Basic CS question from R4RS
Author Message
 Basic CS question from R4RS

I was recently reading R4RS and saw something in the first paragraph
that i do not understand, to wit: "A wide variety of programming
paradigms, including imperative, functional, and message passing
styles, find convenient expression in scheme"

So what are imperative, and functional paradigms? I can guess that
the only things I am really familiar with, C, FORTRASH, Pascal .. are
imperative, and message passing paradigms are like the GUI methods
commonly used, but what is 'functional'?

Also how does one 'conveniently express' these different paradigms?

Pointers to existing documentation that answer these questions would be
appreciated, or answers to the newsgroup. I read every day.

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic CS question from R4RS

All of the languages you mention (C, fortran, and Pascal) are in the
imperative paradigm.  If you use assignment (set-car!, etc.) Scheme
is also imperative.  The functional paradigm includes languages like
Haskell and Miranda which have no concept of assignment to variables.
Everything is done with recursion and function calls.  The
message-passing paradigm is more loosely defined as the object-oriented
paradigm and includes languages like Smalltalk and Actor.  Typically,
the fourth paradigm is logic-based, with Prolog being the most prevalent.

Any decent book on programming languages should cover the basics of all
4 paradigms. For a Scheme flavor, try SICP.

:
: So what are imperative, and functional paradigms? I can guess that
: the only things I am really familiar with, C, FORTRASH, Pascal .. are
: imperative, and message passing paradigms are like the GUI methods
: commonly used, but what is 'functional'?
:
: Also how does one 'conveniently express' these different paradigms?
:
: Pointers to existing documentation that answer these questions would be
: appreciated, or answers to the newsgroup. I read every day.
:
: --
: -----------------------------------------------------------------

: -----------------------------------------------------------------

/*  Andrew  */
WWW: http://www.halcyon.com/ast

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic CS question from R4RS

Quote:

>I was recently reading R4RS and saw something in the first paragraph
>that i do not understand, to wit: "A wide variety of programming
>paradigms, including imperative, functional, and message passing
>styles, find convenient expression in scheme"

>So what are imperative, and functional paradigms? I can guess that
>the only things I am really familiar with, C, FORTRASH, Pascal .. are
>imperative, and message passing paradigms are like the GUI methods
>commonly used, but what is 'functional'?

>Also how does one 'conveniently express' these different paradigms?

>Pointers to existing documentation that answer these questions would be
>appreciated, or answers to the newsgroup. I read every day.

I have written a short paper which is a brief introduction to functional
programming.  It can be got from my home page
at http:/www.eng2.uconn.edu/~jeffm.

-Jeff

Thu, 30 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

2. a binding question in R4RS

3. Questions about R4RS (the document)

4. R4RS/IEEE Scheme syntax question

5. three R4RS/IEEE questions

6. R4RS high level macro question

7. r4rs-syntax question

8. question about R4RS decisions

9. stupid question re:st.cs.uiuc.edu ftp

10. Device Driver: from Apple III BASIC to IBM BASIC

11. Please help Visual Basic Programer with simple read/write text file routine---Real Basic 2.1

12. Visual basic or real basic?