Design Patterns for HW design ?
Author Message
 Design Patterns for HW design ?

In software there is a trend to use Design Patterns:
Standard solutions to standard problems that are well
documented.
I think that we all have similar problems for hardware
design as well. So I think that there are also
standard solutions to our problems (clock synchronization,
modular design & test, low power operation, data sampling,
etc etc).

- Who has (had) similar ideas ?
- Who started to create design patterns for HW design ?
- What were your experiences, is it as useful as I
  think it is.

Thanx in advance,

Andre Klap

PS: more on design patterns can be found in :
E. Gamma et al "Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented
Software", Addison-Wesley Publishing Company 1995.

 Philips Semiconductors          C&M/Telecom Terminals
 Gerstweg 2      6534 AE Nijmegen      The Netherlands

 Phone: (+31) 024 353 3079     Fax: (+31) 024 353 3589

Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Design Patterns for HW design ?

Quote:

> In software there is a trend to use Design Patterns:
> Standard solutions to standard problems that are well
> documented.
> I think that we all have similar problems for hardware
> design as well. So I think that there are also
> standard solutions to our problems (clock synchronization,
> modular design & test, low power operation, data sampling,
> etc etc).

> - Who has (had) similar ideas ?
> - Who started to create design patterns for HW design ?
> - What were your experiences, is it as useful as I
>   think it is.

When i first came accross Design Patterns in the Software Domain my
reaction was - much of hardware design / computer architecture is
taught this way. Most computer architecture books follow the
template of "pattern name/problem it addresses/solution/consequences"
for each sub-area such as memory sub-system etc.
[Extreme examples of this are misuse of "cookbook" style design where
 design fragments are inserted into a design without full understanding
 the consequences]

Much of engineering (civil engineering / architecture etc.) teach design
in this way and it is not coincidence that hardware design follows a
similar approach.

Software engineering as a younger discipline is catching up. The buzz in
the
software domain about Design Patterns is explained by the fact
that Program Design was not formally taught until recently (although
such books as
Elements of Programming Style addressed this issue), and Software
Architecture
is still a research topic and not a 'standard' subject.

It is interesting to note that Design Patterns has two intellectual
roots, the
work of the (building) architect Alexander - A Pattern Language, and
Kernighan and Plaugher's The Elements of Programming Style. (Elements of
Programming Style acknowledges a debt
to 'The Elements of Style' by Strunk & White which is a guide on writing
english).

--
regards,
 Ramesh

Thu, 04 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Design Patterns for HW design ?

2. Resume: HW design verification

3. HW/SW co-design

4. Resume: HW design verification

5. HW/Sw co-design

6. Hw/Sw Co-design AND C to VHDL conversion

7. Course on HW/SW Co-Design and Architectural Synthesis

8. US-TX-Dallas-Telecom HW Design FPGA

9. Design Patterns

10. Design Patterns

11. Design pattern: Slam-Dunk?