Dumbing down....
Author Message
 Dumbing down....

This is the post I meant:

Quote:

>Hello,

>   I have been working in the American software industry
>for 20+ years. One book I have come to admire greatly is
>"The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs"
>by Abelson, Sussman, & Sussman or better known to the
>initiated simply as SICP!!! This book is like an onion.
>Each time you read it you peel off another layer. This
>is my third time around!!!

Especially regarding the following:

Quote:

>   I think it is a great pity that the academic world seems
>to have caved into the  pragmatism dictated by industry and teaches
>courses on C++, Java,
>etc. I'm not sure  how to counteract this trend.

As I read it, the poster laments the fact that the academic world teaches
C++ and Java due to the "pragmatism dictated by industry", and furthermore
wonders how to "counteract this trend."  Maybe I'm reading too much into it,
but it sounds like he thinks C++ and Java should not be taught.  If I
understand his meaning correctly, I disagree.  If I misunderstand, I apologize.

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dumbing down....

Quote:

>This is the post I meant:

>>   I think it is a great pity that the academic world seems
>>to have caved into the  pragmatism dictated by industry and teaches
>>courses on C++, Java,
>>etc. I'm not sure  how to counteract this trend.

>As I read it, the poster laments the fact that the academic world teaches
>C++ and Java due to the "pragmatism dictated by industry", and furthermore
>wonders how to "counteract this trend."  Maybe I'm reading too much into it,
>but it sounds like he thinks C++ and Java should not be taught.

I think you're reading too much into it. Also, if I recall correctly, the
writer in question seems not to be a native English speaker, and therefore
may not always say exactly what he means. (I'm a native English speaker,
and I don't always succeed in expressing myself perfectly in English
either.) I read the message as a complaint that schools allow students to
get away with studying ONLY the languages they want to. I think this
interpretation has been validated by the subsequent discussion.

Craig

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dumbing down....

Quote:

>>   I think it is a great pity that the academic world seems
>>to have caved into the  pragmatism dictated by industry and teaches
>>courses on C++, Java,
>>etc. I'm not sure  how to counteract this trend.

>As I read it, the poster laments the fact that the academic world teaches
>C++ and Java due to the "pragmatism dictated by industry", and furthermore
>wonders how to "counteract this trend."  Maybe I'm reading too much into it,
>but it sounds like he thinks C++ and Java should not be taught.

I don't want to guess at what someone else meant, but if *I* had said that,
I would mean two things:

1.  It's a shame if a degree-granting Computer Science faculty teaches
courses named after programming languages, no matter what languages they
are.  This puts the focus on notation instead of on the big ideas that
transcend the choice of language.

2.  It's a shame if the core Computer Science curriculum is taught *only*
in sequential-paradigm languages just because they're popular.  Students
should work in a variety of paradigms, and not just in an upper-division
elective course, so that they know what a paradigm is and will be ready
when the next one comes along.

Tue, 19 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dumbing down...

2. Dumbing Down Scripts to Remove TclX

3. SICP & the Dumbing Down of American Comp Sci

4. SICP & the Dumbing Down of American Comp Sci

5. SICP & Dumbing Down Part II (was God CS Books)

6. SICP & the Dumbing Down of American Comp Sci

7. SICP & the Dumbing Down of American Comp Sci

8. SICP & the Dumbing Down of American Comp Sci

9. SICP & the Dumbing Down of American Comp Sci

10. SICP and the dumbing...

11. Windows can't shut down my application when shutting down

12. Whoa calm down calm down