VHDL Analog Extensions: what's the score?
Author Message
 VHDL Analog Extensions: what's the score?

Does anyone know the current state of affairs in the VHDL Analog Extensions
proposal? It will be an official IEEE standard: IEEE 1076.1 and a workgroup
formed by members from industry (Analogy [Beaverton, OR, USA] and Anacad
[Ulm, Germany] are at least involved), government (it was an orignal DoD
contract awarded by Rome Airforce Laboratories, I believe, that was granted
to Analogy to develop a proposal), and academia (but who?).

Two papers I have traced that originate from the early days of the VHDL/A
proposal: one by Cottrell, Nolan and Brown, presented at EURO-DAC 1992, and
another by El-Tahawy, Rouquier, and Rodriguez, presented in September 1991
in Stockholm (I can't read the conference name from my copy). Does anyone know
of any new papers that have appeared since then? Has a preliminary
implementation or formal language proposal been published?

Thanks, Marq

PS As I do not read NetNews too often, you can also reply to me at my email

to Analog HDL's. I'm not a VHDL expert; I don't even know anything beyond
the basics, but I do have my own ideas about Analog HDL's.

--

  Marq Kole
  Laboratory for Networktheory

Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:42:22 GMT
 VHDL Analog Extensions: what's the score?

Quote:

>Does anyone know the current state of affairs in the VHDL Analog Extensions
>proposal? It will be an official IEEE standard: IEEE 1076.1 and a workgroup
>formed by members from industry (Analogy [Beaverton, OR, USA] and Anacad
>[Ulm, Germany] are at least involved), government (it was an orignal DoD
>contract awarded by Rome Airforce Laboratories, I believe, that was granted
>to Analogy to develop a proposal), and academia (but who?).

>Two papers I have traced that originate from the early days of the VHDL/A
>proposal: one by Cottrell, Nolan and Brown, presented at EURO-DAC 1992, and
>another by El-Tahawy, Rouquier, and Rodriguez, presented in September 1991
>in Stockholm (I can't read the conference name from my copy). Does anyone know
>of any new papers that have appeared since then? Has a preliminary
>implementation or formal language proposal been published?

>Thanks, Marq

>PS As I do not read NetNews too often, you can also reply to me at my email

>to Analog HDL's. I'm not a VHDL expert; I don't even know anything beyond
>the basics, but I do have my own ideas about Analog HDL's.

>--

>  Marq Kole
>  Laboratory for Networktheory
>  Faculty of Electrical Engineering
>  University of Twente
>  P.O.Box 217
>  7500 AE Enschede
>  The Netherlands

Two papers are below.  There references point to more.

CICC'94:
        %A R. Saleh
        %A D. Rodes
        %A E. Christen
        %A B. Antao
        %T Analog Hardware Description Languages
        %J Proc. IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference
        %C San Diego, CA.
        %P 349-356
        %M May
        %D 1994
its list of references point to many major docs

ASIC'94:
        %A R. Shi
        %A E. Christen
        %A P Liebmann
        %A S. Krolikoski
        %A W. Zhou
        %T VHDL-A Analog Extension to VHDL
        %J Proc. IEEE Int. ASIC Conference and Exhibit
        %C Rochester, NY.
        %P 160-165
        %M Sep
        %D 1994

--

 VLSI Group, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1
 519-888-4567x3995, FAX 519-746-5195

Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:08:48 GMT

1. VHDL analog extension

2. Score one for the 'little guy'

3. 'Scoring' programs - Mainframe and PC

4. Analog Extensions and/or AHDL

5. VHDL'87 to VHDL'93 upgrade

6. VHDL'87 vs VHDL'93

7. Analog VHDL

8. HELP! analog-VHDL

9. VHDL AMS(Analog and Mixed Signal) Parser

10. HELP analog vhdl

11. Analog vhdl modules

12. Analog discription in VHDL ?