Audio/DSP in scheme
Author Message
 Audio/DSP in scheme

Is there any way to get audio in and out of scheme, on any platform?  I
have checked the major repositories, and searched the web to no avail.
Has any work been done in this area?  It seems like scheme would be an
excellent language for DSP, except for speed issues.  If anyone knows of
resources, please let me know.  Thanks.

Elias

Sun, 28 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Audio/DSP in scheme

Quote:

>Is there any way to get audio in and out of scheme, on any platform?  I

On Unix systems, you can use the freely available "sox" program to
convert audio files to/from a textual format which should be readable
by Scheme's read primitive (and writable by display).

The sox manual page says this about the textual format it supports:

       .dat      Text Data files
                 These files contain a textual representation  of
                 the  sample  data.   There  is  one  line at the
                 beginning that contains the sample rate.  Subse-
                 quent  lines contain two numeric data items: the
                 time since the beginning of the sample  and  the
                 sample value.  Values are normalized so that the
                 maximum and minimum are 1.00  and  -1.00.   This
                 file format can be used to create data files for
                 external programs such as FFT analyzers or graph
                 routines.   SOX  can also convert a file in this
                 format back into one of the other file  formats.

You should probably use this through pipes, so that you don't need to
create large text-format copies of your sound files.

Sox is also called ST (Sound Tools), and it should be available here:
<URL:http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/cbagwell/projects.html>
It also comes with most Linux distributions.

--

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Audio/DSP in scheme

Quote:

> Is there any way to get audio in and out of scheme, on any platform?  I
> have checked the major repositories, and searched the web to no avail.
> Has any work been done in this area?  It seems like scheme would be an
> excellent language for DSP, except for speed issues.  If anyone knows of
> resources, please let me know.  Thanks.

> Elias

Edinburgh Centre for Speech Technology Research has Festival

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

this is a speech synthesis system (with ample audio facilities)
with a Scheme system at  it's heart.

Tue, 30 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Audio DSP hardware job opening in Sony in Silicon Valley

2. Exciting Jobs in DSP (sw, vlsi, dsp)

3. Exciting jobs in DSP (sw, hw, vlsi, dsp)

4. Exciting Jobs in DSP (sw, vlsi, dsp)

5. Exciting jobs in DSP (sw, hw, vlsi, dsp)

6. Help w/ Scheme & Audio

7. RFI: DSP

8. Interest for Dictionay listing in DSP ??

9. DSP Freeware: Forgot the WINDSP.REG Attachment

10. DSP Color printing - Bug found

11. DSP and colorprinting - A question from the developer

12. DSP Forth