Please post FPGA questions in comp.arch.fpga
Author Message
 Please post FPGA questions in comp.arch.fpga

People,

<netcop mode on>

Please post your purely FPGA related questions in comp.arch.fpga and not
here. A quick check of messages still on my server shows that, in my
opinion, 19 of the 78 threads there clearly belong in comp.arch.fpga and
not here.

Posting to the wrong newsgroup is a "bad thing" for several reasons:

1. It decreases the "signal to noise ratio" for the group which can
cause those who are only interested in the stated focus of the group to
stop contributing. I've seen this happen in other groups.

2. It reduces the chances that you'll get an answer to your question.
For instance, many people use Verilog to design FPGAs and it is unlikely
that a post in this group will reach them.

3. Some people (me, for instance) won't answer a post if it is obviously
in the wrong group.

4. It's just plain bad manners.

So please consider whether your post is on-topic before hitting the send
button. And don't cross post to both groups unless there is a good
chance that it is relevant to both groups.

<netcop mode off>

Thanks
Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:39:50 GMT
 Please post FPGA questions in comp.arch.fpga

Quote:
> <netcop mode on>

*sigh*

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 04:16:32 GMT
 Please post FPGA questions in comp.arch.fpga

Quote:

> For instance, many people use Verilog to design FPGAs and it is unlikely
> that a post in this group will reach them.

This is just your opinion. There is no real reason to write FPGA in
Verilog. VHDL is good for FPGA too.

Claudio

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:52:51 GMT
 Please post FPGA questions in comp.arch.fpga

Quote:

> > For instance, many people use Verilog to design FPGAs and it is unlikely
> > that a post in this group will reach them.

> This is just your opinion. There is no real reason to write FPGA in
> Verilog. VHDL is good for FPGA too.

It is a fact that many people DO use Verilog. He didn't say that that
was the only way to do it. The point was that if you have a problem with
FPGAs, asking about it in a VHDL newsgroup will mean that you miss the
input from Verilog programmers who may be able to help with an FPGA
problem, even if you are writing your RTL in VHDL.

Lets be sensible about this: its not the end of the world if someone
posts in the wrong group, but if it is done all the time then what would
be the point in having different groups?

--

  L_   _|   Senior Design Engineer
    | |     Tality, Alba Campus, Livingston EH54 7HH, Scotland
    ! |     Phone: +44 1506 595360        Fax: +44 1506 595959

T A L I T Y                http://www.tality.com

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:28:38 GMT

1. FPGA design services, FPGA to ASIC conversion

2. ANNOUNCE: FPGA design with FPGA Express - UK Seminars

3. DLL of a Virtex FPGA and FPGA Express V3.3

4. FPGA design services in VHDL and Verilog, FPGA to ASIC conversion

5. ANNOUNCE: FPGA design with FPGA Express - UK Seminars

6. Mind.forth: convergence of comp.arch and brain.arch

7. Please take this stuff off comp.arch

8. Post Synthesis Simulation in Synopsys for Xilinx XL4000 FPGA

9. I need a commercial PCI FPGA board, please help

10. Please help with Cossap and VHDL...FPGA synthesis

11. HELP WANTED!!! I CAN't read comp.arch.fpga