Info about Compass Design Automation ?
Author Message
 Info about Compass Design Automation ?

Quote:

>I would need info about this american company.
>If anyone can tell me where I could get that
>any ftp or web site ?

Compass Design Automation has its own newsgroup called "comp.cad.compass".
In a nutshell, they make EDA tools that are very closely tied to VLSI
Technology, Inc. -- if I'm not mistaken Compass is a wholely owned
subsidiary of VLSI Tech.  (As a consequence I'm told they're *great* tools
if you're designing a VLSI Tech chip but many of the 30+ other silicon
foundries have voiced suspicion of helping Compass too much for fear of
somehow divulging precious process secrets to its parent company.  Compass
has worked recently to try to dispell these fears but to what level of
success I don't know.)

Concerning the Verilog/VHDL wars, Compass Design has shown through its ads
that it's clearly on the VHDL side marketing VHDL oriented software.  I
haven't heard of any attempts on Compass' part to market equivalent Verilog
oriented software.

Their mailing address is: 1865 Lundy Ave., San Jose, CA  95131  and can
be reached toll free at (800) 200-VHDL.

                           - John Cooley
                             Part Time EDA Consumer Advocate
                             Full Time ASIC, FPGA & EDA Design Consultant

 Trapped trying to figure out a Synopsys bug?  Want to hear how 3114 other
 users dealt with it ?  Then join the E-Mail Synopsys Users Group (ESNUG)!

     /o o\  /  it's a FEATURE!"                 (508) 429-4357
    (  >  )
     \ - /     - John Cooley, EDA & ASIC Design Consultant in Synopsys,
     _] [_         Verilog, VHDL and numerous Design Methodologies.

     Holliston Poor Farm, P.O. Box 6222, Holliston, MA  01746-6222
   Legal Disclaimer: "As always, anything said here is only opinion."

Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:12:24 GMT
 Info about Compass Design Automation ?

|> >I would need info about this american company.
|> >If anyone can tell me where I could get that
|> >any ftp or web site ?
|>
|> Compass Design Automation has its own newsgroup called "comp.cad.compass".
|> In a nutshell, they make EDA tools that are very closely tied to VLSI
|> Technology, Inc. -- if I'm not mistaken Compass is a wholely owned
|> subsidiary of VLSI Tech.  (As a consequence I'm told they're *great* tools
|> if you're designing a VLSI Tech chip but many of the 30+ other silicon
|> foundries have voiced suspicion of helping Compass too much for fear of
|> somehow divulging precious process secrets to its parent company.  Compass
|> has worked recently to try to dispell these fears but to what level of
|> success I don't know.)
|>
|> Concerning the Verilog/VHDL wars, Compass Design has shown through its ads
|> that it's clearly on the VHDL side marketing VHDL oriented software.  I
|> haven't heard of any attempts on Compass' part to market equivalent Verilog
|> oriented software.
|>
|> Their mailing address is: 1865 Lundy Ave., San Jose, CA  95131  and can
|> be reached toll free at (800) 200-VHDL.
|>
|>                            - John Cooley
|>                              Part Time EDA Consumer Advocate
|>                              Full Time ASIC, FPGA & EDA Design Consultant

As someone who has at least taken the Compass tools class over there, I'm
pretty confident in saying that Compass is now(and has been for a couple
years) an independent spin-off from VLSI Tech. ( I asked that question
when I was taking the class)

Anyone care to correct me if I'm wrong?

Steve Wilson

Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:12:34 GMT
 Info about Compass Design Automation ?
There is some misinformation here that needs to be corrected. COMPASS does

make a full line of EDA tools, and they are a wholely owned subsidiary of
VLSI Technology. They currently have design kits for 20 different
foundries,
including VLSI. They also make and sell their own libraries which can be
owned by end users and fabbed by multiple foundries. The relationship with
VLSI is not as tight as it once was.

COMPASS has had success in working with foundries other than VLSI, mostly
in Europe, Japan and the Pacific rim. They continue to work to expand the
list of supported foundries. COMPASS owns 60% of the cell based library
market and has designed and delivered libraries in .8, .6, .5, and .35
micron technologies.

COMPASS recently announced an agreement with Synopsys for the support of
the
COMPASS floorplanning tool, ChipPlanner. ChipPlanner is currently the only
floorplanner with multiple ASIC vendor endor{*filter*}ts.

COMPASS supports both VHDL and Verilog equally in synthesis and libraries.
John
may have gotten the impression that they have taken sides in the
VHDL/Verilog
battle because COMPASS acquired some VHDL products when it purchased CLSI
in 1993. One of these was a VHDL learning kit called VHDL Scout, that was
marketed
for a while in 1994. These may have been the ads John mentioned. The
800-200-VHDL
number was only for ordering that product.

COMPASS has its USA headquarter at:
1865 Lundy Ave
San Jose, CA 95131
408-433-4880

European headquarters is at
505, Route des Lucioles
06560 Sophia Antipolis
France
33-92-94-46-00

Sales offices are located throughout the USA, Europe, and the Far East.
There is no web site yet.
Sorry if this commercial use of the net, but I felt this needed to be
corrected.

Tom Donnelly
Employed by COMPASS, but speaking for myself on my own time.

:
[...]

Sat, 19 Jul 1997 18:55:28 GMT
 Info about Compass Design Automation ?
hi,
        how is Compass when compared to Synopsys or Cadence...how are
their products ranked..any idea...
--
Balakrishna Kumthekar

Apt.# 109N, Boulder, CO-80303. (303) 449-6240 (H),(303) 492-1135(O)

Sun, 20 Jul 1997 03:53:28 GMT
 Info about Compass Design Automation ?

: hi,
:       how is Compass when compared to Synopsys or Cadence...how are
: their products ranked..any idea...
Hi,
far as I know Compass is okay for digital design, specification to
tapeout;
Synopsys is okay for digital design using VHDL, spec to schematic,
recently adding place & route stuff (from what I hear/see still the
best VHDL-synthesizer available), Synopsys software can be used as
addition to any other design-environment;
Cadence is a more complete toolset, for digital and analog (also for
mixed signal design), spec to tapeout, also PCB design-tools.
--

 IC-Designer            Snail: Faselec AG, Binzstr. 44, CH-8045 Zurich
                        Tel: +41 1 465 13 90   Fax: +41 1 462 45 45

Mon, 04 Aug 1997 19:01:42 GMT

1. Info about Compass Design Automation ?

2. Design Automation Conference Seeks Design Papers

3. Design Automation Conference Seeks Design Papers

4. : Design Automation Engineer

5. Senior Design Automation Engineer Position

6. Address, phone, or email addr of Veda Design Automation

7. Call for Participation: 2nd UK ACM SIGDA Workshop on Design Automation

8. CFP: 2nd UK ACM SIGDA Workshop on Electronic Design Automation

9. Address, phone, or email addr of Veda Design Automation

10. Automation Open and Automation Close (Excel)