Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes
Author Message
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing acceleration ?
How much can it cost?

Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:17:59 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

> Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing acceleration ?
> How much can it cost?

Doesn't nVidia, ATI, etc have this problem{*filter*}ed to death. Buy the
latest nVidia card for PC, and that should do several orders better
than anything else you could build yourself.

JJ

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:18:00 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

> > Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing acceleration ?
> > How much can it cost?

> Doesn't nVidia, ATI, etc have this problem{*filter*}ed to death. Buy the
> latest nVidia card for PC, and that should do several orders better
> than anything else you could build yourself.

Video cards don't support hardware acceleration for raytracing. OpenGL,
movies and simple shading of polygons, yes, raytracing no.

--
Ken Tyler

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:39:50 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

>>>Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing acceleration ?
>>>How much can it cost?

>>Doesn't nVidia, ATI, etc have this problem{*filter*}ed to death. Buy the
>>latest nVidia card for PC, and that should do several orders better
>>than anything else you could build yourself.

> Video cards don't support hardware acceleration for raytracing. OpenGL,
> movies and simple shading of polygons, yes, raytracing no.

I'm not really aware of the specifics of the newer cards, but if you
were willing to get your hands dirty, I bet you could convince a Geforce
3+ to do some work for you in pre-processing/animation work. (I'm
referring to the vertex pipeline/transformation instructions.)

It's probably not worth it, though.

Jason

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:56:52 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

> Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing acceleration ?
> How much can it cost?

Hi, take a look at RenderDrive & PURE on www.artvps.com

Best regards,

Mark

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:19:07 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

> Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing acceleration ?
> How much can it cost?

        Zip. Nothing. No graphics card can speed up raytracing, period.

        A graphics card speeds up the display if the program calls its built in
primitives. Rendering programs do not call those primitives but rather
are CPU intensive calculations of each pixel.

--
2003 March 14: Israel {*filter*}s eleven Palestinians.
        -- The Iron Webmaster, 2576

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:50:59 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

>Video cards don't support hardware acceleration for raytracing. OpenGL,
>movies and simple shading of polygons, yes, raytracing no.

But they do support vertex and pixel shaders, which can be used for a
lot of funky things, for instance: "Ray Tracing on Programmable
Graphics Hardware" http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/rtongfx/

(if it's down, try http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/purcell02ray.html)

- Asbj?rn

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:08:29 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

> > Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing
acceleration ?
> > How much can it cost?

> Zip. Nothing. No graphics card can speed up raytracing, period.

> A graphics card speeds up the display if the program calls its built in
> primitives. Rendering programs do not call those primitives but rather
> are CPU intensive calculations of each pixel.

Parallel processing is the best way to do ray-tracing. Transputers used to
be very good at it.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:00:17 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:
> A graphics card speeds up the display if the program calls its built in
> primitives. Rendering programs do not call those primitives but rather
> are CPU intensive calculations of each pixel.

I didn't mean video card with 3D-Studio like program as a ready solution.
I'm interested in ready system-on-chip which can accelerate the raytracing
process. Software part (drivers, program like 3DS and so on) I can write by
oneself.

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:18:22 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:
> Hi, take a look at RenderDrive & PURE on www.artvps.com

Wow, that's really cool and powerful system, but... This is not one chip,
this is very huge box with  lot of electronics :(

Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:27:00 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes
http://www.saarcor.de/
Quote:

> Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing acceleration ?
> How much can it cost?

Sat, 01 Oct 2005 00:38:18 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

>>A graphics card speeds up the display if the program calls its built in
>>primitives. Rendering programs do not call those primitives but rather
>>are CPU intensive calculations of each pixel.
> I didn't mean video card with 3D-Studio like program as a ready solution.
> I'm interested in ready system-on-chip which can accelerate the raytracing
> process. Software part (drivers, program like 3DS and so on) I can write by
> oneself.

        That is the point. The CPU is the chip that does all the work. A faster
CPU (with compatible motherboard and chipset and all) is the only way to
speed up things.

--
Memory Hole: Original US analysis had 5000 Kurds gassed by Iran,
not 60,000 and not 100,000 nor by Iraq.

Sat, 01 Oct 2005 05:01:01 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

>>>Does somebody know any ready hardware systems for raytracing
>> acceleration ?
>>>How much can it cost?

>>Zip. Nothing. No graphics card can speed up raytracing, period.

>>A graphics card speeds up the display if the program calls its built in
>>primitives. Rendering programs do not call those primitives but rather
>>are CPU intensive calculations of each pixel.

> Parallel processing is the best way to do ray-tracing. Transputers used to
> be very good at it.

        I've connected my older computers into a LAN. I've been parcelling out
frames for animations with very worth-the-effort improvements. I've been
considering an actual cluster but haven't worked out how to make it work
with povray yet. I can automatically parcel out rows by cpu speed but I
haven't dug into cleanly reassembling them to a single image. I can do
that without a cluster.

--
Those who think and question are the minority, those who do not
the majority. Directing propaganda at those who think and question

Sat, 01 Oct 2005 05:05:55 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes
If you're using Linux, OpenMosix is some good load balancing software..
Then you could do someting like start up a bunch of processes to render
each scanline, and then OpenMosix would move these processes out to the
other computers automatically.

 -Buddy

Quote:

>    I've connected my older computers into a LAN. I've been parcelling out
> frames for animations with very worth-the-effort improvements. I've been
> considering an actual cluster but haven't worked out how to make it work
> with povray yet. I can automatically parcel out rows by cpu speed but I
> haven't dug into cleanly reassembling them to a single image. I can do
> that without a cluster.

> --
> Those who think and question are the minority, those who do not
> the majority. Directing propaganda at those who think and question
> can at best gain 100% of the minority. It is best to target
> the majority.
>    -- The Iron Webmaster, 2607

Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:09:03 GMT
 Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

Quote:

> If you're using Linux, OpenMosix is some good load balancing software..
> Then you could do someting like start up a bunch of processes to render
> each scanline, and then OpenMosix would move these processes out to the
> other computers automatically.

        Yes but for a single image ...

        With povray I can manually have it render an X by Y section. Most
easily X rows per computer based upon clock speed. I know of no way to
parcel out the rows automatically without rewriting the povray source
and of course learning how to do that.

        Even then, each processor would create an output file in the chosen
format with all the right headers. So they would have to be processed to
reassemble instead of simply concatenating them. Ideally instead of each
processor writing to its own file it would send the results to one
computer which would then create a single output file. That would be
another interesting rewrite.

        That is why so far I have only addressed the trivial issue of
animations where the number of frames is assigned by clock speed.

Quote:

--
After Iraq is disarmed the US will leave, right?
        -- The Iron Webmaster, 2596

Sun, 02 Oct 2005 04:53:05 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Hardware acceleration for raytracing purposes

2. Hardware acceleration with Squeak Smalltalk?

3. VRML Viewer using D3D hardware acceleration ?

4. CP2.1b rendering Hardware Acceleration?

5. Hardware acceleration with Cosmo Player 2

6. We need to know if hardware acceleration can help our VRML performance

7. HARDWARE ACCELERATION

8. Software versus Hardware Acceleration

9. LIVE3D and hardware acceleration

10. Hardware acceleration (Direct-3D)?

11. VRML and hardware acceleration

12. PyOpenGL on Linux: waiting for hardware acceleration