AL2 to Xilinx FPGA Question
Author Message
 AL2 to Xilinx FPGA Question

I have a question concerning using Mentor AutoLogic II for Xilinx FPGA
synthesis.  I would like to know some literature sources on how AL2 synthesizes
VHDL arithmetic operators like + and *.  If I use one of the synthesizable
libraries like IEEE.std_logic_arith or IEEE.numeric_std, the "+" operator is
replaced by a XBLOX ADD macro by AL2, regardless of how the package function
is described in the standard libraries.  If I overload my own "+" operator,
AL2 uses my code and never substitutes the XBLOX macro.  The "*" operator
behaves in the same way.  I always get a flat multiplier.  I plan to write
my own sequential "*" but I'd like a source on how AL2 makes operator
substitution desicisions for Xilinx 4K technology.  This isn't in Bold Browser
because its technology specific and the AL2 to Xilinx sources I have already
only go so far as the "+" operator being mapped to XBLOX ADD/SUB macros.
I'm looking for something more comprehensive.  I mean, somebody in Mentor
made those Xilinx AL2 technology files but there isn't any documentation on
them.  The readme files with them are very terse.  Help!

--

 Past IEEE Student Branch Vice Chair     Mentor Graphics SysAdm, EE & ISC, UMR
               Home     314-364-8827     Office     314-341-6557

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Xilinx FPGA Map report question

2. Repost: New CAD tools for new Xilinx XC6200 FPGA

3. New CAD tools for new Xilinx XC6200 FPGA

4. ANNOUNCE: XILINX FPGA Kits prices

5. High Performance FPGA's - Xilinx and ??????

6. ANNOUNCE: XILINX FPGA DEV KIT WITH ROUTING

7. PCB, Cadence, OrCAD, Protel, FPGA, VHDL, Natinst, Xilinx, Siemens Simatic,

8. Analyse static timing for Xilinx FPGA

9. CAD/CAM/CAE/CFD/PCB-VHDL-FPGA-XILINX/MATH/CHEM/GIS-GPS/from Athens, Greece

10. Synplicity vs Xilinx FPGA Express

11. Help: Passing constriants from SYNOPSYS FPGA compiler to XILINX M1 impplementation

12. Announce: Stackable XILINX FPGA Modules PC104 or standalone