Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??
Author Message
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

Curious to know from the folks in the EDA community if we think Sun OS
4.1.3
will go to the graveyard (like Domain 10.4 did) next year. Like to hear
your flames/comments.

regards, Jim
(opionions my own, not representing TI)

Fri, 19 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

: Curious to know from the folks in the EDA community if we think Sun OS
: 4.1.3
: will go to the graveyard (like Domain 10.4 did) next year. Like to hear
: your flames/comments.

I wouldn't just be worried about support for Sun OS 4.1.3 going away,
I'd be worried about support for all UNIX going away over the coming
years.

Stanger things have happened ....

And it would be a sad thing indeed.

Gary Kopff
Hardware Development Manager
Pacific Semiconductor Pty. Ltd.

Sat, 20 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

Switch to Ultra/Solaris .......

I would NOT worry  about Solaris/Unix  getting replaced by some
OS which is just Not There for high-end EDA solutions.

Just my opinions. NT fans, please no flames...

=>: Curious to know from the folks in the EDA community if we think Sun OS
=>: 4.1.3
=>: will go to the graveyard (like Domain 10.4 did) next year. Like to hear
=>: your flames/comments.
=>
=>I wouldn't just be worried about support for Sun OS 4.1.3 going away,
=>I'd be worried about support for all UNIX going away over the coming
=>years.
=>
=>Stanger things have happened ....
=>
=>And it would be a sad thing indeed.
=>
=>Gary Kopff
=>Hardware Development Manager
=>Pacific Semiconductor Pty. Ltd.

Sun, 21 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

Hi Jim,
        I deal with BLDA customers, and this is my advice:
This year, I believe Solaris 5.x support for CAE tools equals or
outshines that for SunOS 4.1.x.  But a year ago, I would have told you
otherwise (I know of specific MAJOR vendor packages which REALLY were
not supported, at least if you found bugs), and SunOS 4.1.X is still
very popular.  This year, there are products now supported only on
Solaris, the great majority are supported on both (especially major
vendors), and vanishingly few supported only on SunOS.  Both may well
be around until Windows [whatever] takes over, which may happen.
Sometimes engineers realize too late that what appears (currently) to
be a buggy (GPFs) engineering platform may have other appeals to the
MIS/CIO departments that may be much more vocal about standard
platform decisions.  I *wish* I knew that Sun was right...

        We still set up new machines with SunOS and Solaris; Dual-bootable
sounds especially neat to me this year...

Cheers,
Connie "Any UNIX Is Better Than No UNIX At All" O'Dell

--
Connie L. O'Dell
Bell Labs Design Automation, makers of ATTSIM and FormalCheck

Sun, 21 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

Quote:
> =>: Curious to know from the folks in the EDA community if we think Sun OS
> =>: 4.1.3
> =>: will go to the graveyard (like Domain 10.4 did) next year. Like to hear
> =>: your flames/comments.
> =>

Definitely. But the reason is Solaris; it's far superior to SunOS.
All of the major EDA vendors I know of are supplying Solaris and
SunOS binaries, so SunOS is already dying.

I'm dreaming here, but it would be great if Solaris sends NT to the
graveyard as well.........

Disclaimer: My opinions, not my employer's

Mon, 22 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

Quote:

> > =>: Curious to know from the folks in the EDA community if we think Sun OS
> > =>: 4.1.3
> > =>: will go to the graveyard (like Domain 10.4 did) next year. Like to hear
> > =>: your flames/comments.
> > =>

> Definitely. But the reason is Solaris; it's far superior to SunOS.
> All of the major EDA vendors I know of are supplying Solaris and
> SunOS binaries, so SunOS is already dying.

> I'm dreaming here, but it would be great if Solaris sends NT to the
> graveyard as well.........

Yep.  I think you're dreaming.  Solaris will not kill NT.  If, for not
other reason, then that EDA venders insist on charging 2-3x the NT price
for the privilage of running under Unix.

I have an ugly fealing that NT will kill Solaris.

----
"..very sad life.  Probably have very sad death.  But there's symetry"
Remember the home hobbyist computer: Born 1975, died April 29, 1994

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

writes:

[Deleted]

Quote:
>Yep.  I think you're dreaming.  Solaris will not kill NT.  If, for not
>other reason, then that EDA venders insist on charging 2-3x the NT
price
>for the privilage of running under Unix.

>I have an ugly fealing that NT will kill Solaris.

I too feel that Unix is unfortunately dieing. It is amazing that Unix
survived this long. Unix vendors seem to have always been intent on
killing it! and it looks like they are finally succeeding.

Ayoub Misherghi

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

Quote:

>I have an ugly fealing that NT will kill Solaris.

*sigh* Given what happens when Microsoft takes over a market, that's too
bad...  (But see related thread on LInux & EDA)

Quote:
>----
>"..very sad life.  Probably have very sad death.  But there's symetry"
>Remember the home hobbyist computer: Born 1975, died April 29, 1994

I'll bite, what happened on this date ----------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ?

Phil

--

"Those who do not wish to recall have already had enough time - and will
have more - to destroy all documents, down to the very last one."

Tue, 23 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

First, let me make it clear that I'm stating *MY* opinion; NOT my
employer's.

If I could get the software I needed running on Solaris, I'd switch from
SunOS. The
reasons for doing so are:
   1. Performance is better than SunOS (I have equivilent Sparc 20 systems
that
       consistently show faster software build times on Solaris)
   2. Solaris is the OS Sun *wants* to support (so which do you think will
get
       better support from Sun?)
   3. The new Sun hardware will not run SunOS
   4. It's expensive for software companies to support different OS
versions. I would
       expect that when the number of users for SunOS drops below some
threshold
       the software companies will phase out support for SunOS.

Just my $.02,
Joe

Thu, 25 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

: > > =>: Curious to know from the folks in the EDA community if we think Sun OS
: > > =>: 4.1.3
: > > =>: will go to the graveyard (like Domain 10.4 did) next year. Like to hear
: > > =>: your flames/comments.
: > > =>
: >

: ----
: "..very sad life.  Probably have very sad death.  But there's symetry"
: Remember the home hobbyist computer: Born 1975, died April 29, 1994

Note that as the capability of the PC interface increased, so have
the cost popular CAD tools. I believe that the trend will continue such that
eventually the smart vendor will make no price differentiation between
UNIX or Windows.  At DAC there was a Korean vendor selling what appeared
to be first rate VHDL and Layoot tools on either the PC or UNIX platforms
with no cost difference.

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

I am working on CAD for almost two decades.
Long ago I started with outdated tools and observed that this tools
survived for at least a decade after being outdated.

In my opinion SunOS 4.1.3-tools will stay in use up to the next
millenium.
--
Gunther Hess                              | University of Rostock
Tel.: +49 (0)381 498 - 3530               | Dept. of EE

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 21 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Are the days of CAE tools support on SunOS 4.1.3 numbered (4.1.3 to the graveyard) ??

2. Day of year- the day number

3. Request for experiences with Linux CAE tools

4. Request for experiences with Linux CAE tools

5. 30 day trial support in ProtectedProductSessionManager

6. Computer Systems Support Analyst III - Dallas, TX 7/2/98 10:43:35 AM

7. julian day number in J

8. Here's a Fuction to Return Number of Week Days in a Month

9. Number of work days between two dates

10. Number of days

11. Number of working days between dates.

12. number of days between dates