PC Scheme vs. 486
Author Message
 PC Scheme vs. 486

In my SICP-based course we are using Chez Scheme in the computer lab but
suggest MacScheme and PC Scheme to students who want to work at home.

Several students this semester have complained that they got PC Scheme
(the student version) and it won't run for them; it loads but everything
they try gets an error message.  An informal poll seems to be showing that
the students who are having trouble are the ones with 486-based PCs.

Does anyone have any information about this?  Is there a way to get it
to work properly?  (Sorry if this is a FAQ.)

Thanks.

Thu, 21 Jul 1994 07:04:36 GMT
 PC Scheme vs. 486

Quote:

> Several students this semester have complained that they got PC Scheme
> (the student version) and it won't run for them; it loads but everything
> they try gets an error message.  An informal poll seems to be showing that
> the students who are having trouble are the ones with 486-based PCs.

We've had the same problem at RAND - when we try to run TI's PC-Scheme
on 486 boxes, we get strange error messages that are not completely
repeatable from run to run.  Looks like something in PC-Scheme's memory
management fights with the 486 hardware.

We haven't taken the time to patch the problem yet - we've just kept
using 386 boxes.  Has anyone else fixed this?  -B

"Simulate it in ROSS"
Brian Leverich                       | Post: Resource Management Department
Voice:    (310) 393-0411 x7769       |       The RAND Corporation

UUCP:     uunet!randvax!leverich     |       Santa Monica, CA 90407-2138

Fri, 22 Jul 1994 00:53:45 GMT

1. PC-Scheme on a 486

2. PC Scheme 486/Windows

3. PC Scheme (full version, 3.03) runs on a 486

4. PC-Scheme on 486 with Dos 5

5. PC-Scheme fails on 486's

6. PC Scheme on a 486?

7. Need scheme for 486 PC

8. (Big) Problems with PC-SCHEME on a 486

9. PC Scheme (full version, 3.03) runs on a 486

10. seek advice on mac vs 486 for scheme

11. Intel 486 vs AMD 486

12. 486 vs Sparc vs Mac