 Compling Scheme to native code?

Hello All,

Any pointers?

Thanks.

(lambda (msg)
  (case msg
        ((name)         "Miki Tebeka")

        ((homepage)     " http://www.*-*-*.com/ ")
        ((quote)        "Smile, damn it, smile")))

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?
Check the papers section at http://www.shemers.org

I seen to recall there are several on code generation from scheme.

Martin Bertolino

Quote:
> Hello All,

> Any pointers?

> Thanks.

> (lambda (msg)
>   (case msg
> ((name) "Miki Tebeka")

> ((homepage) "http://www.tebeka.freeservers.com")
> ((quote) "Smile, damn it, smile")))

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?

Quote:
> Any pointers?

Kawa (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/) compiles to Java bytecodes,
and there are various tools (Gcj, Toba, ...) that compile Java
bytecodes to native code.

Most high-performance Java "interpreters" actually contain a
"Just-In-Time" compiler (JIT) - i.e. a native code compiler hidden
inside the run-time.  Scheme code compiled by Kawa will of course
run just fine under a "Java" JIT, as it should for any ahead-of-time
compiler that can read Java bytecodes.
--
        --Per Bothner

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?

Quote:

> Hello All,

> Any pointers?

> Thanks.

Larceny is a Scheme system that has a Sparc native back end and a
reasonably sophisticated compiler (Twobit) at the front end.

The current release is at http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/will/Larceny.
(A new release is due any millennium now.)

--lars

Mon, 20 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?

Quote:

>> Hello All,

>> Any pointers?

>> Thanks.

>Larceny is a Scheme system that has a Sparc native back end and a
>reasonably sophisticated compiler (Twobit) at the front end.

>The current release is at http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/will/Larceny.
>(A new release is due any millennium now.)

>--lars

So it can only be used on a Sparc, is that right ?

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?

Quote:

> >Larceny is a Scheme system that has a Sparc native back end and a
> >reasonably sophisticated compiler (Twobit) at the front end.

> >The current release is at http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/will/Larceny.
> >(A new release is due any millennium now.)

> >--lars

> So it can only be used on a Sparc, is that right ?

For the time being, yes.

--lars

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?

Quote:

> Any pointers?

Stalin does an excellent job of compiling a lot of Scheme programs to native
code:

http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/qobi/software.html

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?

Quote:
> Stalin does an excellent job of compiling a lot of Scheme programs
> to native code:

Does it ever!

I still don't use Stalin regularly because I haven't quite figured out
how to fit it into my development paradigm, but the benchmarks and
trivial code I have compiled with it produce the most fascinating
results.  Just knowing that Stalin exists makes me happy.

Bill Gribble

Mon, 27 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?
Has anyone compiled Stalin under FreeBSD?  Any hints?

$ ./build
[...]
^^^^Starting command^^^^
gc.a(mach_dep.o): In function `GC_push_regs':
mach_dep.o(.text+0x5): undefined reference to `_GC_push_one'
mach_dep.o(.text+0xe): undefined reference to `_GC_push_one'
mach_dep.o(.text+0x17): undefined reference to `_GC_push_one'
mach_dep.o(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `_GC_push_one'
mach_dep.o(.text+0x29): undefined reference to `_GC_push_one'
gc.a(mach_dep.o)(.text+0x32): more undefined references to
`_GC_push_one' follow
*** Error code 1

Stop.
xlib-c.c:2: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
xlib-c.c:3: X11/Xutil.h: No such file or directory
/usr/libexec/elf/ar: xlib-c.o: No such file or directory
rm: xlib-c.o: No such file or directory
gcc -o stalin -I./include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer stalin.c -L./include
-lm -lgc
stalin.c:4: alloca.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tue, 28 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?
The link seems to be broken at the moment.
Janos Blazi

Quote:

> > Any pointers?

> Stalin does an excellent job of compiling a lot of Scheme programs to
native
> code:

> http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/qobi/software.html

Wed, 29 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?

Quote:

> The link seems to be broken at the moment.
> Janos Blazi

Works for me (both then and now).  Try it again.

Wed, 29 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compling Scheme to native code?
Oh! I have tried to access the site from IE5, maybe it does not work with
anonymous ftp?

J.B.

Quote:

> > The link seems to be broken at the moment.
> > Janos Blazi

> Works for me (both then and now).  Try it again.

Wed, 29 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can scheme be compile to native machine code?

2. native-code Scheme compilers for Linux

3. ANN: Native Unicode support in Pocket Scheme

4. Scheme Repository [was Re: typesetting Scheme code]

5. Native code compilers

6. CRC-32 native code for DOS GForth 0.5.0

7. CRC-32 native code for VFX Forth

8. CRC-32 native code for SwiftForth

9. CRC-32 native code for Win32Forth

10. Forth-like Simplifications for Native One-Stack Code

11. Re(try): A native-code compiler in Forth

12. A native-code Java compiler in Forth