jacal1a4 symbolic math system available
Author Message
 jacal1a4 symbolic math system available

This message announces the availability of JACAL release jacal1a4.

New in jacal1a4 are:

        * jacal.texi (Top): Much cleaned up and expanded.  Now prints
        correctly and has indexes.

        * Makefile (intro): Added message for those who just make.
        (jacal): makes SCM startup script for JACAL.
        Cleaned up and reorganized Makefile.

JACAL is a symbolic mathematics system for the simplification and
manipulation of equations and single and multiple valued algebraic
expressions constructed of numbers, variables, radicals, and algebraic
functions, differential, and holonomic functions.  In addition,
vectors and matrices of the above objects are included.

JACAL is written in Scheme.  A version of Scheme (IEEE P1178 and R4RS
compliant) written in C is available with JACAL.  SCM runs on Amiga,
Atari-ST, MacOS, MS-DOS, OS/2, NOS/VE, Unicos, VMS, Unix and similar
systems.

JACAL source is available via FTP (detailed instructions follow) from:
altdorf.ai.mit.edu:archive/scm/jacal1a4.tar.gz
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/jacal/jacal1a4.tar.gz
ftp.maths.tcd.ie:pub/bosullvn/jacal/jacal1a4.tar.gz
ftp.cs.indiana.edu:/pub/scheme-repository/scm/jacal1a4.tar.gz

SLIB is a portable scheme library which JACAL requires:
altdorf.ai.mit.edu:archive/scm/slib2a1.tar.gz
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/jacal/slib2a1.tar.gz
ftp.maths.tcd.ie:pub/bosullvn/jacal/slib2a1.tar.gz
ftp.cs.indiana.edu:/pub/scheme-repository/imp/slib2a1.tar.gz

SCM is a small Scheme implementation under which JACAL will run.
altdorf.ai.mit.edu:archive/scm/scm4e1.tar.gz
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/jacal/scm4e1.tar.gz
ftp.maths.tcd.ie:pub/bosullvn/jacal/scm4e1.tar.gz
ftp.cs.indiana.edu:/pub/scheme-repository/imp/scm4e1.tar.gz

Programs for printing and viewing TexInfo documentation (which JACAL
has) come with GNU Emacs or can be obtained via ftp from:
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/texinfo-3.1.tar.gz

Files in these directories are compressed with patent-free gzip (no
relation to zip).  The program to uncompress them is available from
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/gzip-1.2.4.tar
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/gzip-1.2.4.shar
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/gzip-1.2.4.msdos.exe

  ftp altdorf.ai.mit.edu [18.43.0.152] (anonymous)
  bin
  cd archive/scm
  get jacal1a4.tar.gz
  get slib2a1.tar.gz
  get scm4e1.tar.gz
or
  ftp prep.ai.mit.edu (anonymous)
  bin
  cd pub/gnu/jacal
  get jacal1a4.tar.gz
  get slib2a1.tar.gz
  get scm4e1.tar.gz

`jacal1a4.tar.gz' is a compressed tar file of the JACAL Scheme code.
`slib2a1.tar.gz' is a compressed tar file of a Scheme Library.
`scm4e1.tar.gz' is a compressed tar file of the C code distribution.

Remember to use binary mode when transferring the files.
Be sure to get and read the GNU General Public License (COPYING).
It is included in scm4e1.tar.gz and jacal1a4.tar.gz.

To receive an IBM PC floppy disk with the documentation, source, and
executable files, send $99.00 to: Aubrey Jaffer, 84 Pleasant St.,
Wakefield MA 01880 USA.

If you like JACAL you can support the developement and maintainence of
it by buying a disk from me or by sending money to the above address.

Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:32:59 GMT
 jacal1a4 symbolic math system available
JACAL just fits in a stripped down SCM (compiled with Borland C 3.1)
in 600k of free conventional memory on MSDOS 6.2.  Jacal is going to
be getting bigger.

If someone cares about running JACAL on 16 bit x86 processors you need
to volunteer to do the shoehorning or the next JACAL will be 32 bit
only.

Wed, 16 Oct 1996 07:24:52 GMT
 jacal1a4 symbolic math system available

Quote:

>JACAL just fits in a stripped down SCM (compiled with Borland C 3.1)
>in 600k of free conventional memory on MSDOS 6.2.  Jacal is going to
>be getting bigger.
>If someone cares about running JACAL on 16 bit x86 processors you need
>to volunteer to do the shoehorning or the next JACAL will be 32 bit
>only.

Alternatively, someone could hack SCM to use extended memory.
(And on the way hack it to switch continuations via the stack segment.)

--

Lance Norskog

Artisputtingtogether. Art  s th ow n  aw y.

Sat, 19 Oct 1996 03:51:46 GMT

1. jacal1a3 Symbolic Math release available.

2. jacal1a9 (Symbolic Math System) released.

3. jacal1a8 symbolic math system release

4. jacal1a7 symbolic math system released

5. Symbolic Math/Functions in Smalltalk

6. Reverse-polish-fot[h]ified Maplism (RPN symbolic math Q)

7. Suitability of Haskell for Symbolic Math Interpreter?

8. CALL FOR DISCUSSION: comp.lang.math.symbolic

9. jacal1a6 symbolic math program released

10. easy symbolic math code.

11. simple symbolic math in Python

12. Pythonica (symbolic math program)]