Emacs verilog mode
Author Message
 Emacs verilog mode

I am fairly new to emacs.
Whenever I type a semicolon( ; ) in my verilog code, it puts a
"new line" character automatically. How to disable this
automatic entry of new-line character?

thanks
ravi

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Emacs verilog mode
Hi Ravi,
        I am not sure which "mode file" you are using. If you are using the
one from Mac (Verisity) then have a llok at the file "verilog-mode.el"

You will see

;       verilog-auto-newline             t
;       verilog-auto-indent-on-newline   t
(defcustom verilog-auto-newline t

"t" means true, change it to "nil" and restart Emacs.

Another way to do through GUI is

On the menu bar you normally see a "special" pull down menu (if Verilog mode
is loaded) named "Verilog".

1.> Click on the Pull Down Menu Verilog
2.> Click on "Custmoize Verilog Mode..." (should be last but one option in
this menu)
3.> Then "open" the INDENT group
4.> Look for an option named "auto new line" and set this to nil.
5.> Save options..

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Srini

Quote:
> I am fairly new to emacs.
> Whenever I type a semicolon( ; ) in my verilog code, it puts a
> "new line" character automatically. How to disable this
> automatic entry of new-line character?

> thanks
> ravi

Mon, 17 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Emacs verilog mode

Quote:
>I am fairly new to emacs.
>Whenever I type a semicolon( ; ) in my verilog code, it puts a
>"new line" character automatically. How to disable this
>automatic entry of new-line character?

>thanks
>ravi

You can do it several ways. The simplest (without having to understand
and edit your .emacs) is from the 'Verilog' pull-down menu:

Verilog -> customise verilog mode -> verilog mode indent -> verilog
auto newline. Turn this option off, and make sure you turn it off for
all future sessions as well (go back to the top of the buffer where
you found 'verilog auto newline', and select 'save for future
sessions').

Evan

Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:12:52 GMT
 Emacs verilog mode

Quote:

> I am fairly new to emacs.
> Whenever I type a semicolon( ; ) in my verilog code, it puts a
> "new line" character automatically. How to disable this
> automatic entry of new-line character?

The specific response was posted.  Here's a more general answer.

emacs assigns a function to every key.  The key can be the usual
F1-F12.  It can be the emacs control keys, like C-k for kill-line.
It can even be the common a-z, 1-9 and punctuation.

The assignment can be global or local to a mode.

In your case, the designer of verilog mode thought it would be useful
to assign a function to ; to add the newline automatically.  You might
want to live with it a while.  Maybe you'll like it.

If you dont ...

Each mode has a .el (or .elc, the compiled version) file, usually
called xxx-mode.el.  Read the source to see how the assignment is
done.

The .el will be in your load path.  Type C-h v load-path to see
all the places emacs looks for .el files.

Most source has help at the beginning describing how to customize the
mode.  You might find many useful hints there.

Another way is to use M-x apropos to get help based on key words.

Yet another way is C-h k, then type the key to see what it does.

--

Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:51:45 GMT
 Emacs verilog mode

> > I am fairly new to emacs.
> > Whenever I type a semicolon( ; ) in my verilog code, it puts a
> > "new line" character automatically. How to disable this
> > automatic entry of new-line character?

> The specific response was posted.  Here's a more general answer.

> emacs assigns a function to every key.  The key can be the usual
> F1-F12.  It can be the emacs control keys, like C-k for kill-line.
> It can even be the common a-z, 1-9 and punctuation.

> The assignment can be global or local to a mode.

> In your case, the designer of verilog mode thought it would be useful
> to assign a function to ; to add the newline automatically.  You might
> want to live with it a while.  Maybe you'll like it.

> If you dont ...

> Each mode has a .el (or .elc, the compiled version) file, usually
> called xxx-mode.el.  Read the source to see how the assignment is
> done.

> The .el will be in your load path.  Type C-h v load-path to see
> all the places emacs looks for .el files.

> Most source has help at the beginning describing how to customize the
> mode.  You might find many useful hints there.

> Another way is to use M-x apropos to get help based on key words.

> Yet another way is C-h k, then type the key to see what it does.

> --

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 01:59:11 GMT
 Emacs verilog mode

Quote:

> srini et al,
>      Thanks a lot.
>       I tried most of the methods you guys said. And works!.
>       Got more than the intention of the question!!
> regards
> ravi

> > > I am fairly new to emacs.
> > > Whenever I type a semicolon( ; ) in my verilog code, it puts a
> > > "new line" character automatically. How to disable this
> > > automatic entry of new-line character?

> > The specific response was posted.  Here's a more general answer.

> > emacs assigns a function to every key.  The key can be the usual
> > F1-F12.  It can be the emacs control keys, like C-k for kill-line.
> > It can even be the common a-z, 1-9 and punctuation.

> > The assignment can be global or local to a mode.

> > In your case, the designer of verilog mode thought it would be useful
> > to assign a function to ; to add the newline automatically.  You might
> > want to live with it a while.  Maybe you'll like it.

> > If you dont ...

> > Each mode has a .el (or .elc, the compiled version) file, usually
> > called xxx-mode.el.  Read the source to see how the assignment is
> > done.

> > The .el will be in your load path.  Type C-h v load-path to see
> > all the places emacs looks for .el files.

> > Most source has help at the beginning describing how to customize the
> > mode.  You might find many useful hints there.

> > Another way is to use M-x apropos to get help based on key words.

> > Yet another way is C-h k, then type the key to see what it does.

> > --

that was a great question.  that newline after the semicolon is really
annoying, especially when adding changes to an existing file.

  jerryp.vcf
< 1K Download

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 04:48:47 GMT
 Emacs verilog mode

Quote:

> > I am fairly new to emacs.
> > Whenever I type a semicolon( ; ) in my verilog code, it puts a
> > "new line" character automatically. How to disable this
> > automatic entry of new-line character?

> The specific response was posted.  Here's a more general answer.

Ken, thanks for teach people how to fish. (i.e. "Catch a man a fish and
you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you feed him for a
lifetime.")  I'm kind of the local emacs/elisp guru, and in these days
of point-and-click and if-its-not-on-a-menu-it-doesn't-exist, we need to
propagate the knowledge or else it will be lost.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 02 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Emacs verilog mode

Quote:

> srini et al,
>      Thanks a lot.
>       I tried most of the methods you guys said. And works!.
>       Got more than the intention of the question!!
> regards
> ravi

> > > I am fairly new to emacs.
> > > Whenever I type a semicolon( ; ) in my verilog code, it puts a
> > > "new line" character automatically. How to disable this
> > > automatic entry of new-line character?

Thanks everyone for providing great support!

--

  _    //     Sr VP Technology             650-934-6888
   \  //      Verisity Design              650-934-6801 FAX

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Emacs Verilog mode & 2001

2. emacs verilog mode?

3. Extension to Emacs Verilog-Mode ?

4. Emacs verilog mode

5. Emacs verilog mode ands Silos?

6. parathesis matching in emacs-verilog mode

7. Emacs Verilog-mode problems

8. Emacs verilog mode problem

9. emacs verilog mode (or updated LSE files)

10. Emacs verilog mode part 2 of 2

11. Emacs verilog-mode part 1 of 2

12. Emacs Verilog-mode