> <SNIP>
> > But as I see that you all use NC a lot I have another question(that I've
> > recently posted to comp.cad.cadence, too)

> > When executing NcSim from a remote shell and try to print out SimVision
> > waveforms the print window pops up and starts growing bigger and bigger.
> > The text fields and buttons are not accessible, I only can kill the
> > window.
> > XWin32 XDMCP
> > This seems to be CDE specific as it occurs under XWin32 XDMCP as well as
> > a Sun station as client with CDE (but not on a XWin32 rexec session).
> > (I hope not to have abused all these Xwin terms:).

> > Have you ever had that kind of problem and even may know a solution?

>   Never, but very interesting problem indeed :-) Which version of Simvision
> do you use? I have used LDV 3.4.s12, 4.x under Solaris, CDE.

It's a fancy bug indeed.

I use 3.4s004

I would be very interested in if you can reproduce the error as you use
CDE too.

If you could try a:

 ssh -X <another_host>

or, if the -X option is not supported (note: Uppercase X),

 ssh  <another_host>
 setenv DISPLAY <my_IP_address>

then after login a nclaunch, and then see what happens if you open the
print window of SimVision.

The thing occurs when I'm logging in from another LAN, so it's not
exactly the same scenario. But anyway, I never tried the same LAN, I
will check that.
Humm, nevertheless, as I'm using SunRays there, I'm kind of never on
'my' machine...
Otherwise forget about it, if this annoys you.

Have a nice WE,
Chris

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:01:26 GMT

1. Tool: Generate doc/graphics from vhdl text

2. VHDL Tool Issue or VHDL Language Question

3. Recursive VHDL models - how to prang your VHDL tools

4. buisnes graphic tools

5. Graphic tools

6. Graphic tool needed

7. Graphics Tool for CW 2.0

8. Graphics Viewer Tools

9. Help Writers, Graphics Tools

10. Great new opportunities for S/W Tools Engineers (Infastructure) at Silicon Graphics (Mtn View-CA)

11. CAD Engineer *** Front-End and Back-End Tool *** for Silicon Graphics, Mountain View, CA

12. EXCITING New Opportunities for Place&Route Tools Engineers at Silicon Graphics (Mt. View, Ca.)