Trouble with U/I. vsim is exiting with code 18
Author Message
 Trouble with U/I. vsim is exiting with code 18

Does anybody else get the error above with Modelsim (5.4d) far too often ?

It's a right pain in the ass.

        Jon

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:00:10 GMT
 Trouble with U/I. vsim is exiting with code 18

I do too . . . it only seems to happen when the simulation is running
and you try to scroll, cut/paste, etc. in the waves window.

I always try to stop the simulator before working with the waves
window.

Pat

Quote:

> Does anybody else get the error above with Modelsim (5.4d) far too often ?

> It's a right pain in the ass.

>         Jon

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:22:48 GMT
 Trouble with U/I. vsim is exiting with code 18

Quote:

>I do too . . . it only seems to happen when the simulation is running
>and you try to scroll, cut/paste, etc. in the waves window.

>I always try to stop the simulator before working with the waves
>window.

>> Does anybody else get the error above with Modelsim (5.4d) far too often ?

>> It's a right pain in the ass.

ModelSim is a bit flaky - it will crash with no provocation.  I have yet to
have a crash under Verilog-XL or VCS.

However, there are things you can do to reduce the probability of crashing:

- Ensure that your FLI routines are perfectly coded, with no segfaults or
  memory leaks or file descriptor leaks.  ModelSim is extremely intolerant of
  bad arguments passed to its FLI functions.
- Do not have the signals or structure windows open while the simulator is
  running or restarting. It's OK to have the waveform window open.  If you
  need to use the signals or structure windows, then close them before
  rerunning the simulation.
- Do not use mixed Verilog/VHDL simulation.
- Occasionally quit and re-invoke from scratch.

If I heed the above advice, ModelSim will crash very rarely (roughly once per
24 hours of continuous use - I run jobs overnight).
--

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:56:22 GMT
 Trouble with U/I. vsim is exiting with code 18

Also holding down the mouse for more than a jiffy in the dataflow window.

It is much better these days but still not good.

Hint: checkpointing is useful, as is the -view option to vsim.

        Jon

Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:49:45 GMT

1. Trouble with U/I. vsim is exiting with code 18

2. US-NYC - VisualWorks consultant developer - 12-18 month contract - Brokerage

3. ELF-Linux, g77-0.5.18/19 and Patrick Queutey's benchmark code

4. Porting code to g77-0.5.18

5. code to exit on Exit ?

6. I am having trouble reading a time stamp on a video using OCR

7. US-IN-551-Indianapolis Div of Am Ex SmallTalk Programmer 1-2 years direct/salaried/benefits

8. US-IN-Indianapolis Div of Am Ex Smalltalk Franchise Player benefits/salaried/direct Career Position

9. Reminder: Dave Thomas to speak at OCSTUG, Sept 18

10. Smalltalk Solutions Press Release 18 April 2003

11. apl-l UseNet batch for Tue May 18 23:59:11 ADT 1993