Q: distributing MIT Scheme?
Author Message
 Q: distributing MIT Scheme?

I have a question re: the distribution of MIT Scheme: Does the copyleft
allow distributing just a runtime version on a disk included with a
commercially sold book, if it is explained how to get the source code?

Several years ago I wrote a Common LISP book for Springer-Verlag, using
Macintosh Common LISP for the examples.  Readers with a PC and without
a Mac and Mac Common LISP were out of luck since a good cheap CL for the
PC was not available.

I have been thinking of doing another applications book, but based on
MIT Scheme.  If it is permitted, it would be ideal to be able to
include a couple of disk with the new book containing both the source
to the example programs, AND, the MIT Scheme runtime files.  Just about
everyone has access to a Windows machine (yuk), so this would be most
convenient for my readers.

Is this legal, AND OK with with the "thousands" of MIT Scheme author's?

Thanks much in advance for any information,
  Mark Watson

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:04:23 GMT
 Q: distributing MIT Scheme?

Quote:

>I have a question re: the distribution of MIT Scheme: Does the copyleft
>allow distributing just a runtime version on a disk included with a
>commercially sold book, if it is explained how to get the source code?

I am not a lawyer or a FSF rep, (so why am I responding?), but sure. The
Copyleft says, in effect, if you distribute the binaries you have to make the
sources available in some reasonable manner. FTP to the original site,
purchasing the FSF tape, etc. are all reasonable.

Quote:
>I have been thinking of doing another applications book, but based on
>MIT Scheme.  If it is permitted, it would be ideal to be able to
>include a couple of disk with the new book containing both the source
>to the example programs, AND, the MIT Scheme runtime files.  Just about
>everyone has access to a Windows machine (yuk), so this would be most
>convenient for my readers.

What are the requirements to run MIT Scheme on Windows (tm!)?

If you restrict your code to using R4RS or IEEE Scheme plus SLIB, then it will
be much more widely available: Windows, Mac, etc. with minimal hardware.

Maybe this depends on the topic and the MIT Scheme features that simplify your
work?

Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:15:17 GMT
 Q: distributing MIT Scheme?

Quote:

>> I have a question re: the distribution of MIT Scheme: Does the copyleft
>> allow distributing just a runtime version on a disk included with a
>> commercially sold book, if it is explained how to get the source code?

Patrick> I am not a lawyer or a FSF rep, (so why am I responding?),
Patrick> but sure. The Copyleft says, in effect, if you distribute the
Patrick> binaries you have to make the sources available in some
Patrick> reasonable manner. FTP to the original site, purchasing the
Patrick> FSF tape, etc. are all reasonable.

You are wrong.

If you do a binary-only distribution of a GPL'd program, the GPL
requires *you* to make the sources available, for a distribution
charge only, for three years.  Read the GPL if you don't believe me.

Better yet: don't believe me.  If you have questions about the GPL,

ask away.  You can also ask your lawyer, but that will cost more.

Tom
--

"{*filter*} and farce are always inexplicably linked"
        -- Alexander Theroux

Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:04:51 GMT
 Q: distributing MIT Scheme?
Mark Watson [on distributing MIT Scheme with an applications
book]:

   I have been thinking of doing another applications book, but based on
   MIT Scheme.  If it is permitted, it would be ideal to be able to
   include a couple of disk with the new book containing both the source
   to the example programs, AND, the MIT Scheme runtime files.  Just about
   everyone has access to a Windows machine (yuk), so this would be most
   convenient for my readers.

why not include Scheme 48 instead? your readers would get a good
scheme in well-written [hi jar] scheme, and would be able to comprehend
it as well. an application book that contains a good application is
a winner.

oz
---

Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:45:17 GMT

1. MIT Scheme 7.5a and MIT Scheme 7.4.2

2. Need comparison between Bigloo scheme, MIT-sheme,PLT-scheme

3. TI Scheme functions for MIT C-Scheme - 3 of 3

4. TI Scheme functions for MIT C-Scheme - 2 of 3

5. TI Scheme functions for MIT C-Scheme - 1 of 3

6. Need comparison between Bigloo scheme, MIT-sheme,PLT-scheme

7. Looking for uncorrupted PC Scheme and help with MIT Scheme 6.001

8. book for MIT scheme?

9. Subprocesses and MIT Scheme

10. MIT Scheme question !

11. MIT Scheme 7.4.2 installation/keyboard layout problems under Win 95

12. MIT scheme: string->list on long strings