Want a good book to learn vhdl
Author Message
 Want a good book to learn vhdl

Can someone please recommend a good book to start learning vhdl from. I
borrow a book from a friend and it's a 1990 issue. There's got to be
something more recent out there. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Khouay Tran

Sat, 28 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Want a good book to learn vhdl

Quote:

> Can someone please recommend a good book to start learning vhdl from. I
> borrow a book from a friend and it's a 1990 issue. There's got to be
> something more recent out there. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

> --
> Khouay Tran

Hi Khouay,

The year when VHDL became a standard was 1987. Even if there was a new release
in 1992, a book from 1990 contains still the most part of the language.
Anyway, I list you some books:

[1] Chip-Level Modelling with VHDL
    James R. Amstrong
    1989 Prentice Hall

[2] A Guide to VHDL
    S. Mazor/P. Langstraat
    1993 KAP

[3] Schaltungsdesign mit VHDL
    Lehmann/Wunder/Selz
    1994 Franzis'

[4] VHDL '92
    Berge/Fonkoua/Maginot/Rouillard
    1993 KAP

[5] VHDL
    Douglas L. Perry
    1991 Mc Graw-Hill

[6] Structured logic design with VHDL
    J. Amstrong/ F. Gail Gray
    1993 Prentice Hall

[7] Circuit Synthesis with VHDL
    Airiau/Berge/Olive
    1994 KAP

[8] ASIC System design with VHDL
    Leung/Shanblatt
    1989 KAP

[9] Applications of VHDL to Circuit Design
    Harr/Stanculescu
    1991 KAP

[10]Digital System Design using VHDL
    Chin-Hwa Lee
    1992 Corral Tek

[11]A VHDL Primer
    J. Bhasker
    AT&T Bell Laboratories
    Prentice Hall
    (ISBN 0-13-181447-8)

[12]A VHDL Synthesis Primer
    J. Bhasker
    AT&T Bell Laboratories
    (ISBN 0-9650391-0-2)

[13]Hardware Description and Design
    Lipset/Schaefer/Ussery
    1990 KAP
    (ISBN 0-7923-9030-x)

--
    Michael Pichler
    --------------------------------------

Sun, 29 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Want a good book to learn vhdl

Quote:

> Can someone please recommend a good book to start learning vhdl from. I
> borrow a book from a friend and it's a 1990 issue. There's got to be
> something more recent out there. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

There are many nice books available. (see also the monthly posting in this
newsgroup)

For VHDL you could try:
        "VHDL: techniques, experiments, and caveats"
        Joseph Pick
        Publ. McGraw Hill, 1995
        ISBN 0-07-049906-3

For synthesis of VHDL try:
        A VHDL synthesis primer
        J. Bhasker
        Publ. Star Galaxy Publishing, 1996
        ISBN 0-9650391-0-2
        NOTE: this book has a brief introduction to VHDL
              it focus on synthesis aspects of VHDL

But remember .. there are more nice books!

Egbert Molenkamp
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Twente
PO Box 217
7500 AE  Enschede
the Netherlands

Sun, 29 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Want a good book to learn vhdl

Take a look at my book  "VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies",
ISBN 0-7923-9598-0  Kluwer Academic Publishers.  It provides lots of
examples available on disk.  It also emphasizes the design of testbenches
(in chapter 10), and provides a complete susbsytem model using a simple
UART, CPU BFMs driving the UART, a transmission line with jitter, and a
verifier
to detect any errors in the transmision.

The table of contents foor the book is in my FTP site:
 users.aol.com       /vhdlcohen/vhdl
Ben Cohen
--

--=============================================
-- Ben Cohen, "VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies ",
--  ISBN 0-7923-9598-0  Kluwer Academic Publishers.
-- FTP site:   users.aol.com       /vhdlcohen
-- Hughes Aircraft Co,  RE- R1/B507
-- 2000 East Imperial Hwy
-- El Segundo, Ca, 90245
-- (310) 334-7389,      fax: (310) 334-1749
--=============================================

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Good (best) VHDL book?

2. good book for learning Smalltalk?

3. What is best book to learn smalltalk

4. A good book to learn Eiffel on ?

5. good book to learn clipper

6. Looking for Good detailed book to learn COBOL from

7. Best programing book for learning Rexx on VM/CMS Mainframe

8. Good book for learning Tk (w/ Ruby)?

9. Any good books for learning XSCHEME

10. Good books for learning VRML 2.0

11. good verilog book or online link to learn for begineer

12. I am just learning verilog any good books or websites