X-windows on a PC?
Author Message
 X-windows on a PC?

Does anyone know of any utilities for the PC that will make the command
shell more usable? Specifically I am looking to be able to cut and paste
between windows, and have scroll bars. (X-Windows type stuff)

Anyone....?

--
Peter Landon
Digital Hardware Design

Opinions expressed are my own, not that of West End Systems.

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 X-windows on a PC?

Quote:

> Does anyone know of any utilities for the PC that will make the command
> shell more usable? Specifically I am looking to be able to cut and paste
> between windows, and have scroll bars. (X-Windows type stuff)

> Anyone....?

> --
> Peter Landon
> Digital Hardware Design
> West End Systems
> Arnprior, Ontario

> Opinions expressed are my own, not that of West End Systems.

Peter,

Check out "http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/"

You will find a variety of standard UNIX commands ported to Windows.

Regards,

John Magyar

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 X-windows on a PC?

Quote:

> Does anyone know of any utilities for the PC that will make the command
> shell more usable? Specifically I am looking to be able to cut and paste
> between windows, and have scroll bars. (X-Windows type stuff)

> Anyone....?

> --
> Peter Landon
> Digital Hardware Design
> West End Systems
> Arnprior, Ontario

> Opinions expressed are my own, not that of West End Systems.

Take a look at "Exceed" from Hummingbird Communications.  It's an
excellent complete PC X-Windows package that I've recently been using.
It's a little pricey (few hundred US dollars), but if you do a lot PC to
Unix work, I believe it's worth it.  You can do cut & paste in either
direction.

Edwin Grigorian

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 X-windows on a PC?

Quote:

> > Does anyone know of any utilities for the PC that will make the command
> > shell more usable? Specifically I am looking to be able to cut and paste
> > between windows, and have scroll bars. (X-Windows type stuff)

> Take a look at "Exceed" from Hummingbird Communications.  It's an
> excellent complete PC X-Windows package that I've recently been using.
> It's a little pricey (few hundred US dollars), but if you do a lot PC to
> Unix work, I believe it's worth it.  You can do cut & paste in either
> direction.

I agree: exceed is good but pricey.  However, you can usually get a
30-day
evaulation copy from them, so try it before you buy it.  Check their
home page:

        http://www.hummingbird.com/products/exceed/

--

Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 X-windows on a PC?

Quote:

> Does anyone know of any utilities for the PC that will make the command
> shell more usable? Specifically I am looking to be able to cut and paste

I am very pleased with linux. Red hat linux was very easy to install from
the CD and includes x-windows. All the usual cut and paste stuff works.
Its worth taking a look at www.redhat.com although there are other releases
which are probably also very good redhat is setup to be easy to setup and
many other people also use that distribution. I believe there are versions
of verilog and other hdl tools available for it. Free stuff and from
companies. I used solaris unix for the PC a year ago. I think its the only
multi-threaded version of unix for the PC but the version I used was very
buggy. more on a binary file cause the system to reboot... pretty neat.

A microsoft free PC is a good machine.
--
        ------------------------------------

        ------------------------------------

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 X-windows on a PC?

Quote:

> > Does anyone know of any utilities for the PC that will make the command
> > shell more usable? Specifically I am looking to be able to cut and paste
> > between windows, and have scroll bars. (X-Windows type stuff)

> > Anyone....?

> > --
> > Peter Landon
> > Digital Hardware Design
> > West End Systems
> > Arnprior, Ontario

> > Opinions expressed are my own, not that of West End Systems.

> Take a look at "Exceed" from Hummingbird Communications.  It's an
> excellent complete PC X-Windows package that I've recently been using.
> It's a little pricey (few hundred US dollars), but if you do a lot PC to
> Unix work, I believe it's worth it.  You can do cut & paste in either
> direction.

> Edwin Grigorian

I personally recommend NCD's PC-Xware over Hummingbird's Exceed product:
it's faster, cheaper, and X-Open compliant!

 .                             .                                   .
 .   Tom Barraza               .    Telephone: (xxx) xxx-xxxx      .
 .   Senior Systems Designer   .    FAX:       (xxx) xxx-xxxx      .

 .                             .                                   .

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 X-windows on a PC?

: Does anyone know of any utilities for the PC that will make the command
: shell more usable? Specifically I am looking to be able to cut and paste
: between windows, and have scroll bars. (X-Windows type stuff)

You can try the freee Win95 XServer MI/X
http://www.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 X-windows on a PC?

Quote:

>> Does anyone know of any utilities for the PC that will make the command
>> shell more usable?

>I am very pleased with linux.

This is the way that I have been interfacing my PC to our groups Sun
workstations. My boss was worried at first. He thought that if I was
running Linux instead of windows NT I wouldn't be able to work with
the rest of the company.

I think that my boss has been amazed at how much I can do with my Linux
box. I can access our Novell servers, use samba to share data with the
NT boxes and use wine (WINows Emulator) to look at Word 6.0 documents.

Of course, I can nfs mount drives from our Suns, display X windows and
admistor our Sun's EDA software. I have been extremely pleased.

--Celia Clause                    Celia's Verilog/EDA web page:

  (Please direct all e-mail to teleport. Jadzia is not on the net.)

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. XWINDOWS with ADA on PC

2. Using XWindows window handlers in Tk

3. Seeking GCL for {MacOS, Solaris(PC), Windows(PC)}

4. Eiffel and XWindows questions

5. XWindows and FORTH

6. XWindows, and FORTH

7. AIX vs. XWindows

8. OSF/Motif and XWindows support for Oberon-2 on VAX/VMS (H2O)

9. Preventing ved from using bold fonts under xwindows

10. X11 / XWindows in Modula-2

11. US-VA-TysonsCorner: Secret/Ada/XWindows/HPUX/-#JD-0158PM082101-0400

12. SPERC Ada Bindings to Motif/XWindows