Parser for VHDL?
Author Message
 Parser for VHDL?

Hi,
does anyone know if there is a syntactic parser for VHDL which can
be customary extented with semantics? Or, even better, a grammar for
yacc/bison which accepts valid VHDL programs?
Are there other sources than this newsgroup of information concerning VHDL?

Thanks,
Oliver

Sun, 07 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Parser for VHDL?

: Hi,
: does anyone know if there is a syntactic parser for VHDL which can
: be customary extented with semantics? Or, even better, a grammar for
: yacc/bison which accepts valid VHDL programs?
: Are there other sources than this newsgroup of information concerning VHDL?

check out the "Hamburg VHDL archive" at

        http://tech-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vhdl/

In the section "Public Domain Tools" you will find several
parsers to download.

For additional information concerning VHDL check out the FAQ at

        http://www.vhdl.org/vi/comp.lang.vhdl/

Bye,...

Edwin

Tue, 09 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Parser for VHDL?

Quote:

> does anyone know if there is a syntactic parser for VHDL which can
> be customary extented with semantics? Or, even better, a grammar for
> yacc/bison which accepts valid VHDL programs?

Yes, there are such beasts. I'm sure that you can find some at

    http://tech-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vhdl/vhdl.html

However, I found it quite hairy to use a LALR(1) parser (which is what
yacc/bison produce) to parse VHDL. On my next attempt, I would use a
more capable parser generator like PCCTS. The SAVANT project did this
and maybe you can use their work:

    http://www.mtl.com/projects/savant/htmltext/savtext1.shtml

There is also my "Studienarbeit", which can parse and analyze
arbitrary VHDL code and convert it into an abstract syntax graph. It
handles many of the more challanging semantic issues of VHDL like type
checking and overload resolution. You can find it at:

    http://www-nt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/m_msipc/src/vaul.tar.gz

Marius

Wed, 10 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Parser for VHDL?

: > does anyone know if there is a syntactic parser for VHDL which can
: > be customary extented with semantics? Or, even better, a grammar for
: > yacc/bison which accepts valid VHDL programs?

: Yes, there are such beasts. I'm sure that you can find some at

:     http://tech-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vhdl/vhdl.html

: However, I found it quite hairy to use a LALR(1) parser (which is what
: yacc/bison produce) to parse VHDL. On my next attempt, I would use a
: more capable parser generator like PCCTS. The SAVANT project did this
: and maybe you can use their work:

Yeah, I did an experimental, not complete parser in LALR(1) and it actually
was hairy, but work with weird token-generation. I would like to know more
about PCCTS - where to get and what it can do....

Please post again,
Oliver

Mon, 15 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Parser for VHDL?

Quote:

> : However, I found it quite hairy to use a LALR(1) parser (which is what
> : yacc/bison produce) to parse VHDL. On my next attempt, I would use a
> : more capable parser generator like PCCTS. The SAVANT project did this
> : and maybe you can use their work:

> Yeah, I did an experimental, not complete parser in LALR(1) and it actually
> was hairy, but work with weird token-generation. I would like to know more
> about PCCTS - where to get and what it can do....

PCCTS is available from

 ftp://ftp.parr-research.com/pub/pccts

and

 ftp://ftp.th-darmstadt.de/pub/programming/languages/compiler-compiler...

and some other sites.

Sorry, I can't say more about PCCTS as I have not used it. [Since I
did the VHDL thingie, I discovered Scheme, an altogether *much* cooler
language. But I digress...]

Depending on what you want to do with VHDL, a more `high-level'
approach might be more apropriate. If you want to hear me brag about
my general, almost complete, but almost completly undocumented VHDL
frontend and what it can do for you, feel free to contact me by
e-mail.

Marius

Tue, 16 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. XML Parser in VHDL

2. Perl parser for VHDL?

3. Yacc Parser for VHDL

4. Looking for large VHDL sample code to test VHDL parser

5. VHDL-AMS and VHDL'93 Web parser

6. Commercial VHDL and Verilog parsers?

7. Commercial Verilog and VHDL parsers

8. Looking for VHDL/Verilog parsers (shareware)

9. VHDL Parser to Create Block Diagrams

10. VHDL parser

11. Writing a VHDL-93 Parser in C

12. vhdl-93 parser with antlr