Which programming environment I should use?
Author Message
 Which programming environment I should use?

Hi,

I just began learning Scheme.
What is the best (free...) available programming environment for Windows
95/98?

Thanks.

Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Which programming environment I should use?
On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:15:07 +0200, "Tsachi Weiss"

Quote:

>Hi,

>I just began learning Scheme.
>What is the best (free...) available programming environment for Windows
>95/98?

DRScheme from Rice.edu

//      Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
//      frr at mindless dot com

Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Which programming environment I should use?

Quote:

> DRScheme from Rice.edu

here's the homepage for DrScheme:
http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/drscheme/

--
-> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- <  Rahul -=- Jain  > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- <-
-> "I never could get the hang of Thursdays." -Douglas N. Adams <-

    Version 9.105.999.1111111111111.23.042
    (c)1996-1998, All rights reserved.
    Disclaimer available upon request.

Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Which programming environment I should use?

Quote:

>> DRScheme from Rice.edu

>here's the homepage for DrScheme:
>http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/drscheme/

It's excellent, and their "How to Write Programs" also looks like a
good way to learn programming and Scheme.  However, if you are using
another book or course, you need to set the language level to DrScheme
or MzScheme.

You might want to check www.schemers.org for more implementations,
such as MIT Scheme.

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Which programming environment I should use?

Quote:

> >here's the homepage for DrScheme:
> >http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/drscheme/

> It's excellent, and their "How to Write Programs" also looks like a
> good way to learn programming and Scheme.  However, if you are using
> another book or course, you need to set the language level to DrScheme
> or MzScheme.

[I believe you mean "MrEd" in your last sentence, not "DrScheme".
Also, the text is called "How to Design Programs".]

*Need* to?  I'm not so sure.  My hunch is that many texts do NOT need
the *most* advanced language levels.  From what I can tell, many users
start at the most advanced level because their course comes with a
library or two which exploits the full language, and they load this
library with "load".  (I understand there are other reasons also, but
it's worthwhile for teachers to determine what the lowest level they
can use is, for the benefit of their students.)

There is actually a much better solution in DrScheme, designed
specifically for this purpose: the teaching libraries, soon to be
renamed "Teachpacks".  A Teachpack is loaded once at start-up, invoked
automatically each time you click Execute, and can be written in full
Scheme irrespective of the student's chosen language level in the
REPL.  We've always had this feature, but did a poor job of explaining
it.  "How to Design Programs" comes with several Teachpacks, and I
know at least one other author (Max Hailperin) writes them too.

The next version, due out in a few weeks, will

- provide more rational names for the languages

- come with a guide to the environment's features

'shriram

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Which programming environment I should use?

> There is actually a much better solution in DrScheme, designed
> specifically for this purpose: the teaching libraries, soon to be
> renamed "Teachpacks".  ...
> We've always had this feature, but did a poor job of explaining
> it.  "How to Design Programs" comes with several Teachpacks, and I
> know at least one other author (Max Hailperin) writes them too....

That much is true: we do distribute DrScheme libraries (as well as a
DrScheme tool) for use with out textbook (Concrete Abstractions: An
Introduction to Computer Science Using Scheme).

However, none the less we've found it necessary to recommend students
using our textbook set their language setting to a high level (we
recommend MrEd Debug).  There are just too many places, even in the
early chapters, where we assumed the Scheme programming language was
as specified in the R4RS.  As a textbook author and instructor, I
would have to side with Donald Welsh, who you were rebutting: those
using textbooks other than the Rice one are unlikely to be able to use
the lower language levels.

 -Max Hailperin
  Associate Professor of Computer Science
  Gustavus Adolphus College
  800 W. College Ave.
  St. Peter, MN 56082
  USA
  http://www.gustavus.edu/~max/

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to Program a Programming Environment?

2. Using dos/windows environment variables in gawk script

3. using rsh to read remote environment variables

4. Workshop: Using OOP in the Commercial Environment

5. How to read environment variables using aix and rexx

6. Using an environment variable to specify a command file to run

7. Using environment variables (unix) in modula2

8. Free web development environment using ruby.

9. using RDTSC in preemptive multitasking environments

10. Abend handling using Language Environment

11. Using an environment variable

12. Compiling DVF and using environment variables