Parameter override types
Author Message
 Parameter override types

I have a question about the rules in section 3.11.1 of Std-1364-2001 on p. 35.
Bottom bunch of paragraphs:

rule 3:
"A parameter with a type specification, but with no range specification,
shall be of the type specified.  A signed parameter shall default to the
range of the final value assigned to the parameter, after any value overrides
have been applied."

rules 5/6:
"A parameter with no range specification, and with either a signed type
specification or no type specification, shall have..."

For a declaration of the form:

parameter signed foo = ...;

is rule 3 supposed to apply, or is one of rules 5/6 supposed to apply?

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 05:10:01 GMT
 Parameter override types
Hi David,

Quote:
> I have a question about the rules in section 3.11.1 of Std-1364-2001 on p.
35.
> Bottom bunch of paragraphs:

> rule 3:
> "A parameter with a type specification, but with no range specification,
> shall be of the type specified.  A signed parameter shall default to the
> range of the final value assigned to the parameter, after any value
overrides
> have been applied."

  So essentially it says that the parameter should be able to "hold" the
FINAL value (in terms of its range/size).

Quote:
> rules 5/6:
> "A parameter with no range specification, and with either a signed type
> specification or no type specification, shall have..."

  Taking Rule 5: looks to me like it just fine tunes what Rule 3 said, i.e.
the parameter LSB will be 0, MSB = final_value's size-1
  Taking Rule 6: if the final value is unsized, then the minimus guaranteed
range is 31:0, is what I understand.

So, I think 3 & 5  or 3 & 6 will be applicable.

Did I miss some thing?

Thanks,
Srinivasan

Quote:
> For a declaration of the form:

> parameter signed foo = ...;

> is rule 3 supposed to apply, or is one of rules 5/6 supposed to apply?

> --

Srinivasan Venkataramanan
Senior Verification Engineer
Software & Silicon Systems India Pvt Ltd. - an Intel company
Bangalore, India

http://www.noveldv.com http://www.deeps.org

I don't speak for Intel

Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:11:37 GMT

1. Overriding Parameters In a Verilog Task or Function

2. Question : Override a PARAMETER statement ?

3. Access types vs. Record types as procedure parameters

4. newbie - type override warnings

5. Overriding Primitive Operators of a Type

6. Overriding Primitive Oerators of a Type

7. APP Open error 11: Parameter typing error

8. ole automation error parameter 1 type mismatch

9. Unknown Error Posted:6:Parameter Typing Error

10. Unknown Error Posted: 10: Parameter typing error

11. Unknown error: 6: Parameter typing error?

12. CW2.0 error 10: Parameter typing error