Your vote for best verilog intro text?
Author Message
 Your vote for best verilog intro text?

I'm new to verilog and would like to pick up a solid introductory text.
Does anyone have any preferences for a best first book?  The FAQ lists
six candidates.  Comment on a book not in the list if you think it is better.
I will summarize the votes if there are any significant email responses.

Here are the ones from the FAQ:
(R1)  "THE VERILOG HARDWARE DESCRIPTION LANGUAGE", by D. Thomas and P. Moorby.
(R2)  "DIGITAL DESIGN WITH VERILOG HDL", by E. Sternheim, R. Singh
(R3)  "DIGITAL DESIGN AND SYNTHESIS WITH VERILOG HDL", by E. Sternheim,
(R4)  "QUICK REFERENCE FOR VERILOG HDL", by R. Madhavan
(R5)  "VERILOG HDL 2.0 LANGUAGE REFERENCE GUIDE", by Sutherland HDL
(R6)  "SUCCESSFUL ASIC DESIGN THE FIRST TIME THROUGH", by J. Huber

Wed, 04 Jun 1997 15:28:08 GMT
 Your vote for best verilog intro text?

Quote:
>I'm new to verilog and would like to pick up a solid introductory text.
>Does anyone have any preferences for a best first book?  The FAQ lists
>six candidates.  Comment on a book not in the list if you think it is better.
>I will summarize the votes if there are any significant email responses.

>Here are the ones from the FAQ:
>(R1)  "THE VERILOG HARDWARE DESCRIPTION LANGUAGE", by D. Thomas and P. Moorby.
>(R2)  "DIGITAL DESIGN WITH VERILOG HDL", by E. Sternheim, R. Singh
>(R3)  "DIGITAL DESIGN AND SYNTHESIS WITH VERILOG HDL", by E. Sternheim,
>(R4)  "QUICK REFERENCE FOR VERILOG HDL", by R. Madhavan
>(R5)  "VERILOG HDL 2.0 LANGUAGE REFERENCE GUIDE", by Sutherland HDL
>(R6)  "SUCCESSFUL ASIC DESIGN THE FIRST TIME THROUGH", by J. Huber

I would add the Verilog Reference manuals from Cadence. I've
found the texts cover very basic, limited scopes of the simulation
environment (language, system tasks, timing, specify blocks, command line
arguments - you get the picture). I spend about 1 hour during a
top-down design class I teach for Mot. introducing the students to the
Verilog manuals - good stuff in there. Obviously you can ignore this
message if you are using a different verilog simulator.

--

/* MOTOROLA   Strategic Semiconductor Operation, IC Technology Laboratory */
/* Mail Stop 63, 1500 Gateway Boulevard, Boynton Beach, FL 33436-8292 USA */

Sat, 07 Jun 1997 08:06:33 GMT
 Your vote for best verilog intro text?

Quote:

>Subject: Re: Your vote for best verilog intro text?
>Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 00:06:33 GMT

>>I'm new to verilog and would like to pick up a solid introductory text.
>>Does anyone have any preferences for a best first book?  The FAQ lists
>>six candidates.  Comment on a book not in the list if you think it is better.
>>I will summarize the votes if there are any significant email responses.

>>Here are the ones from the FAQ:
>>(R1)  "THE VERILOG HARDWARE DESCRIPTION LANGUAGE", by D. Thomas and P. Moorby.
>>(R2)  "DIGITAL DESIGN WITH VERILOG HDL", by E. Sternheim, R. Singh
>>(R3)  "DIGITAL DESIGN AND SYNTHESIS WITH VERILOG HDL", by E. Sternheim,
>>(R4)  "QUICK REFERENCE FOR VERILOG HDL", by R. Madhavan
>>(R5)  "VERILOG HDL 2.0 LANGUAGE REFERENCE GUIDE", by Sutherland HDL
>>(R6)  "SUCCESSFUL ASIC DESIGN THE FIRST TIME THROUGH", by J. Huber

I would say that the book "The Verilog Hardware Description Language" is the
best in terms of tutorial value.  The OVI LRM 1.0 is the definitive reference
manual (there are some feature of 2.0 that are not going to be in the IEEE
standard, so I would not rush into 2.0 as yet). I have seen the quick
references from Stu Sutherland and from InterHDL and both are good.  The book
"Disgital Design and Synthesis with Verillog HDL" (which supercedes the
pervious edition) has some good examples of how to use Verilog for certain
applications, but is really for someone who already knows Verilog.

-Elliot

Elliot Mednick                                      P.O. Box 150
Wellspring Solutions, Inc.                          Sutton, MA.  01590
                                                    (508) 865-7271

Mon, 09 Jun 1997 04:09:02 GMT

1. Wanted: Good Intro/Reference text for Smalltalk

2. Wanted: Good Intro/Reference text for Smalltalk

3. Good Intro Text for Forth

4. Intro to verilog.

5. Good intro to Windows Programming?

6. Good intro book on Smalltalk?

7. Intro Eiffel Text Book(s)

8. ANN: New Forth intro text published

9. Any good intro to Logo books?

10. Intro Modual-2 Text recommendations wanted

11. Intro Modual-2 Text recommendations wanted

12. HC 2.2 good for programming intro?