CMM in hardware design?
Author Message
 CMM in hardware design?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone heard of CMM (Capability Maturity Model)
use in hardware design?

Best regards

Claes Martinsson

Claes Martinsson
CAD Systems Manager
Technology Management, Methods & Design Support

Ericsson Telecom AB                    Telephone: +46 8 7198272
Local Switching Systems                Telefax:   +46 8 7197787
Product Centre Support (TN/ETX/LL/AF)  ECN-number: 850-8272

SWEDEN                                 MEMO:   ERI.ETXT.ETXCLMN

Sat, 10 May 1997 20:07:32 GMT
 CMM in hardware design?

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'm wondering if anyone heard of CMM (Capability Maturity Model)
> use in hardware design?

> Best regards

> Claes Martinsson

As the lack of responses to this note indicate, knowledge of CMM in the
hardware world is probably pretty limited. For those people who are interested,
the Software Engineering Institute (SEI) proposed the Capability Maturity
Model as a model of the level of program development maturity in software
development organizations. The five levels are:

1) Initial: Until the process is under statistical control, orderly progress
in process improvement is not possible. While there are many degrees of
statistical control, the first step is to achieve redimentary predictability
of schedules and costs.

2) Repeatable: The orgainzation has chieved a stable process with a repeatable
level of statistical control by initiating rigorous project managements of
commitments, costs, schedules, and changes.

3) Defined: The organization has defined the process as a basis for consistent
implementation and better understanding. At this point advanced technology can
be usefully introduced.

4) Managed: The organization has initiated comprehensive process managements
and analysis. This i swhen the most significant quality improvements begin.

5) Optimizing: The organization now has a foundation for continuing improvement
and optimization of the process.

(Watts S. Humphrey, MANAGING THE SOFTWARE PROCESS, 1990, p. 5.)

Speaking as someone who started his career in digital design and gradually
moved into the software world, I see many parallels between the two disciplines.
I would say that most VHDL users are esssentially software developers. Their
development processes can be modelled and described with the CMM as appropriately
as any pure software organization.

For anyone who is interested, I would recomment the SEI home page.
    (http://www.sei.cmu.edu)

Regards,
Chuck
--
Chuck Matthews

                                              655F Lone Oak Drive
(612)683-5385                                 Eagan, MN  55121

Tue, 13 May 1997 20:18:02 GMT

1. CMM in hardware design?

2. basic software and hardware for designing a control system embebed ina mechanical system

3. Hardware Design Using FP

4. Functional hardware design?

5. RA in Hardware Design, Imperial College

6. Free hardware designs and tools

7. Hardware Design Engineer

8. Good Verilog book for *hardware design*?

9. Digital design/ASIC/FPGA/CAD/Hardware engineer (MSEE) looking for a new position

10. Who Cares About Recursion For Hardware Design ?

11. Toronto May 6,2003 -Training Program in Electronic Hardware Design

12. Free hardware designs and tools