Verilog models for UARTs
Author Message
 Verilog models for UARTs

I am just starting the design for a high speed ( > 115Kb/s ) serial board.
I am looking for a UART for which a Verilog model is available.  Do
manufacturers commonly make such models available?  Any suggestions?

----
"You get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then with a kind word alone"
Remember the home hobbyist computer: Born 1975, died April 29, 1994

Wed, 28 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog models for UARTs

Quote:

> I am just starting the design for a high speed ( > 115Kb/s ) serial board.
> I am looking for a UART for which a Verilog model is available.  Do
> manufacturers commonly make such models available?  Any suggestions?

> ----
> "You get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then with a kind word alone"
> Remember the home hobbyist computer: Born 1975, died April 29, 1994

Check out 3Soft's Web page at http://www.3soft.com. They have many
UARTs. And here's some information as well.
--
Allen Watson
3Soft

3Soft MacroWare Library
-----------------------

The 3Soft MacroWare Library provides the IC designer with access to a
wide range of technology independent megafunctions. All the elements of
the library are available as synthesizable RTL in both VHDL and Verilog.
Test Vectors giving 98% Fault Cover are supplied as standard. Available
designs include the M320C50 Digital Signal Processor, M8051
Microcontroller and the M16550A UART megafunctions.

Time To Market
--------------

Each megafunction is a pre-verified design available immmediately for
incorporation in IC designs. This means the designer can achieve
significant Time to Market advantages and concentrate
his resources on adding value to the customer product.

Foundry Independence
--------------------

All megafunctions are semiconductor foundry independent which means
designs incorporating MacroWare elements can be taken to any or multiple
vendors for production of silicon.

EDA Tool Independence
---------------------

The MacroWare deliverables consist of standard VHDL and Verilog files
along with support files for most EDA Tools on the market today. Use of
the MacroWare Library can be incorporated easily into the design flow
using the files provided as standard.

Support & Maintenance
---------------------

The designs are all fully supported and maintained by 3Soft and this
reduces the cost of ownership for the customer by spreading the ongoing
cost of maintenance amongst many users.

The ongoing maintenance is used to keep the designs up to date with the
latest EDA Tools and advances in silicon technology. Customers on the
maintenance program receive the updates free of charge.

Existing Customers
------------------

Existing customers include AMD, Apple Computer, Cypress Semiconductor,
Cyrix, Ericsson, Fujitsu, Motorola, NEC, National Semiconductor, Texas
Instruments and VLSI Technology.

The Library
-----------

M320C50    Very High Performance Digital Signal Processor M82C206
Integrated Peripherals Controller
M320C25    High Performance Digital Signal Processor M82365SLPCMCIA Card
Interface Controller
M85C30     SCC enhanced Serial Communications Controllers M79C90
Ethernet LAN Controller
M82530     SCC advanced Serial Communications Controller
MFDC       High Performance PC compatible Floppy Disk Controller M53CF94
   Enhanced SCSI-II Controller
M765A      Extended Features Floppy Disk Controller core
M8052      High Performance industry compatible 8 bit Microcontroller
M8051      High Performance industry compatible 8 bit Microcontroller
M16550A    UART with FIFO
M1284      IEEE 1284 Parallel Port
M8237A     General Purpose programmable four channel DMA Controller
M8254      Extended features Programmable Interval Timer (PIT) M8042
  8 bit Peripheral Interface Microcontroller with timer
M8048      Compact Embedded industry compatible 8 bit microcontroller
M8253      General Purpose Programmable Interval Timer (PIT)
M6845      General Purpose programmable CRT Controller MPCMCIA1PCMCIA PC
Card Interface
M8251A     USART
M146818    Ultra Low Power Real Time Clock M16C450    UART (PC
compatible)
M8250B     UART (PC compatible)
M8259A     Programmable Interrupt Controller (PIC)
M8490      SCSI for 5380 compatible asynchronous SCSI interfacing MI2C
     I2C Bus Interface
MDDS24     Enhanced High Margin Floppy & Tape Data Separator M91C360
High margin Floppy & Tape Data Separator
M91C36     High margin Floppy Disk Data Separator
M8255      General Purpose Programmable Peripheral Interface
M8868A     Compact Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter (UART)
M6402      Compact Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter (UART)

Licensing
--------

The elements within the MacroWare Library are all available for
licensing on an individual basis and quotations on pricing are available
on request.

Contact Information
-------------------

3Soft is a Mentor Graphics Corporation company

Sales:

Information:

Allen Watson
US Business Development Manager
3Soft Corporation
1001 Ridder Park Drive
San Jose
CA 95131-2314
USA
Tel: (408) 451-5673
FAx: (408) 451-5690

John Harding
European Business Development Manager 3Soft UK
37 Parkfield
Chorley Wood, Herts
WD3 5AZ, England
Tel: +44-1923-285264
Fax: +44-1923-285212

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog models for UARTs

Presumably these models are encrypted (or otherwise secured) to make
it very hard to recover the original schematic. What is the typical
cost for a UART model?

UART *schematics* are also quite hard to come by, but I have found one
in an old Actel data book, and successfully used it in a Xilinx FPGA.

Peter.

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog models for UARTs

Why is the following on the sci.electronics.components ng?  It should be
on the .CAD ng.

: > I am just starting the design for a high speed ( > 115Kb/s ) serial board.
: > I am looking for a UART for which a Verilog model is available.  Do
: > manufacturers commonly make such models available?  Any suggestions?
: >
: > ----

: Check out 3Soft's Web page at http://www.3soft.com. They have many
: UARTs. And here's some information as well.
: --
: Allen Watson
: 3Soft

[pages deleted]

: Contact Information
: -------------------

: 3Soft is a Mentor Graphics Corporation company

: Sales:

: Information:

: Allen Watson
: US Business Development Manager
: 3Soft Corporation
: 1001 Ridder Park Drive
: San Jose
: CA 95131-2314
: USA
: Tel: (408) 451-5673
: FAx: (408) 451-5690

: John Harding
: European Business Development Manager 3Soft UK
: 37 Parkfield
: Chorley Wood, Herts
: WD3 5AZ, England
: Tel: +44-1923-285264
: Fax: +44-1923-285212

--
#======P=G=P==k=e=y==a=v=a=i=l=a=b=l=e==u=p=o=n==r=e=q=u=e=s=t======#

|    Rancho Santiago Community College District  |   deltanet.com   |
|     17th St at Bristol \ Santa Ana, CA 92706   | http://www.rancho|
| My opinions are my own, and not my employer's. |    .cc.ca.us     |
|   Most FAQs are available through Thomas Fine's WWW FAQ archive:  |
|http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu:80/hypertext/faq/usenet/FAQ-List.html|
|      "You can flame your brains out -- it won't take long."       |
#===T=u=z=l=a==C=o=m=p=a=n=y=.=.===t=h=r=e=e='=s==L=e==C=r=o=w=d=!==#

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog models for UARTs

Quote:

> Why is the following on the sci.electronics.components ng?  It should be
> on the .CAD ng.

> : > I am just starting the design for a high speed ( > 115Kb/s ) serial board.
> : > I am looking for a UART for which a Verilog model is available.  Do
> : > manufacturers commonly make such models available?  Any suggestions?
> : >
> : > ----

> : Check out 3Soft's Web page at http://www.3soft.com They have many
> : UARTs. And here's some information as well.
> : --

>and so on .....

Because the original question must have been posted on sci.electronics.components newgroup as well as comp.lang.verilog.

Allen watson
3Soft

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog models for UARTs

Quote:

> 3Soft MacroWare Library
> -----------------------

> The 3Soft MacroWare Library provides the IC designer with access to a
> wide range of technology independent megafunctions. All the elements of
> the library are available as synthesizable RTL in both VHDL and Verilog.
> Test Vectors giving 98% Fault Cover are supplied as standard. Available
> designs include the M320C50 Digital Signal Processor, M8051
> Microcontroller and the M16550A UART megafunctions.

Yikes.  That's a lot more than I need.  Probably a lot more than I can
afford, too.  All I need is a behavorial model I can use for board level
simulation.

----
"You get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then with a kind word alone"
Remember the home hobbyist computer: Born 1975, died April 29, 1994

Fri, 06 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog models for UARTs

said...

Quote:

>Why is the following on the sci.electronics.components ng?  It should be
>on the .CAD ng.

>: > I am just starting the design for a high speed ( > 115Kb/s ) serial board.
>: > I am looking for a UART for which a Verilog model is available.

>: Check out 3Soft's Web page at http://www.3soft.com. They have many
>: UARTs. ...

What, now a UART isn't a component?  And issues concerning these components
don't belong in sci.electronics.components?

--

The Rowland Institute for Science
100 Edwin Land Blvd.

Sat, 07 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Verilog models for UARTs

Quote:

>Yikes.  That's a lot more than I need.  Probably a lot more than I can
>afford, too.  All I need is a behavorial model I can use for board level
>simulation.

Eric,
        I tried to email this reply to your original post, but
"wolf359.exile.org" is a bogus hostname according to our nameserver.

Quote:
>I am just starting the design for a high speed ( > 115Kb/s ) serial board.
>I am looking for a UART for which a Verilog model is available.  Do
>manufacturers commonly make such models available?  Any suggestions?

There's an intel 8251 model incorporated into an example called "sio85"
distributed with Cadence verilog-XL and with the Veriwell
free-demo simulator; this is all I know of offhand.
I wish that more chip vendors would consider verilog models to be a
requirement, instead of an extra-cost item.   They wouldn't expect to
sell many chips by charging extra for the data sheet, would they?

In the past, I have handled this sort of need by writing somthing that just
models the processor bus behavior of a part.  The "uart" would just print
out messages when values were written to its registers, and would return
fixed values or sequences of values when read.
This doesn't let you verify everything, but it is a lot faster to write.
Usually it suffices to verify that the timing of processor bus to uart
transfers is correct (and that the bus interface is correct), and let the
software folks figure out what bits go in which register.

Quote:
>"You get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then with a kind word alone"
>Remember the home hobbyist computer: Born 1975, died April 29, 1994

I like it - did you originate this quote?  What's the April 29, 1994 date
refering to?  Announcement of windows 95, perhaps?

Steve

--

Who needs 3-D television when you've got live theatre? -me

Sun, 08 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. UART Verilog model

2. UART model plagarism?

3. UART model