administrivia
Author Message
 administrivia

Ladies and Gentlemen:

The long-promised move to new hardware, which some of you may have
previously heard of, is finally about to happen.  In the next day or so
(unless the sky falls), the name MC will move from a seriously old,
overloaded, underpowered MicroVax to an only slightly old Sun of much
greater capacity.  In theory this change will be transparent to you; the
digestifier will just keep working, and the digests will simply continue to
arrive.  In practice, well, doubtless you've heard about the best-laid
plans of mice and men.  We've tried to anticipate problems, but it's hard
to anticipate what one doesn't expect.  If we run into trouble, please bear
with us; we'll try to make the transition as brief and painless as
possible.

Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 administrivia

Attentive Scheme Digest readers will have noticed that V8 #224 consisted
entirely of messages from last May.  Well, we warned you that there might
be some glitches while we switched the digestifier to new hardware!  In
fact, those messages had been stuck in limbo since May due to a bug that
was fixed as part of porting the digestifier to the new environment.  There
aren't any more such stuck messages, so that won't be happening again.

the digest's header in a couple of places where it used to say

Mon, 18 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 administrivia

Quote:

> In practice, well, doubtless you've heard about the best-laid
> plans of mice and men.

One of the most often misquoted lines. It's "the best-laid *schemes*
of mice and men".

No fooling.

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 administrivia

[Pandora Berman]

|  In practice, well, doubtless you've heard about the best-laid
|  plans of mice and men.

[Jin S. Choi]

|  One of the most often misquoted lines. It's "the best-laid
|  *schemes* of mice and men".
|
|  No fooling.

Indeed.  And the full version of the warning is "The best-laid schemes
of mice and men gang oft agley".  (Translated from the Scottish, the
ending becomes "...often turn awry".  "Gang" is literally "go", though.)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Administrivia

2. Administrivia

3. Administrivia

4. Administrivia: New Digestifier installed.

5. Administrivia - move to AJPO.SEI.CMU.EDU

6. host name changes administrivia

7. Administrivia - host nicknames and updates

8. Administrivia and dyslexia (or just plain tiredness)

9. Administrivia (sort-of)

10. Administrivia: ASR to be Available on wuarchive

11. Administrivia: ASR Support

12. Administrivia : VARIOUS THINGS