MIT Scheme (6.001) and Escher
Author Message
 MIT Scheme (6.001) and Escher

Some questions about the MIT Scheme distribution (Win32):

Is it correct that part of the MIT Scheme/6.001 package has some
routines available for producing "Escheresque" graphics?
And would these programs somehow be available to anyone who is not an
MIT associate or student? (Perhaps some other packages are available,
too?)

Further,  have also found that my MIT Scheme for win32 download, will
not open a graphics device (I think something was left out in the
build).  Before I start thinking of rebuilds, has anyone else
experienced that?

Finally, can anyone tell me what the *.pgm file in the abovementioned
distribution are?  They are found in the MITScheme/lib/6001/images
drawer.  I suppose they are graphics, all the files are 17k, but how can
they be accessed.

Thanks for any help

Alex Gian
Bristol, UK

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MIT Scheme (6.001) and Escher
Thanks to those who sent me personal e-mail in reply.

In order to avoid misunderstanding with any future readers, I'd like to make
a couple of points:

1) I did not mean to imply that MITScheme may have "Escheresque"
primitives.....!
I was under the impression that the MIT course 6.001 included some example
code for Escher type graphics, and I wondered if this was generally
available. In fact any example code for that kind of thing, including CL,
other LISP, even LOGO would be welcome.
I know Abelson and Sussman had done a small article on creating graphics
like Escher's "Square Limit" woodcut, using stratified
design, in Byte magazine, February 1988!  I thought someone may have
expanded on this. What I was really looking for was some Scheme code for
mapping vector graphics in non-Euclidean geometry.

2) My copy of MITScheme for win32 (7.5a microcode 11.159) does not seem to
have full graphics functionality (tested on both w98 and NT).
Specifically,  "enumerate-graphics-device-types" and "load-bitmap" are
reported as unbound variables.  Has anyone else seen this?
(However, I can now open a graphics device).

Thanks

Alex Gian
Bristol - UK

Quote:

> Some questions about the MIT Scheme distribution (Win32):

> Is it correct that part of the MIT Scheme/6.001 package has some
> routines available for producing "Escheresque" graphics?
> And would these programs somehow be available to anyone who is not an
> MIT associate or student? (Perhaps some other packages are available,
> too?)

> Further,  have also found that my MIT Scheme for win32 download, will
> not open a graphics device (I think something was left out in the
> build).  Before I start thinking of rebuilds, has anyone else
> experienced that?

> Finally, can anyone tell me what the *.pgm file in the abovementioned
> distribution are?  They are found in the MITScheme/lib/6001/images
> drawer.  I suppose they are graphics, all the files are 17k, but how can
> they be accessed.

> Thanks for any help

> Alex Gian
> Bristol, UK

Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for uncorrupted PC Scheme and help with MIT Scheme 6.001

2. MIT's 6.001 scheme for Windows machines

3. Arithmetic shift in MIT 6.001 scheme?

4. Postscript Chipmunk Emulator for MIT 6.001

5. MIT Scheme 7.5a and MIT Scheme 7.4.2

6. how to get the 6.001 tapes

7. Need comparison between Bigloo scheme, MIT-sheme,PLT-scheme

8. TI Scheme functions for MIT C-Scheme - 3 of 3

9. TI Scheme functions for MIT C-Scheme - 2 of 3

10. TI Scheme functions for MIT C-Scheme - 1 of 3

11. Need comparison between Bigloo scheme, MIT-sheme,PLT-scheme

12. book for MIT scheme?