Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?
Author Message
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a commercial
product.  The catch is that it needs to be buildable on Windows NT, IBM OS/390
UNIX, and (eventually) on other versions of Unix.

I've been poking around a bit and the options seem to be:

XLisp
        + portable (Win32 and OS/390 ports current)
        - non-commercial use only

SIOD
        + portable (OS/390 unknown)
        + very small
        - unreadable code (sorry... :)

SCM     (derived from SIOD)
        + portable (Win32 port rusty, OS/390 unknown)
        + much work on performance (for an interpreter)
        + quite a lot added from SIOD origin

Guile   (derived from SCM)
        + intended as embeddable
        - no Win32 port (OS/390 unknown)

There are (of course) quite a few Lisp and Scheme implementations.
Most have seen narrow use and/or can be built on few platforms.

So are the above the only practical alternatives, or are there others?

--
Preston L. Bannister

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

>I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a
commercial
>product.  The catch is that it needs to be buildable on Windows NT, IBM
OS/390
>UNIX, and (eventually) on other versions of Unix.

The ultimate in cross-platform embeddable LISP is the Kawa version of
Scheme for the Java VM:
<http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner/kawa.html>

jim
James P. White             Netscape DevEdge Champion for IFC
IFC Exchange  -  Insanely great Java  -  http://www.ifcx.org

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:
>I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a commercial
>product.  The catch is that it needs to be buildable on Windows NT, IBM OS/390
>UNIX, and (eventually) on other versions of Unix.
>Guile   (derived from SCM)
>        + intended as embeddable
>        - no Win32 port (OS/390 unknown)

Guile is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)
(http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html). While this doesn't mean you can't
use it in a commercial settings (see
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/philosophy.html), it does mean you'll have to
release any product embedding it under the GPL (thus making the source code
available to your customers). See http://www.opensource.org/ for information
on business models for Open Source software.

Are you sure about the lack of a Win32 port? It should be fairly easy to do
using cygwin (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/).

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

>I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a commercial
>product.  The catch is that it needs to be buildable on Windows NT, IBM OS/390
>UNIX, and (eventually) on other versions of Unix.

Quote:

>The ultimate in cross-platform embeddable LISP is the Kawa version of
>Scheme for the Java VM:
><http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner/kawa.html>

This must be a use of the word "ultimate" with which I was not familiar... :)

I'd have to embed (or link to) a Java interpreter to run Kawa (if possible).
It certainly flunks the "small" portion of the requirements :).

--
Preston L. Bannister

http://members.home.com/preston

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

> Guile   (derived from SCM)
>         + intended as embeddable
>         - no Win32 port (OS/390 unknown)

Guile builds on NT with cygwin32 tools installed.
In any case it is not that small.

Quote:
> There are (of course) quite a few Lisp and Scheme implementations.
> Most have seen narrow use and/or can be built on few platforms.

> So are the above the only practical alternatives, or are there others?

elk
kawa (runs on a java vm)
--
Klaus Schilling

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

> Guile is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)
> (http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html). While this doesn't mean you can't
> use it in a commercial settings (see
> http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/philosophy.html), it does mean you'll have to
> release any product embedding it under the GPL (thus making the source code
> available to your customers). See http://www.opensource.org/ for information
> on business models for Open Source software.

Guile's license is not strict GNU GPL, it provides a scapehole.
--
Klaus Schilling

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

> I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a commercial

I'd like one which is really `embeddable' and ROMable, with ports to raw m68k
and DSPs, supporting interrupts, small on-chip memories, overlays to swap code out

to slow off-chip memory, etc.

And standard. No hacked dialects like XLISP.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

>> Guile is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)
>Guile's license is not strict GNU GPL, it provides a scapehole.

It does indeed. Thanks to Richard Frith-Macdonald for filling me in with the
details. I was mislead by Debian's /usr/doc/libguile4/copyright which claims
it's plain GPL. I've just filed a bug report to get this corrected.

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

>I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a commercial
>product.  The catch is that it needs to be buildable on Windows NT, IBM
OS/390
>UNIX, and (eventually) on other versions of Unix.

>I've been poking around a bit and the options seem to be:

>XLisp
>        + portable (Win32 and OS/390 ports current)
>        - non-commercial use only

XLisp is marked as for non-commercial use only but all that really means is
that
I want to know about any commercial applications. I usually ask that some
credit
be given to XLisp in the documentation and that my copyright notice be
included
along with the copyright notice for the application. I also ask for a copy
of the
finished application so I can see how XLisp is being used.

David Betz

P.S. XLisp 3.0 is based on Scheme and is a superset of R3RS. Earlier
versions
and ones from Tom Almy continue to be based on Common Lisp.

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:
> I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a commercial
> product.  The catch is that it needs to be buildable on Windows NT, IBM
> OS/390 UNIX, and (eventually) on other versions of Unix.

What do you mean by 'small'?  The Scheme interpreters I use want about
three megabytes of memory just to start up.  Is that an acceptable size?

--lars

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

>> I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a commercial
>> product.  The catch is that it needs to be buildable on Windows NT, IBM
>> OS/390 UNIX, and (eventually) on other versions of Unix.

>What do you mean by 'small'?  The Scheme interpreters I use want about
>three megabytes of memory just to start up.  Is that an acceptable size?

It's not a big problem, but that would at least double initial memory use.

The notion is to add an extension language to text processing tool.
Most customers would probably never make of the interpreter,

--
Preston L. Bannister

http://members.home.com/preston

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

>XLisp is marked as for non-commercial use only but all that really means
>is that I want to know about any commercial applications.
>I usually ask that some credit be given to XLisp in the documentation
>and that my copyright notice be included along with the copyright notice
>for the application.
>I also ask for a copy of the finished application so I can see how XLisp
>is being used.

None of the above is a problem.

Quote:
>P.S. XLisp 3.0 is based on Scheme and is a superset of R3RS.
>Earlier versions and ones from Tom Almy continue to be based on Common Lisp.

For the record, Tom Almy is calling his current version XLISP-PLUS 3.04.
Maybe he should call it XLisp-Classic :).

Tradeoffs appear to be that XLisp-Plus is known to port readily to OS/390,
and that the new XLisp uses a byte code interpreter.

--
Preston L. Bannister

http://members.home.com/preston

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

...deleted
> > So are the above the only practical alternatives, or are there others?

> elk
> kawa (runs on a java vm)

Is there something smaller than siod?

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

> >> I'm looking for a small Lisp or Scheme interpreter to embed in a commercial
> >> product.  The catch is that it needs to be buildable on Windows NT, IBM
> >> OS/390 UNIX, and (eventually) on other versions of Unix.

> >What do you mean by 'small'?  The Scheme interpreters I use want about
> >three megabytes of memory just to start up.  Is that an acceptable size?

You might have a look at the scheme implementation that runs on palm
pilots.  Surely, it would need to be modified, and it is not open
source software, but I would assume that it runs in a pretty small
footprint.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/9981/lm_index.htm

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton               |   Fortune rota volvitur - descendo minoratus

http://www.efn.org/~davidw    |        rex sedet in vertice - caveat ruinam!
www.debian.org - www.prosa.it |        nam sub axe legimus - Hecubam reginam

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

Quote:

> >The ultimate in cross-platform embeddable LISP is the Kawa version of
> >Scheme for the Java VM:
> ><http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner/kawa.html>

> This must be a use of the word "ultimate" with which I was not familiar... :)

Ul-ti-mate (n): The last place you get to, the end of a long road,
where you have to stop.

Quote:
> I'd have to embed (or link to) a Java interpreter to run Kawa (if possible).
> It certainly flunks the "small" portion of the requirements :).

Well, it's easy to make a small programm if you put it on a big enough
platform.

--
     --Keith

This mail message sent by GNU emacs and Linux.
Food, Shelter, Source code.

Wed, 22 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Small embeddable Lisp or Scheme interpreter?

2. small, free Lisp/Scheme interpreter for PC?

3. small, free Lisp/Scheme interpreter for PC?

4. advice on small embeddable scheme

5. advice on small embeddable scheme

6. Embeddable lisp interpreters

7. small scheme interpreter pointers wanted

8. Scm an interpreter for small scheme programs !???

9. small scheme interpreters with parallel constructs

10. A small scheme interpreter and pratt parser.

11. Implementation of a small Lisp interpreter

12. A very small lisp interpreter