QUESTION: Bidirectional Switch
Author Message
 QUESTION: Bidirectional Switch

Hi there.  I am having trouble coding in VHDL a bidirectional switch.
This becomes particularly difficult to code when connecting two such
switches together, as one would in a bus.

From all the books I've looked at, I need to design such a switch
using the 46-value system.  However, I would rather not do such a thing,
since my standard library is defined only with '1', '0', 'X', and not
with other driving signals such as 'H' and 'L'.

Does anyone know where and how I can get a model for a bidirectional
gate, or is the 46-value system the only valid way to code such
a gate?  Where can I find an algorithm for such a model?

Thank you in advance.

Patrick Chiang

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 QUESTION: Bidirectional Switch

on bidirectionality and the question of bidir switches:

i have developed a bi-directional transistor model several years back.  i
will search for it and put it on the northeastern university web page.
however, i have to warn you that this kind of modeling is not easy, and
the simulation time is not all that great.  one alternative solution is
doing self-adjusting switches that determine their direction at the
begining of switch level simulation.  please look in our web page in the
next few days i will try to put them both on:
           http://ece.neu.edu/info/vhdl/vhdl.html
good luck, let me know if they are useful to you.
zn.

Dr. Zainalabedin Navabi
Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Northeastern University
Boston, MA 02115
Fax: 617-373-8970; Tel: 617-373-3034

> Hi there.  I am having trouble coding in VHDL a bidirectional switch.
> This becomes particularly difficult to code when connecting two such
> switches together, as one would in a bus.

> From all the books I've looked at, I need to design such a switch
> using the 46-value system.  However, I would rather not do such a thing,
> since my standard library is defined only with '1', '0', 'X', and not
> with other driving signals such as 'H' and 'L'.

> Does anyone know where and how I can get a model for a bidirectional
> gate, or is the 46-value system the only valid way to code such
> a gate?  Where can I find an algorithm for such a model?

> Thank you in advance.

> Patrick Chiang

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 QUESTION: Bidirectional Switch

 > Hi there.  I am having trouble coding in VHDL a bidirectional switch.
 > This becomes particularly difficult to code when connecting two such
 > switches together, as one would in a bus.
 >
 > From all the books I've looked at, I need to design such a switch
 > using the 46-value system.  However, I would rather not do such a thing,
 > since my standard library is defined only with '1', '0', 'X', and not
 > with other driving signals such as 'H' and 'L'.
 >
 > Does anyone know where and how I can get a model for a bidirectional
 > gate, or is the 46-value system the only valid way to code such
 > a gate?  Where can I find an algorithm for such a model?

Have a look at

'Switch level modeling in VHDL', by Dr Stanculescu, in 'Applications of
VHDL to circuit design' Kluwer 91 edited by Harr/Stanculescu, ISBN
0-7923-9153-5

'Switch level modeling with VHDL' - Oz Levia, proceedings 1st EuroVHDL 90.

Jacques

--

USA http://vhdl.org/~rouillard   EU http://ismea.imt-mrs.fr/~rouillar
---------------------- Va savoir, Charles --------------------------

Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. path delays and bidirectional switches

2. Inout-Problem: Bidirectional Data-Switch

3. A VHDL Model for a bidirectional switch

4. Bidirectional switch modeling

5. Bidirectional bus switching

6. Reset the state of one switch when another switch is pressed in a VI

7. switching sounds with switch node and script?

8. additional switch for switch?

9. SetPath() Question when Switching Data Paths

10. switch/indicator question

11. Context switching using Logitec 3.03 question

12. switching from TP to mod2 (questions)