Search for synthesizable verilog code
Author Message
 Search for synthesizable verilog code

Hi:
     Is there any verilog book that offers some (more) synthesizable code?

     There are many books talk about the RISC design, but the source code
alaways
     contains some un-synthesizable code , like "initial"... etc.

     I didn't find any book that offer the complete synthesizable ASIC
source code.
     Can you give me some suggestion?
     Thank you

Mon, 14 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Search for synthesizable verilog code

Quote:

> Is there any verilog book that offers some (more) synthesizable code?
> There are many books talk about the RISC design, but the source code
> alaways contains some un-synthesizable code , like "initial"... etc.
> I didn't find any book that offer the complete synthesizable ASIC
> source code.
> Can you give me some suggestion?

I also had this problem, most books only teach you Verilog, but don't
tell you, what sort of code is good or bad for synthesis.

I can highly recommend the following book:
"Modeling, Synthesis, and Rapid Prototyping With the Verilog HDL"
from Mike D. Ciletti.
It's not only a good intro to Verilog, but also covers Verilog
for Synthesis in detail over 3 complete chapters. I have successfully
used is as course book for a synthesis course now.
Lots of examples and exercises.
It's from Prentice Hall, just search their website for it.

Lars
--
Address:  University of Mannheim; B6, 26; 68159 Mannheim, Germany
Tel:      +(49) 621 181-2716, Fax: -2713

Homepage: http://mufasa.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/lsra/persons/lars/

Mon, 14 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Search for synthesizable verilog code

Quote:

> > Is there any verilog book that offers some (more) synthesizable code?
> > There are many books talk about the RISC design, but the source code
> > alaways contains some un-synthesizable code , like "initial"... etc.
> > I didn't find any book that offer the complete synthesizable ASIC
> > source code.
> > Can you give me some suggestion?

  The only recommendable side of these books would be
  that they teach the philosophy of behavi{*filter*}modelling
  of systems. Systems are getting faster; more difficult
  to simulate. Sometimes it might be useful to model
  the behavior first. Then the non-synthesizable (i.e.
  behavioral) models might be good.

  I don't know synthesizable code methods documented around,
  but I'm sure that synthesizable code uses very small part
  of Verilog, which the authors don't want to cover. The
  essential concentration is to show the Verilog first, in
  the books. The rest is know-how. And know-how is more
  wealthy. If you know know-how then the rest is nothing
  but synthesizable Verilog coding.

  The other things related to real silicon, like synthesizability,
  low power consumption, fast speed, are actually not a Verilog
  issue. The only thing is to code it in Verilog which is
  mostly simple thing. It might be better perhaps, to look
  at design methodologies rather than synthesizable Verilog
  source codes.

  Utku

--
I feel better than James Brown.

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Search for synthesizable verilog code
HDL Chip Design, by Douglas J. Smith

Brian.

Quote:

> > > Is there any verilog book that offers some (more) synthesizable code?
> > > There are many books talk about the RISC design, but the source code
> > > alaways contains some un-synthesizable code , like "initial"... etc.
> > > I didn't find any book that offer the complete synthesizable ASIC
> > > source code.
> > > Can you give me some suggestion?

>   The only recommendable side of these books would be
>   that they teach the philosophy of behavi{*filter*}modelling
>   of systems. Systems are getting faster; more difficult
>   to simulate. Sometimes it might be useful to model
>   the behavior first. Then the non-synthesizable (i.e.
>   behavioral) models might be good.

>   I don't know synthesizable code methods documented around,
>   but I'm sure that synthesizable code uses very small part
>   of Verilog, which the authors don't want to cover. The
>   essential concentration is to show the Verilog first, in
>   the books. The rest is know-how. And know-how is more
>   wealthy. If you know know-how then the rest is nothing
>   but synthesizable Verilog coding.

>   The other things related to real silicon, like synthesizability,
>   low power consumption, fast speed, are actually not a Verilog
>   issue. The only thing is to code it in Verilog which is
>   mostly simple thing. It might be better perhaps, to look
>   at design methodologies rather than synthesizable Verilog
>   source codes.

>   Utku

> --
> I feel better than James Brown.

Sun, 20 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Search for synthesizable verilog code

Quote:
>      There are many books talk about the RISC design, but the source
> code always contains some un-synthesizable code , like "initial"...
> etc.

   The initial blocks are for functionality, if you eliminate

then the code should become synthesizable.  It's just a different,
more "real-world" way of doing things.  Generation of the reset
is what happens in all such systems.  It can be as simple as a
momentary switch or Vcc--| |--reset_pin--/\/\/\--GND.

--Jeff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help on Verilog coding ideas (converting a C-code to Verilog)

2. Verilog-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel

3. turning behavioral verilog into synthesizable

4. Synthesizable Verilog

5. manual for synthesizable subset of verilog

6. Synthesizable verilog question

7. synthesizable 16550 Verilog model

8. Two-dimensional arrays in verilog-are they synthesizable?

9. Synthesizable Verilog

10. Synthesizable Verilog Models

11. a free synthesizable processor source code

12. Non synthesizable Code