parallel functional programming
Author Message
 parallel functional programming

Quote:

>...Abelson and Sussman made
>a suggestion that parallel programming might benefit from functional
>approach and especially from delayed evaluation which is at the basis
>of "streaming"...

>Has much happened since then, especially in the Lisp and Scheme world?

I can't speak for Lisp/Scheme, but you could have a look at the work of the
SISAL (Streams and Iterations in a Single Assignment Language) project; I
would suggest "A Report on the Sisal Language Project", from the Journal of
Parallel and Distributed Computing, Vol 10, pp 349-366, or "The Optimizing
SISAL Compiler: Version 12.0", UCRL-MA-110080, Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory, April 1992.

Cheers,

      Gregory V. Wilson        || Computing and Information Science

Fri, 04 Aug 1995 07:26:03 GMT
 parallel functional programming
In their book about "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs"
in chapter 3 (section about "streams") Abelson and Sussmans made
a suggestion that parallel programming might benefit from functional
approach and especially from delayed evaluation which is at the basis
of "streaming" (in Common Lisp "streams" are implemented as "series",
the name "streams" is already used for files, pipes, and such). The idea
was supported also by Backus and others.

Has much happened since then, especially in the Lisp and Scheme world?
I have some information about these things, but it's all either ML
or Erlang or Facile or even more {*filter*} systems. It would be nice
if these things could be done within either CL or Scheme.
--

   Automated Reasoning Program - CISR, and Plasma Theory Group - RSPhysS,
   The Australian National University, G.P.O. Box 4, Canberra, A.C.T., 2601,

Fri, 04 Aug 1995 06:58:09 GMT

1. Parallel Functional Programming book

2. PhD Studentship: Parallel Functional Programming

3. Parallel Functional Programming Bibliography (2nd ed)

4. Parallel Functional Programming Bibliography

5. The History of Parallel Functional Programming

6. summary on developing functional parallel program

7. Develop parallel program by functional approach

8. functional.py 0.6 - Functional Programming in Python

9. functional.py 0.7 - Functional programming in Python

10. functional.py - functional programming in Python

11. functional.py 0.7 - Functional programming in Python

12. functional.py 0.6 - Functional Programming in Python