Novice questions
Author Message
 Novice questions

I have a problem which consists in simulating an embedded computer card,
and I wonder if this is feasible with VHDL and whether there are
somewhere
some already made packages which I could reuse.

Explaining, my card has a MC68020 + MC68882 + timers + I/O to second
card with MC68020 + ... + 1553B bus controller.

Therefore the following questions to all VHDL experts:

- Does anyone know whether it is possible to build a VHDL model of the
MC 68020 processor using VHDL? Has
it been done it already?
- Does anyone know about other languages for this purpose?
- Is it easy to model a MIL-STD-1553B (2 wires, 1Mbits) bus using VHDL?
I am not interested in the electrical level but only in the frames
(packets of data being transfered). Do  you have experience in modelling
buses?
- BIG UNKNOWN (for me): how difficult  is it to model
using VHDL these CPU cards (without the MC)?
And what do I need for this, if it is possible?

Thanks for giving me some advice.

Armand

Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Novice questions

: - Does anyone know whether it is possible to build a VHDL model of the
: MC 68020 processor using VHDL? Has
: it been done it already?

My suggestion is to get hold of the SmartModel library from Synopsys, along
with your favorite VHDL or Verilog simulator.  They have several 68k
variants, as well as memories, IO peripherals, etc.

Check http://www.synopsys.com

: - Does anyone know about other languages for this purpose?

Many people use Verilog; same thing but different [insert VHDL vs. Verilog
holy wars here].

: - Is it easy to model a MIL-STD-1553B (2 wires, 1Mbits) bus using VHDL?

Probably pretty hard, depending on the level of intelligence of your
controller.  I'd check out the company making your 1553 interface or other
companies (such as DDC) and see if they have a model.

: - BIG UNKNOWN (for me): how difficult  is it to model
: using VHDL these CPU cards (without the MC)?
: And what do I need for this, if it is possible?

Easy if you can find models for all the chips.  As I wrote above, SmartModel
library + VHDL/Verilog simulator + fast workstation (or lots of time).
I'm using Synopsys-VSS (slow) and Verilog-XL (faster) on a Sun Ultra 2
and a couple SS10/Hypersparc machines.

Oh...hope whomever you work for has deep pockets...

--

                Ken

Orbital Sciences Corp.          (301) 353-1714          20301 Century Blvd.
   / Fairchild Defense          FAX:     -8679          Germantown, MD 20874

Apologies for the antispam; reverse the domain to email me.

Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Novice questions

Quote:

> Explaining, my card has a MC68020 + MC68882 + timers + I/O to second
> card with MC68020 + ... + 1553B bus controller.

> Therefore the following questions to all VHDL experts:

> - Does anyone know whether it is possible to build a VHDL model of the
> MC 68020 processor using VHDL? Has
> it been done it already?

Yes it has but to what level are you concerned.  Are you concerned about
timing of this hardware?  Are you wanting to play software against the
processor?  Are you just concerned about functionality?

Quote:
> - Does anyone know about other languages for this purpose?

As mentioned before Verilog but either will do the job.

Quote:
> - Is it easy to model a MIL-STD-1553B (2 wires, 1Mbits) bus using VHDL?

Yes, this is a simple transaction based model with a very good
specification.  Again are you looking for timing or just functional.

Quote:
> I am not interested in the electrical level but only in the frames
> (packets of data being transfered). Do  you have experience in modelling
> buses?

What do you mean by buses?  You can easily do tri-state in either
language to whatever size you want.

Quote:
> - BIG UNKNOWN (for me): how difficult  is it to model
> using VHDL these CPU cards (without the MC)?
> And what do I need for this, if it is possible?

Yes, quite doable.  A current client I am working for has a fault
tolerant, multiple CPU, multiple Cards Disk Array Farm.  The entire
thing is simulated including boot code.  Yes its slow at time with all
the processors enabled but the simulation model allows you to see
"functional" things you could never test in the lab.

As mentioned in a previous post looking at Logic Models makes good
sense.  You can just purchase the models you need or comb the net for
many common models but not processors.  Logic Modeling has worked out
all the details of having function models and full models the later can
run your code.  This is a good place to start.

Although I would have to disagree with the last poster about deep
pockets, I have used a PC with NT on it to model very large system in
both languages.

Tom Tessier
--
+------------------------ http://www.hdl-design.com -------------------+
: t2design                                                             :

+------------------------ ---------------------- ----------------------+

Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Novice questions

Hi Armand,

Quote:
> - Does anyone know whether it is possible to build a VHDL model of the
> MC 68020 processor using VHDL? Has
> it been done it already?

I guess so, though the MC68020 processor sounds a little bit too
complex to model. I don't know your design, but in most cases it's
common to model the bus of the processor, and using some package
to force cycles on that bus (read or write). In that case your
processor is some sort of black box and from your testbench you
can simulate the design.

Quote:
> - Does anyone know about other languages for this purpose?

Maybe C or Verilog. C can be used together with Cadence's Leapfrog
(the simulator I'm familiar with), seems to work, but it's Cadence...

Quote:
> - Is it easy to model a MIL-STD-1553B (2 wires, 1Mbits) bus using VHDL?

What's this ? Some serial RAM (I think it's called PRAM) ? Shouldn't
be too hard, if you have the device spec.

Quote:
> I am not interested in the electrical level but only in the frames
> (packets of data being transfered). Do  you have experience in modelling
> buses?

That's what you normally do, behavi{*filter*}modelling. I wouldn't try
to do electrical level stuff... that's why they invented AHDL. Like I
wrote above, you should model the behavior of the buses, not complete
processors.

Quote:
> And what do I need for this, if it is possible?

Depends on which tools are available. A good VHDL simulator, I would
say.

Loek (actually Philips Semiconductors)

    ,------------------------.
   / Let's make chips better! \
   \   ______,----------------'
    | /        Ir. Loek Frederiks
  _ |/           Philips Research Laboratories
 oo\              Video Communications
(__)\       _      Room B3.19, 345 Scarborough Road
  \  \    .'  `.    Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510-2099, United States
   \  \  /      \

      '-| )__| :.  \  PWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/ :8080/~frederik
        | |  | | \  '.  Phone: +1 914 945 6129
       c__; c__;  '-..'>.__ Fax: +1 914 945 6046

Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Novice question

2. Super novice question..

3. Novice Question - Array Elements

4. Novice question - child window in VW5i.2

5. Yet another novice question

6. novice question: shallow and deep copies

7. Novice questions: Smalltalk 3.0 for DOS

8. novice question: subtyping String class?

9. Novices Questions

10. Loop for Items in .S (Novice question)

11. Novice Questions

12. Haskell novice question - deriving from Show