Don't Understand this Dr. Scheme Answer
Author Message
 Don't Understand this Dr. Scheme Answer

I am just starting out with scheme attempting to teach myself using
DrScheme and the Teach
Yourself Scheme in n Days tutorial that can be downloaded with version
103.5d104.  I tried
the following to check reciprocal:

         (/ 3) and it yielded 1/3 as expected

then

         (- 3) and it yielded the negative or -3 as expected

but then

         (- (/ 3)) and it yielded a -2/3 as NOT expected.  Why doesn't
this evaluate to -1/3?

Is this an error in Dr Scheme or is there something I don't understand.
By the way, I had
Dr Scheme in the "Full Scheme" mode when I did this.

Regards,
Jeff Stephens

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:34:26 GMT
 Don't Understand this Dr. Scheme Answer

[...]

Quote:
>          (- (/ 3)) and it yielded a -2/3 as NOT expected.  Why doesn't
> this evaluate to -1/3?

It does here! I'm running version 103 under Windows 98.

[...]

Quote:
> Is this an error in Dr Scheme or is there something I don't understand.
> By the way, I had
> Dr Scheme in the "Full Scheme" mode when I did this.

Same here

--
Glauber Ribeiro

"Opinions stated are my own and not representative of Experian"

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 05:08:34 GMT
 Don't Understand this Dr. Scheme Answer

Quote:

> I am just starting out with scheme attempting to teach myself using
> DrScheme and the Teach
> Yourself Scheme in n Days tutorial that can be downloaded with version
> 103.5d104.

>          (- (/ 3)) and it yielded a -2/3 as NOT expected.  Why doesn't
> this evaluate to -1/3?

I just tried it w/ v102 and got the expected answer.  You may want to file
a bug report.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:55:52 GMT
 Don't Understand this Dr. Scheme Answer

Quote:

>> I am just starting out with scheme attempting to teach myself using
>> DrScheme and the Teach
>> Yourself Scheme in n Days tutorial that can be downloaded with version
>> 103.5d104.

>>          (- (/ 3)) and it yielded a -2/3 as NOT expected.  Why doesn't
>> this evaluate to -1/3?

>I just tried it w/ v102 and got the expected answer.  You may want to file
>a bug report.

Or he may want to double-check that he typed what he thought he typed....

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:57:23 GMT
 Don't Understand this Dr. Scheme Answer
Found out from the user's list that this was a bug that was supposed to
have been fixed, but hadn't been.  I just received an
email saying it was now fixed and available for download from anoncvs
which is where I had gotten the version I am using.
I am using version 103.5d104 which I downloaded as per instructions at
www.cs.utah.edu/plt/anoncvs.
Quote:

> I am just starting out with scheme attempting to teach myself using
> DrScheme and the Teach
> Yourself Scheme in n Days tutorial that can be downloaded with version
> 103.5d104.  I tried
> the following to check reciprocal:

>          (/ 3) and it yielded 1/3 as expected

> then

>          (- 3) and it yielded the negative or -3 as expected

> but then

>          (- (/ 3)) and it yielded a -2/3 as NOT expected.  Why doesn't
> this evaluate to -1/3?

> Is this an error in Dr Scheme or is there something I don't understand.
> By the way, I had
> Dr Scheme in the "Full Scheme" mode when I did this.

> Regards,
> Jeff Stephens

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:35:53 GMT

1. don't understand cause of `sysread': Bad file descriptor (Errno::EBADF)

2. Scheme in Dr. Dobb's

3. Scheme in Dr. Dobb's

4. Reports - Error message I don't understand

5. ordcreate with DBFCDX, don't understand

6. Don't understand exception trace

7. I don't understand why my haskell program works

8. I don't understand this

9. Something I don't understand about bindings

10. HELP!I don't understand an assembly source code

11. Learning assy: I don't understand concept of CBW instruction

12. I don't understand tables and arrays