Draft 1364 questions/corrections
Author Message
 Draft 1364 questions/corrections

Hi,

Here are some questions/corrections in 1364 Draft LRM:

1. Pg 4-1, 3rd para says "The operands of a constant expr ... , constant
   bit_selects of parameters, and constant part-selects of parameters ...".

   I am under the impression that bit-selects and part-selects of paramters
   are not allowed in 1364 since paramters do not have a range spec. If so the
   above stmt is incorrect.

2. Pg 4-1: Shouldn't parameters be in the list of "operands"?

3. Pg 4-15: About 4th para from bottom, the display of s1, s2 and "hello
world".
   The figure is incorrect. "Hello world" should be right shifted with zero
   padding on the left: that is how a comparison operation is defined for
   unequal length operands. The figure should be like:

       00000000048656c6c6f0000020776f726c6421
       0000000000000048656c6c6f20776f726c6421

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Draft 1364 questions/corrections

Thanks, Steve Meyer, for your response.

Quote:
>> I am not sure about the padding question, but the selects from parameters
>> has been involved in on going debate within the P1364 reflector for years.
>> I think all simulators implement selects from parameters because XL has
>> it and if it is not implemented, customers will send back evaluation copies
>> of your simulator saying "does not match XL".  Also at least one (maybe
>> more) of the examples in the Thomas-Moorby book require selects from
>> parameters to work and most customers start evaluations by running the
>> examples from textbooks.  But, I think the P1364 committee really does
>> not want to include it in the standard.

It appears that "in the real world" we have 3 Verilog standards:
IEEE 1364, Cadence-XL, and Thomas-Moorby book.

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Draft 1364 questions/corrections

   Thanks, Steve Meyer, for your response.

   >> I am not sure about the padding question, but the selects from parameters
   >> has been involved in on going debate within the P1364 reflector for years.
   >> I think all simulators implement selects from parameters because XL has
   >> it and if it is not implemented, customers will send back evaluation copies
   >> of your simulator saying "does not match XL".  Also at least one (maybe
   >> more) of the examples in the Thomas-Moorby book require selects from
   >> parameters to work and most customers start evaluations by running the
   >> examples from textbooks.  But, I think the P1364 committee really does
   >> not want to include it in the standard.

   It appears that "in the real world" we have 3 Verilog standards:
   IEEE 1364, Cadence-XL, and Thomas-Moorby book.

Don't forget the Synopsys subset (which supports ranges on parameters,
contrary to both 1364 and Verilog-XL)

-mac
--
Michael McNamara
Silicon Sorcery  <http://www.silicon-sorcery.com>

Sat, 07 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Draft 1364 questions/corrections

Quote:
> Don't forget the Synopsys subset (which supports ranges on parameters,
> contrary to both 1364 and Verilog-XL)

Actually, Verilog-XL will accept a range on a parameter declaration without
issuing an error or warning.  I don't know if this constitutes 'support',
however.

Paul

Sun, 08 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Draft 1364 questions/corrections

   > Don't forget the Synopsys subset (which supports ranges on parameters,
   > contrary to both 1364 and Verilog-XL)

   Actually, Verilog-XL will accept a range on a parameter declaration without
   issuing an error or warning.  I don't know if this constitutes 'support',
   however.

        The tool accepts the range, but (until perhaps recently) it
did not simulate the range.  Hence the following simulates great but
synthesizes wrong:

        parameter [2:0] STATE_A = 32;
        parameter [2:0] STATE_B = 64;

        case (state)
                STATE_A: begin
                end
                STATE_B: begin
                end
        endcase

-mac
--
Michael McNamara
Silicon Sorcery  <http://www.silicon-sorcery.com>

Sun, 08 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. This time only questions: draft 1364

2. Verilog 2001 (1364-2001 IEEE Standard) Question

3. Fonts, Draft Standard, and Report Writer (a correction/clarification)

4. 1364 defparam problems

5. IEEE 1364 Verilog PLI-TSC Request for Enhancements, Errata

6. $monitor and IEEE Std 1364

7. 1364-95 Verilog vs Verilog-XL

8. 1364-2000...

9. Gate level primitives in IEEE 1364 Verilog standard...

10. Q: Coding style in violation of IEEE-1364?

11. IEEE-1364

12. 1364: non-constant delay values