Verilog is now IEEE 1364 standard
Author Message
 Verilog is now IEEE 1364 standard

As of 6:47AM PST on the 12th of December, 1995, Verilog has become the
IEEE 1364-1995 standard. Both the Revcom and the Standards Activities
Board of the IEEE have approved 1364 as a standard.

-- Vivek Sagdeo, IEEE 1364 Committee
   President, PerformanCAE Corp - Providing Training, Consulting, Tools
              for Verilog, VHDL and CAE.

Sun, 31 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog is now IEEE 1364 standard

Quote:
Sagdeo ) writes:

>    As of 6:47AM PST on the 12th of December, 1995, Verilog has become the
>    IEEE 1364-1995 standard. Both the Revcom and the Standards Activities
>    Board of the IEEE have approved 1364 as a standard.

>    -- Vivek Sagdeo, IEEE 1364 Committee
>       President, PerformanCAE Corp - Providing Training, Consulting, Tools
>             for Verilog, VHDL and CAE.

A huge congratulations is in order to Maqsoodul (Maq) Mannan, the
Chair of the IEEE-1364 Working Group, as without his tireless effort,
we would would not had had an IEEE committee, we would not have
achieved consensus in the committee, we would not have gotten the
overwhelmingly positive first round vote, we would not have gotten
Revcom approval in the first round.

Further congratulations are in order to the various members of the
IEEE-1364 Working Group, who gave up parts of their real job, parts of
their real life, for the tiresome job of creating a standard.

Much appreciation is also in order to the members of the balloting
committe that took time out of their schedule to read the ballot
document, and to respond with comments and criticisms.

-----------------

Presumably a Working Group starts up soon to enhance the standard; I
recommend folks participate in any way they can; I must say I found my
participation worthwhile.

-mac
--
Michael McNamara
Verilog-HDL Consulting Services, Inc.

Sun, 31 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog is now IEEE 1364 standard

Quote:

>As of 6:47AM PST on the 12th of December, 1995, Verilog has become the
>IEEE 1364-1995 standard.

Well, congratulations Phil, your language is finally officially a
standard. What a giggle. (Happily not a US Government standard. Whew.
Escaped that one). Congrats to Peter, too, who shares in the pedigree
via Hilo. Both you guys should be really amazed that you would have
such an impact on the world. (Far cry from eating lunch in the Brunell
cafeteria, eh?)

O.K. you can retire now and rest on your laurels. Heh. Well, Peter
still has to work for a living, but stature wise he can retire, too.

Sincerely, a toast to you both. Very cool, indeed.

Garfield

Wed, 03 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog is now IEEE 1364 standard
With all due credit to the 2 folks mentioned in your message, it is hardly
their language.  It was originaly developed at Gateway, and there were
other significant contributors to Verilog than Phil including myself.
(Apart from the fact that the standard was brought to yiu by 1364
Committee and we even gave you the news)
I take it that your congratulations are intended for all the developers of
Verilog!! Well, it is a great feeling!!.
Vivek Sagdeo
President, PerformanCAE Corp

Thu, 04 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog is now IEEE 1364 standard
I would appreciate it if you can give me some information about verilog and if
there are manuals posted in the internet.

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog is now IEEE 1364 standard

Quote:
>Presumably a Working Group starts up soon to enhance the standard; I
>recommend folks participate in any way they can; I must say I found my
>participation worthwhile.

        I would appreciate if you tell us significant difference between
OVI2.0 and IEEE 1364-1995 in this newsgroup.
Are they same specification?

Fri, 12 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

(Shoichi Imazeki) writes:

   > The Verilog-HDL is now IEEE standard 1364-1995

           I would appreciate if you tell us significant difference between
   OVI2.0 and IEEE 1364-1995 in this newsgroup.
   Are they same specification?

IEEE 1364-1995 began with the OVI 1.0 and OVI 2.0 standards as a set
of base working documents.  OVI 1.0 was based on Cadence's
documentation for Verilog-XL 1.6. The committee also drew information
from the behavior of Cadence's Verilog-XL version 1.6 in order to
resolve ambiguities in one of A) the favor of existing practise, or B)
to resolve them so that they did not outlaw existing practise, or C)
to resolve them towards a more reasonable standard, with full
knowledge of the existing practise.

The committee took as one of its first platforms that the primary
mission was to focus on standardizing the existing pratice, rather
than to invent a new language, or new constructs, or extensively
modify current constructs.

This is not to say that there were no changes; rather that the primary
focus was standardizing the de-facto standard.  There fore most
ambiguities were resolved according to A or B.

Much new work was added in the PLI sections, which I believe many will
feel is a great improvement over what was available previously.  I
feel that this alone is a reason to add the IEEE 1364-1995 document to
your bookshelf.

Here is a brief overview of the differences between OVI 1.0 and IEEE
1364, as I remember them:

Arrays of instances incorporated into 1364 from OVI 2.0.  Attributes
were not taken from OVI 2.0, and are not standard.  Signed registers
and nets were not taken from OVI 2.0, and are non standard. A section
was added describing scheduling semantics.  Many more system tasks and
functions were documented, with some added as part of the standard,
and others added as advisory.  In particular, the value change
dumpfile system tasks and the output file format are defined and are
standardized.

Much global clean up was done, including elimination of ambiguous
language; inclusion of truth tables for all operations, over all
inputs; specification of the behavi{*filter*}of mixed type expressions
(reals, bare constants, and nets/registers); "Standardification" of
the word usage (now it is less chatty, and more definitive); and
spelling corrections.

Perhaps the major change is that IEEE 1364 is an international
standard sponsored the Institute of Electronic and Electrical
Engineers, where as OVI 1.0/2.0, while it was also an international
standard, was sponsered by an organization the existed pretty much
soley for that purpose.

As 1364 is now a standard, you should be able to order a copy from the
IEEE.

You can contact the IEEE to order in one of the four following ways:
(Taken from < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;)
---------------------
FOUR WAYS TO PLACE YOUR ORDER

PHONE:1.800.678-IEEE in the US and Canada
908-981-1393 outside of the US and Canada

FAX: 1.908-981-9667

TELEX: 833233

MAIL:

IEEE Customer Service
445 Hoes Lane, PO Box 1331
Piscataway, NJ 08855-1331
---------------------

From using the search engine at
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, (I typed in
1364, and typed begin search) it seems that all that is available at
present is the draft standard:

Project     Draft   Draft   Title   List    Member  Order
No.         Date    Version         Price   Price   No.

1364        Apr-95          Verilog HDL Language Reference Manual
                                    $86.00  $69.00  DS5408

Moreover, in the IEEE Standards Numerical Status Report
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, 1364 is
still listed as Proposed:

1.1364
   2.C/DA (Computer/Design Automation)
   3.
   4.Standard Hardware Description Language Based on the Verilog Hardward Description
     Language
   5.P  (proposed)
   6.
   7.Paul J Menchini Phone: (919) 990-9506
   8.PAR: 6/17/93

Presumably the IEEE will update its webpages, and start up the
printing presses on this standard soon, so stay tuned.  Better yet,
contact them in one of the four ways listed above, and let them know
of your interest!

Until then, I

-mac  :-)
--
Michael McNamara
Verilog-HDL Consulting Services, Inc.

Sat, 13 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Verilog 2001 (1364-2001 IEEE Standard) Question

2. Gate level primitives in IEEE 1364 Verilog standard...

3. IEEE 1364 Verilog PLI-TSC Request for Enhancements, Errata

4. delay_or_event_control construct in IEEE 1364 Verilog

5. IEEE 1364 and Verilog-A Courses in Feb in Silicon Valley

6. Verilog HDL (IEEE PAR 1364) Working Group Meeting

7. IEEE 1364 Verilog PLI-TSC Request for Enhancements, Errata

8. 1364-95 Verilog vs Verilog-XL

9. $monitor and IEEE Std 1364

10. Q: Coding style in violation of IEEE-1364?

11. IEEE-1364

12. IEEE 1364 parser test suite?